when do you know you've finally got it....

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Was thinking about this yesterday and wondered at what stage do you think "I've finally got it"? what i mean by "it" is the swing you want/need.

Is it when you get to a stage where you can shape the ball either way? is it when you understand why you've hit a bad shot the way you did? is it when you understand all your body, hand and club movements? is it when you consistently hit straight shots? is it when your playing off scratch? does it ever happen? is the chase for perfection futile?

Do pro's even think they've got the swing they want or are they constantly tinkering too. If rory mcilroy walked into a pga pro would the pro watch his swing and simply say "wouldnt change a thing" and send him back out the door or would he start making adjustments to his swing?! Every swing has something in it that makes it adjustable. Some people use "feel" swings and others are more tuned into technical thoughts - do "feel" swingers constantly try to tinker with their swings too?!

Is the search for the perfect swing never ending no matter who or at what stage you are?

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ask Tiger.... he was well on the way to being the greatest player ever, but has altered his swing a few times now.

So the answer is no. If you seeks perfection, you'll never find it. But is anyone actually daft enough to think they can? Most people want it to be good enough for their circumstances, whether tour pro or weekend hacker, i'd say.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's a tough question but...

I believe it's all about confidence.
If you can stand over a shot and be confident you can hit the shot required, and then you hit it, then you'll have "it".
Also, knowing why you hit a shot that didn't go well, also means you know what you're doing.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
So the answer is no. If you seeks perfection, you'll never find it. But is anyone actually daft enough to think they can? Most people want it to be good enough for their circumstances, whether tour pro or weekend hacker, i'd say.

doesnt everyone aspire to perfection?! doesnt every try to hit their perfect shot every time. We rarely hit it perfect and we all understand and accept this but that doesnt stop us striving for it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had moments and rounds when I think I've got "it" but always feel that's a transient thing. That's fine with me (now) and a part of this game that I love. If a pro golfer can swing +/-10 shots from round to round and not be able to control that then I can be easier on myself regarding my attempts to do so.

It's not a game of perfect, but when it feels perfect it is, quite simply, perfect :cheers:

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a tough question but...

I believe it's all about confidence.
If you can stand over a shot and be confident you can hit the shot required, and then you hit it, then you'll have "it".
Also, knowing why you hit a shot that didn't go well, also means you know what you're doing.

Bob your a pga pro and therefore have played to scratch or better - have you stopped making changes to your swing?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its an easy question to answer, you think you finally have it after 1 or 2 good rounds, just as teh golfing gods load up their gun and fire a case of the hooks/shanks/duffs at you and bring you back to reality.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's easy to tell when you HAD something good... like yesterday when you were hitting it better than today..... but you're already busy looking for tomorrows swing :mad::mad:

As your h/cap goes down it means whatever you've got you can do more often :)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The search for the perfect swing has alluded all that seek it, but as Confusious says: 'The secret to perfection in life is always in the 'Wrist Action' :rolleyes:

sJoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You know you've really got it when you can win a Major before the age of 23...break record after record..:)
Or have you ??? Then comes along another Major..Rain. Wind different style of course, game don't adapt..so maybe you ain't got it after all...But keep looking

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've given up a pursuit of anything approaching a technically correct swing. I just want something that repeats and that when it goes wrong I know within reason why and the drill/fix to work on to cure it. It's a crap swing but married to an improving short game, MIGHT get me close to single figures

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I've given up a pursuit of anything approaching a technically correct swing. I just want something that repeats and that when it goes wrong I know within reason why and the drill/fix to work on to cure it. It's a crap swing but married to an improving short game, MIGHT get me close to single figures

I thought you were on the planetruth thing Homer?

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i had it briefley....

went to a lesson, and was taught some thing about hitting down and across the ball as part of the release,

i practiced the drill at a local range,
amazingly i was consistently nailing everything 3 irons low and penetraing about 230 yards 6 irons 180, etc thought id finally cracked it

the next time i played i was back to my usual self, when i tried the drill i was hooking everything
to this day i don't know what i did or how i did it?
and i've never been able to replicate it again :(

a bizaire experience, pretty unbelievabe i guess, though it really did happen

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
someone famous once said (paraphrased) "a good golf swing is only something you borrow, you have to give it back sooner or later"

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I 'had' it on hol once at La Cala, stopped taking practice putts and holed everything, plus my swing felt so repeatable.............last 3 rds were -5, -3, -2, came home to blighty and my swing was left on the plane :angry: