When do you think you will next play golf?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
As an aside - lockdown is more difficult in bad weather. In last year's Spring lockdown, whilst it was frustrating that we had perfect golf weather and couldn't play, I spent so much time in the garden, reading books, having the odd beer, and just enjoying the sun on a lounger.

This time, I'm reading plenty but stuck inside the house. It is bizarre how much difference the fresh air and warm weather on your skin, impacts on how you feel mentally.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
As an aside - lockdown is more difficult in bad weather. In last year's Spring lockdown, whilst it was frustrating that we had perfect golf weather and couldn't play, I spent so much time in the garden, reading books, having the odd beer, and just enjoying the sun on a lounger.

This time, I'm reading plenty but stuck inside the house. It is bizarre how much difference the fresh air and warm weather on your skin, impacts on how you feel mentally.
Conversely, if BJ said I could play today I wouldn't be able to as the snow and ice have just gone leaving a boating lake and I would be frustrated. If the weather were perfect and the course playable I couldn't play because of LD3 and I would be annoyed.

It is a perfect alignment of the moons, leaving me clicking my heels but not as frustrated as in past winters when it closed or Novembers lockdown when the weather was perfect.

To answer the question. 3rd week in February. Restrictions lifted for golf, course sufficiently recovered........bring it on.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just seen the reply from the Government in response to the petition to allow golf with safety measures. It just reiterates the reason for lockdown, which I’m sure we all understand and agree with, but gives no reason why “exercising with one other person”, which is allowable, should not been done on a golf course in a safe manner. A complete waste of time!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
March. And looking at the current weather and what is predicted, thank God for that.

Just before we were banned again my place introduced a rule that a golf ball lost on a fairway could be replaced with a another ball with a loss of one shot. The word to look at is FAIRWAY!

Crack on everyone. My previous course was half under water last week due to the river bursting it's banks. I'm happy to sit this out, as long as this weather is with us.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just seen the reply from the Government in response to the petition to allow golf with safety measures. It just reiterates the reason for lockdown, which I’m sure we all understand and agree with, but gives no reason why “exercising with one other person”, which is allowable, should not been done on a golf course in a safe manner. A complete waste of time!
They should at least allow people to play golf on their own. There really is no reason not to do that.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm the opposite, no inclination to play while it's so wet and miserable outside. Quite happy to sit it out until the weather improves. As soon as we get some decent weather I'll be champing at the bit!

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I'm the opposite, no inclination to play while it's so wet and miserable outside. Quite happy to sit it out until the weather improves. As soon as we get some decent weather I'll be champing at the bit!

I'm the same - not bothering me as much now as it did back in lockdown 1 when the weather was glorious. Most courses in my area would be shut now anyway so only thing I'm missing is going to the range which I can live with. Will get harder once the weather starts to turn. Last April / May the weather was perfect for golf!

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
If that's true I'll have literally wasted £350 (pro-rata membership from Jan to end of April) and I'd be gutted. :(

I really hope I'm wrong mate but if you think about the position we're in and how cautious the government will be opening things back up this time around I think April / May is realistically what we're looking at unfortunately.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really hope I'm wrong mate but if you think about the position we're in and how cautious the government will be opening things back up this time around I think April / May is realistically what we're looking at unfortunately.
That would be much longer than even the first lockdown though. I'm sure courses were only shut for around 7 weeks previously, from end of March to middle of May? Why would this one be four whole months when they are rolling out vaccines as we speak as well? Surely once they've vaccinated many of the old and vulnerable we can start getting back to a semblance of normal as the rest of us are happy to take our chances.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
March. And looking at the current weather and what is predicted, thank God for that.

Just before we were banned again my place introduced a rule that a golf ball lost on a fairway could be replaced with a another ball with a loss of one shot. The word to look at is FAIRWAY!

That reminds me of playing one course (now closed down) in July and walking off after just 8 holes due to nearly losing the ball on more than one fairway.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No idea...at the moment I'm doing very little projection about 'what might be' on anything. What I know is that our Winter comps have just yesterday all been cancelled/abandoned.

The club has said we'll soon be taking entries for the summer singles K/Os - but we are not making any plans at all for any of our summer pairs K/O comps - so seems that we've decided that we'll not be able to run them unless something dramatically changes in the next few weeks. Whatever will be.