When is a ball unplayable - definition - spirit of the game?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
you were ahead of your time.... by about 5 year :LOL:
Yes Patrick I'm a lot more than 5 years in front of you mate :p
The King of Kings was a fantastic idea and eventually a great success thanks to Dave's original idea and organisation.
The final played at Hillside GC, couldn't have happened without the co-operation of Golf Monthly and many other members trying bring it together.
Despite the usual moaning, complaining, trolling, nit picking, from some members.
Anyone up for organising another King of Kings regional/ national comp ???????????????.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I know that it is up to the player himself to declare a ball as unplayable anywhere in general area etc but is there a definition of unplayable that should apply? Let me explain my concern...

I have never experienced it myself but I have been told that there are a number of members who automatically take stroke and distance relief when they enter a bunker from a distance without inspecting the lie to determine whether it is truly 'unplayable' even when it lies perfectly within the bunker. Out comes the second ball for a single shot penalty, the first being picked out of the bunker as they pass. This is used most frequently on the most difficult bunkers so they never get that 3 or 4 shot exit that some of us occasionally suffer!

Those of us who have served a 'proper apprenticeship' would naturally examine the lie and if ok would take our shot (or shots!) and medicine and learn from the experience. The score would record this and up would go the handicap if it was a particularly severe trap. Fair enough.

But I suspect that they are confusing 'unplayable' as in impossible lie, embedded, tucked under fringe etc etc with 'unplayable' as in 'I lack the skill to hit from a bunker' resulting in them getting a potentially significant scoring benefit and perhaps even a win.

Personally I do not believe that their approach is within the spirit of the game of golf. (After all, if it is then why bother to have bunkers at all - just mark a shape on the fairway and if you land in it take a 1 shot stroke and distance penalty and move on! It would save a fortune for golf clubs in bunker creation and maintenance!)

I detest it but it happens apparently and the handicap police appear to accept it but what do you think?

Don't have an issue. It's certainly not within the spirit of the game, but when you see the kinds of drops pros are asking for, and often getting, in tournament play I don't think we can say golf has a moral superiority to any other sports any more.

But ultimately it's within the rules and taking stroke and distance, they are still giving a full shot away and rarely likely to threaten in too many comps.

Swango1980

Visit site
Don't have an issue. It's certainly not within the spirit of the game, but when you see the kinds of drops pros are asking for, and often getting, in tournament play I don't think we can say golf has a moral superiority to any other sports any more.

But ultimately it's within the rules and taking stroke and distance, they are still giving a full shot away and rarely likely to threaten in too many comps.

Did you mean "it's certainly not within the spirit of the game" despite having no issue with it? Surely it is absolutely within the spirit of the game, as you are using the rules to help you out of a situation that you know you are unlikely to get out off by any other means. If it was against the spirit of the game, then I'm pretty sure the R&A would just change the rules to ensure you HAD to play your way out of a bunker?

Put another way, nobody has an issue with left-handed golfers. I've never heard it said that left-handed golfers play golf against the spirit of the game because they lack the ability the majority of golfers have of playing right-handed. As you mention at the end of your comment, golfers who play stroke and distance when they go in a bunker are effectively putting themselves at a disadvantage to golfers who can play out of a bunker, so we're all happy they are not having an unfair advantage. And, personally, I'd get no satisfaction to see a player hitting a dozen shots in a bunker to finally get out, except that if it was a mate or someone of a certain type of relaxed personality, it will give us all a bit of a chuckle.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

That is just not true. It's not a matter of opinion, but of fact. Doing something that is sanctioned by the rules must, by definition, be in the spirit of the game. As must a drop be that has been sanctioned by a referee.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's certainly not within the spirit of the game,
From the book.
It is one of the central principles of the game of golf that players play by the Rules and in the spirit of the game. Rule 1.2 is an important Rule in the Rules of Golf as it details the conduct that is expected of all players and what is meant by spirit of the game.

Rule 1.2 reads as follows:
“All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:
  • Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.