when does a pitch become a chip?

ivan

Medal Winner
Visit site
having just had a lesson to improve my chipping, wondered if there is an easy answer as to when a pitch becomes a chip, is there any general guidance - distance/club etc

chips are usually short, pitches are prob 10yds to 120yds, its a rule of thumb rough guide and at the end of the day it doesnt matter what you call it as long as you do it stiff :D

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say that a pitch usually flies more than it runs out and a chip runs out a lot more than it flies.

Distance is not of importance they are just different types of shots.

A chip can be from 150 yards in the form of a bump and run type shot and a pitch can be less than 5 yards in the form of a lob shot.

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd say that a pitch usually flies more than it runs out and a chip runs out a lot more than it flies.

A chip can be from 150 yards in the form of a bump and run type shot and a pitch can be less than 5 yards in the form of a lob shot.

So Swinger, it is chip and run ... not pitch and run?

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

So Swinger, it is chip and run ... not pitch and run?

I would say the pitch and run term would be used to describe an 'in between' shot. A shot that runs out roughly the same and it flies through the air.

Those shots from just off the green that only just land on the green are defo chip and runs in my book no matter what you use from Driver to LW.

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
my pitchs turn into chips just at the bottom of the downswing, as i skillfully hit ground then ball.

my other specialities are chips into lobs(which occasionally can also be chips into double hits) and 300yard drives into 160yard drive code name POWa-MEGASLICE.

Phil

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'd say a pitch was from a mainly conventional set up, whilst a chip would be off the back foot, with a more open stance, and a closed club face.

Neil_ingle

Hacker
Visit site
Check out the golfplan app that paul azinger does. he explains it perfectly.

One is a leading edge decending blow that runs out (rolls) and the other is where you activate the bounce and has more loft and doesnt roll out as far.

Two very differnet shots but cant remember which is which.

Neil