When to use woods

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Like ronsill, exactly what it says on the subject line.

I recently started playing golf, i picked up an old set of clubs and i've got a 3 and 5 wood, I occasionally use the 3 wood of the tee, or when i've got a stonker of a shot left on a par 4/5, when should you really be using a wood, i've never hit my 5 wood yet and i'm wondering if i'm leaving it in the bag when i should use it.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Very much depends on how well you hit them, I don't use a driver much preferring my 3-wood and on an average day I'll get somewhere between 225 and 250yds out of her (allowing for wind etc) on a good day (wind behind etc) I'll get more...

Never used a 5-wood 'well' not in anger anyway although I do have a 7-wood which I get about 180-200yds maybe a touch more on a well struck shot, once again dependant on conditions...

Fairways are what they're designed for though...

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
its dependent on the person. from day 1 i found the driver the easiest club to hit. as a high handicaper i could never strike irons well.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It depends on the distance you want to cover. You need to do a bit of experimenting on how far you and how well you hit each club.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As hovis says. But when i hit a good three wood it flies. Trouble is i tend to knob the odd one or two which costs me dear on nigh on every Round.