When things are going really bad in your game what do you do?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just go out and hit the ball. Stuff the score, go and have a blast/lash.

25 lessons, taking onboard that many new things. When do you find time to groove them before the next one and the next one and the next one.

Surely the pro can see you’re really struggling with it all, and he’s still pressing on and taking your money?

Stop the lessons for a good few weeks and just go and have some fun.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure how to read that

Are you saying you've got the balance too far the other way now (too much course time / not enough instruction) :confused:

I read it that his handicap doesn't move down whatever he does....but there a blog there to get all the detail you need on the subject!

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
When my game goes to **** (pretty frequently, alas) I scale everything back. Fewer clubs and fewer partners.

Spending time with three or four clubs only and with no-one who cares about the score really helps.

All the way to one club and no partners, which has become my favourite game :)

bm

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I think there does become a time when you need to stop having lessons and try and own your swing. I have very occasional lessons and almost only ever Flightscope/Trackman driven sessions. I find eternal swing by numbers lessons just fill my head with so many swing thoughts, I've got no chance of hitting the ball.

If you know what your good/bad tendencies are, you are almost there. Understand these, be able to identify them and their causes/effects, and work on simple excercises and drills.

As an aside, I am in the same boat. My game has left town at the moment (Dire of tee or fairway). Recalling my last Flightscope sessions and a bit of self video, looks like it will have me back on track.

Keep at it and good luck.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just go out and hit the ball. Stuff the score, go and have a blast/lash.

25 lessons, taking onboard that many new things. When do you find time to groove them before the next one and the next one and the next one.

Surely the pro can see you’re really struggling with it all, and he’s still pressing on and taking your money?

Stop the lessons for a good few weeks and just go and have some fun.

That's just the way Brian.

And so after Saturday's OK medal with no s****s I went out again yesterday evening - played 12 holes by myself with two balls - and not a s***k in sight. Which is all a bit weird given my Thursday evening lesson when the pro reckoned I s***ked 80% of balls hit in the hour.

But I knew I just had to get back onto the golf course where I am comfortable; where I know what I am doing and, most importantly, where I am happy.

I may not have another lesson for a few weeks - maybe not until after my coach and I play Southerness in August (my coach is my daughters b/friend :) and we are all going up to Embra for my birthday)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure how to read that

Are you saying you've got the balance too far the other way now (too much course time / not enough instruction) :confused:

Not sure really. I have spent so many seasons chained to the practice ground working on stuff after lessons and never getting better I made a conscious effort in 2018 to focus practice solely on short game from 100 yards and in and only hit balls one day a week to keep the basics honed. After that I wanted to play and test the game in real time situations. I feel it's helping. I had a win and a second and got cut from 15-14 but can't seem to kick on again.

D

Deleted member 15717

what do i do? I usually moan a lot, sulk and stop playing for a bit. Then try again and do a bit more moaning and sulking.

I have been hitting it really well for the past few weeks, then played 36 on Friday and couldn't hit anything but a large cut. Range last night, and the same. Heading back to the range again tonight to see if I can figure it out

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Dump the coach, end of.

i booked in for five lessons and wanted them over five days. He/coach said we will get them in over 10 weeks. He wanted me to have a lesson and go away and practice, get muscle memory, routines or rituals, etc etc. Don't know how you can do that when you have a lesson nigh on every week.
I would say go back to basics, but by the sounds of your game, am not sure the basics are even right. ☹️

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My games gone at the moment very frustrating.
Hit it well on the practice ground but just can’t take it to the course.
This happens now and again but has lasted a lot longer this time and I have run out of excuses.
Really don’t know what to do but just wait and let it sort itself out.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spill the beans Rob.:cool:

LOL nothing much to report- was 2 over handicap. Also played Sunday and was 1 over handicap which is a step in the right direction.

I didn't say much on the responses but thanks for all- the lessons though really aren't the fault of the teachers it's myself that's been asking for them- really I was trying to groove a driver swing and it's still something I'm struggling with if I'm honest but I know what to work on.... with that I had been ignoring all other parts of my game and old faults crept in there also.

Had a good long chat with the pro at the club and discussed my number one thing to concentrate on is shallowing downswing for more in to out path. So have stopped the lessons completely and just went and worked on that plus a bit more pitching & chipping and seems to be helping.

Also although I'm stopping lessons I'm going to start videoing myself more as I can see old faults which have crept in when I had stopped doing this hadn't realised until I videod myself.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just needing a place to brag so don't read if this bores you to tears :-D

BUT have forgot all about lessons, forgetting about shallowing downswing, forgetting about getting into positions.... and last 4 rounds have been 82 (medal), 99 (medal oops), 81 (Bounce) and last night had my best ever round of 78 playing on my own putted out every hole (29 Putts) from medal tees.

