When is it too hot to play golf?

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im off next week for a birthday treat from the other half to Dubai. Looking at the weather its going to be about 39 degrees. Ive never played in that sort of heat so is it possible???

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never played when it's that hot myself (not had opportunity) but have a mate who regularly goes to Tunisia - and has played when it was 40 degrees. Buggy essential I'm told - and a truckload of drinks.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's never too hot. Your only swinging a club and jumping in a buggy. Plenty fluids and cold beer in the clubhouse.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played once in Cyprus when it hit 38C on the course, not my idea of fun, but with a buggy and lots of fluids we got around.

After we been to the 19th we went to the club house and cancelled golf for the following day which as it turned out was the right choice as it hit 40C the following day and they shut the course.

Temp around 20-24C is ideal for me.

rosswilliams

Club Champion
Visit site
Its fine, but mke sure you stay hydrated. Buggies have cool boxes and there's huts and refreshment carts going round on the courses. I played through the summer in late 40 heat and that really is hard work. If you are concerned, just get out earlier in the morning if you can.

Where are you playing?

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its fine, but mke sure you stay hydrated. Buggies have cool boxes and there's huts and refreshment carts going round on the courses. I played through the summer in late 40 heat and that really is hard work. If you are concerned, just get out earlier in the morning if you can.

Where are you playing?
Im staying at Ja Palm which has a 9 hole resort course but was looking at the montgomery and maybe a bit of night golf but will have to check as its just myself as my other half doesnt play. The resort course is quite cheap to play and looks good but if im spending a few quid on the monty etc i dont want to pay and find it unbearable.

rosswilliams

Club Champion
Visit site
Havent played over there yet, but heards its decent. If you want to play night golf have a look at the Faldo @ Emirates. Its 200-250 aed for 9 holes and a nice course. That and Montgommery bit of a trek from Jebel Ali though.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Im off next week for a birthday treat from the other half to Dubai. Looking at the weather its going to be about 39 degrees. Ive never played in that sort of heat so is it possible???

Avoid midday. Otherwise the buggy is basically always included and they have water everywhere. Be prepared to drink 4+ litres on the way round and not need to take leak.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
When you reach the melting point of steel and your clubs lose there structural integrity. Is this a serious thread lol I'm sure everyone has different comfort levels regarding temperature

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Back in 2012 a mate & I played in Madeira when it was 39ºC.
Our wives walked round with us and carried the water whilst we carried our clubs.
It was hot, but it was a dry heat, and because we had plenty of water it was easily playable.
The course was quiet, so we didn't have to rush, and the beer afterwards was truly epic!!
The following day the course was closed due to several wildfires, one of which got within 20yds of the clubhouse!

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played in Dubai & Abu Dhabi 5-6 times throughout all times in the day. The absolute best round I've ever had was 0530 at Dubai Creek and it was beautiful, prob still late 20's, early 30's but two of us in a buggy were round in 2.45hrs (we both played well). The hottest was in Ras Al Khaimah and someone reckoned it was late 40's which was almost to hot to be fun but hey, mad dogs and Englishmen...
When I played the Mijas course the taxi driver said to me as he was getting my clubs out the boot at 11am 'sire it's 38 degrees?' ha ha.
As everyone says buggies are included in all rounds, each has a cool box full of ice, wet towels are given out, water bottles can be refilled on each tee and the drinks cart will be round often enough to sell you some peanuts to go with your beer. I've not played night golf but I have been on the practice ground at 10pm and still 28 degrees then but it's great fun. Enjoy.

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Will definitely be playing no matter what so will just carry plenty of water and will use a buggy.

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've played in Dubai & Abu Dhabi 5-6 times throughout all times in the day. The absolute best round I've ever had was 0530 at Dubai Creek and it was beautiful, prob still late 20's, early 30's but two of us in a buggy were round in 2.45hrs (we both played well). The hottest was in Ras Al Khaimah and someone reckoned it was late 40's which was almost to hot to be fun but hey, mad dogs and Englishmen...
When I played the Mijas course the taxi driver said to me as he was getting my clubs out the boot at 11am 'sire it's 38 degrees?' ha ha.
As everyone says buggies are included in all rounds, each has a cool box full of ice, wet towels are given out, water bottles can be refilled on each tee and the drinks cart will be round often enough to sell you some peanuts to go with your beer. I've not played night golf but I have been on the practice ground at 10pm and still 28 degrees then but it's great fun. Enjoy.
Thanks for the info. The resort course should work well being a 9 holer. If i play early then i should be back in time for breakfast still. The practice facilities shut at 7.30pm unfortunately.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played in Florida and it must have been hitting that in the sun although you can expect it to be a good bit higher side that's probably shade temps. Buggy, lots of fluids. A cold towel and a hat drenched in cold water will probably help as well.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Often play in 44-46c weather here in AZ in the summer time. Lots of water, a golf cart and lots more water plus a cool hat (I have a bushwhacker you can soak with water and soak it every 6 holes!)

michaeljpoole

Medal Winner
Visit site
I live in HK and it gets to 35 degrees with 90% humidity in the summer here. I'd take a 40 degree dry heat over it any day of the week (did it in Vegas)

buggies are recommended and just drink a lot of fluid as word of warning..... you will sweat