When a child can Play Golf Need Expert Opinions

sarahlouisetr

www.yasmall.ae
Teaching golf to kids may be one in every of the foremost pleasing experiences you'll be able to have within the game. Seeing the pure joy on a child’s face looking at the ball fly into the air once striking it within the sweetspot for the primary time is actually a 1 of a sort moment. I am going to be a new mom soon and I have a question pop up in my mind may be it's little early to ask this but I want to know what is the right age for a kid to play Golf or any sports. I somewhere read a little child can play at 25 months of age. Is this true.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
My son was hitting golf balls at 2 years of age[you-tube]2 year old hit long and straight] thats him in my avatar.
I started him with a club that he tucked under his arm,when he was about 5 i used to take him onto the golf course with me
mainly to watch,teaching him etiquette and where to stand.
I then bought him some bigger clubs and took him quite regular to play and he got quite good,even getting pars on
a par 3.
Now we dont play golf at all together even though he still comes with me on occasions.
If i had to go back i would get him into group lessons to play with people the same age,it may of kept him more interested.
He is now a runner and footballer.

Kids take up sport at all ages and of course that depends on what sport it is.
I would say about 8 or 9 is a good age to get involved in sports a little more seriously,joining clubs is a great way to build confidence,
get new friends and also make them a little more competitive,before this it should be for fun,although the fun should never stop.
Just like anything in life if your not enjoying it its time to look for something new.
My son is now 11 and is going to secondary school so Rugby,Cricket,football and athletics will all be on the curriculum.
Sport is a fantastic way to me other sports minded people.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Buy the child a plastic golf club and plastic balls. If they enjoy playing with them in the garden its a good start but bear in mind that at that early age they will not be able to play on a golf course. The length of a hole and the full course would be frustrating and demoralising for such a young child. A 20 metre hole in the garden is more realistic.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As soon as they are able to hit the ball.
My old club would not let my son play until he was 10yrs old.
By that time he was playing other sports and didn’t want to play golf.
Attitudes have changed now thankfully and for the better imo.
I would say 7/8 yr old to do it properly but a plastic club in the garden as soon as they are able to hold it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thinking about this my daughter was a very good player she broke 90 at the age of 12 in 2008.
I thought we had a very good golfer on our hands but she decided one day that because there were no other girls there that she no longer wanted to play.
This has also changed now , with realistic green fees for children( my club it’s free until 16) .
There are quite a few girls play ,one off 2 cap and she’s a joy to watch swing to die for.
I often think my girl could have been like that, but not to be!
Just try not to be a pushy parent , if they want to play great if they don’t you can’t make them.
Good luck.

D

Deleted member 16999

As the JLO for our Club I’ve just organised 2 x 1 day summer camps for 6-14yr olds, had 2 aged 6 turn up, 1 boy, 1 girl, both enjoyed the days and had no issues learning or taking part.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My three year old (four in October) has been badgering me for weeks to take her golfing so we went on Saturday. Just to the practice area, where she could take an old hybrid of mine and a ball and basically play with them. She knew to aim for a flag and basically dribbled the ball hockey-style towards it. She had a great time and wants to go again. It'll be years before she's ready for real golf but our club does coaching for 5yo upwards so I'd like to keep her interested and having fun until then. I reckon that if she associates golf with fun, regardless of what we actually do, then that might be enough to keep her going until she can join in group lessons with other kids etc.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I bought 2 plastic golf clubs and balls for my daughter to use when she was little. And have been taking her to the driving range since she was two. She is now almost 5 and will ask me to take her to the range. She has now got her own bag with a driver, 2 irons and a putter.

My little lad isn't quite 2 yet and I have not taken him to the range, although he does use the plastic clubs indoors and he loves it. He will be joining me and my daughter at the range soon enough.
Next step is getting them lessons. What I've found is that kids are interested in pretty much anything you give them the opportunity to do.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In particular I agree with the advice not to push or force it. My boy is 4 and he badgered me for ages before 4 to take him out. I bit the bullet, bought him clubs appropriate for his size/age and he loves it. Not allowed on the course at his age, but take to the range once a week. I don't worry about technique or teaching at this age - just fun. he swings and misses about half the time but the joy he gets with the other half when he connects. A lot of the balls are virtually along the ground but every 1 in ten he gets airborn and he just loves this.

Putting is a bit more difficult - struggling with the right pace.

I wouldn't have started before 4 and won't worry about teaching/technique until at least 6.

Fun and enjoyment is key

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
My golfing partner has a 6 year old who has been playing since he turned 4. He won 7 trophies in the Ezgo tour under 7 age group this year, shot a 41 off the junior tees which was +9 for the 9 holes. Still have kids aged 10 playing that course and shooting worse.

He is an awesome little player, drives out to 100 yards but his short game is superb. There are some great players out there aged 5 or 6. We have around 120 junior golfers at our club, which has a full junior academy. My son who is 11 started when he was nearly 10 now has a 27 handicap. If they take to it they seem to love it and can make masive strides in a short space of time

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought plastic clubs for my daughter when she was four.

She used them for galloping up and down the kitchen, pretending they were ponies :)

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Whenever they want - just make it fun, and appropriate for their age. My daughter started at 8 years old in the local club's group lessons (16 hour long lessons over April - September), working towards bronze, silver, gold and platinum standards, with a 4 hole comp off shortened tees on the main course at the beginning of October, followed by lunch, prizes etc in the clubhouse. When they're done (at about 12 years old) they graduate to juniors. She started because she really wanted to do it. They've 57 children in the 8-12 year old range, over a dozen girls. It's great, and the pros who teach make sure it's fun, though still taken seriously.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My son started last year (8yrs) he goes to group lessons on saturdays - where he has made new friends and gets to practice. I normally take him out when it is quiet and let him tee off at the 150 markers. Again to echo what has been said, make it fun and don't force it.

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
The pros at my club work really hard with the juniors and start them at 4. It’s geeat to watch these kids running round after them on the academy holes and practice areas.

As you’d expect the club has some very very good teenagers as a result.