First time breaking 80 and should have been so much better. level par 35 on front 9- 1 Birdie, 1 Bogie. Then on 15th was still only 2 over but was running out of light fast... on 16th missed a 3 foot putt for par, on 17th was hitting my 2nd shot in the dark- had a 2 ball in front playing a bounce game and proceeded to spend 5 minutes in the dark looking for a ball in the trees :-( when they decided to leave it I ended up just short of the green and chipped to 8 feet and just missed my putt for par. On the 18th I couldn't see a thing so I had to hit 3 tee shots lol just to make sure I'd find one to break 80.... luckily my 1st shot was bang in the middle of the fairway but I could hardly see it so again was difficult to even make contact- hit a bad 2nd shot with 5 iron leaving me 100 yards short of green, hit my 52 degree had no idea where it went (in a bunker), hit a decent bunker shot but was 20 feet short of pin but hit it a bit hot and ended up 5 feet short and missed putt back.

So pretty ecstatic with the score but could have been so much better if I had started earlier and had light and not rushing last 4 holes. Good to know I can go even better though.

Main thing I've found (especially with woods) is ball position Key for me- I need it a bit further back or I chop down on it too steep.

Arccos Stats:
10 Pars, 1 Birdie, 6 Bogeys, 1 Treble,
FIR (8/14)
GIR (8/18)
Putts: 29 (8x1, 9x2, 1x3)
Chip & down: 3/8
Sand & down: 2/3
Putts per hole: 1.61
Putts per GIR: 1.86

Que the weekend medal this weekend where I shoot 95 :-D

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
After yesterday, get a lesson.

Focus on one thing that you can practice and take confidence from.

For me, I had a dreadful game last week. Very few positives from driving, irons, wedges, chipping and putting.

I decided to book a lesson and decided to focus solely on the short game, which was last night.
If I am playing poorly and hit a bad tee shot, it is important that I can lay it up to short of the green and have confidence that I can get it on and 2 putt (at the least) to limit the damage.
Often, being out of position off the tee, it is very easy to make things worse by trying to take on a shot from the rough and a potential 2 putt bogey could turn into a big number.

We had a very simple lesson on chipping, both higher shots and lower shots. The higher shots I was fine with. Never struggled with confidence about playing these, but if anything I play them too often even though I know I should be playing a lower shot, when the situation allows. And obviously you have to get the strike dead on with a higher shot.

Within a 40 minute lesson he had totally transformed my view of how to play the lower shots. And not only was I playing them reasonably well, but I knew I would play the shot well before I hit it.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it isn't going well for me?

Encourage the others I'm playing with, make sure I'm enjoyable for them to be with and remember its a hobby and if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't play the game.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seriously? No one? Lessons, practice, no practice, drinking and no one has given the correct answer.

Get on the bay and get some new clubs. They come with special fluid on them that's a cure all for about 5 rounds. Good grief I sometimes dispair about the advice thrown around on here.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ha grant I seen you getting a lesson with Stuart as I teed off (It's Stuart Wright here I played with you a couple of weeks ago)

Stuarts a great coach... but as I said I've had too many lessons in the past year and my head was well and truly scrambled. Since I stopped I have had my 3 best scores of the year.
After yesterday, get a lesson.

Focus on one thing that you can practice and take confidence from.

For me, I had a dreadful game last week. Very few positives from driving, irons, wedges, chipping and putting.

I decided to book a lesson and decided to focus solely on the short game, which was last night.
If I am playing poorly and hit a bad tee shot, it is important that I can lay it up to short of the green and have confidence that I can get it on and 2 putt (at the least) to limit the damage.
Often, being out of position off the tee, it is very easy to make things worse by trying to take on a shot from the rough and a potential 2 putt bogey could turn into a big number.

We had a very simple lesson on chipping, both higher shots and lower shots. The higher shots I was fine with. Never struggled with confidence about playing these, but if anything I play them too often even though I know I should be playing a lower shot, when the situation allows. And obviously you have to get the strike dead on with a higher shot.

Within a 40 minute lesson he had totally transformed my view of how to play the lower shots. And not only was I playing them reasonably well, but I knew I would play the shot well before I hit it.

Ha grant I seen you getting a lesson with Stuart as I teed off (It's Stuart Wright here I played with you a couple of weeks ago)

Stuarts a great coach... but as I said I've had too many lessons in the past year and my head was well and truly scrambled. Since I stopped I have had my 3 best scores of the year.