When is a starting time not a starting time? 😀

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
We have an online booking system in place on Saturday morning. It was wet first thing, but was forecast to brighten up.

When I went to the tee there was a group sitting in the shelter on the first tee.

I asked what time they were. They said they should have been an hour earlier, but cancelled their online booking due to the early rain. They were now waiting for a gap.

No harm done, but not sure that's totally OK.

D

Deleted member 15344

We have an online booking system in place on Saturday morning. It was wet first thing, but was forecast to brighten up.

When I went to the tee there was a group sitting in the shelter on the first tee.

I asked what time they were. They said they should have been an hour earlier, but cancelled their online booking due to the early rain. They were now waiting for a gap.

No harm done, but not sure that's totally OK.

Sorry what’s the issue ? They would just move their tee time to when there is a gap ?

It’s what many players do if they need to move their tee time

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We had an hour delay due to lightening, as a result all subsequent tee times were pushed back an hour. As I had a 1:20pm time and that was after the break I didn’t start until 2:20pm and finish until 7pm. Felt a little disgruntled but suppose little option.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Terms of the Competition should make it clear whether you are allowed to change your tee time and if so set a deadline. My club's rule used to be that you could change up to 5pm the day before but that's been amended to the first tee time on the day of the competition. The merits of one over the other are immaterial. All that matters is that it's clear what can change but only up to a specified time.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I play. When players are entered in to a comp the only people who can cancel the tee time are the staff in the office.

We set a deadline to players cancelling and getting their money back to stop players from cancelling just because the weather is bad, this used to be 5pm on a Thursday for a Saturday comp.

One of the other things is that because the booking system is 'computer controlled' it is not possible to enter the comp once it has started.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Our starter manages the start sheet, moving groups as appropriate. If the competition is due to start in poor weather, it will either be delayed a short while and the entire field moved back, or cancelled, as we have relatively small fields. Individual groups aren’t given the option to play later.

Unless it’s a medical emergency, to withdraw and have our entry fee refunded we need to contact a representative from our competitions committee, by email, phone call or text, at least 48 hours prior to the day of the competition. No-shows on the day are dealt with on a sliding scale - email for first offence, snotty email for second, three competition ban for any subsequent transgression.