Wheels have came off again

G1z1

Visit site
I just don’t know what to do now, I can’t hit my driver again. It’s always been the same problem since I took up golf 18months ago. I have always been able to hit my irons really well and consistent, it’s only ever the odd bad shot with irons but my driver and 3 wood i have periods that I’m hitting them great for 2/3 weeks then it turns into I can’t hit them at all. I have also worked with 8 different pros in 18 months they all just want to see me hit irons none ever want to work on driver and none of the 8 can get me hitting a driver consistent. So starting to think I will never get this driver fixed. Last week I hit a 330 yard drive and had loads around 280/290 best drives I’ve ever hit and today they were going maybe 100 yards lol. I took a photo I noticed my ball was hitting the ground, any ideas what is causing this ?

011F5BCC-0F04-46AB-9780-E1EBC673A6A3.jpeg

G1z1

Visit site
The pros will be along shortly, what have all 7 pros had you working in as I guess there’s a common issue.

Ps, did you repair the pitch mark?
just edited my post it’s 8 pros ive been too lol yes repair all pitch marks it’s a real hate of mine especially on greens the amount of people who don’t repair them.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That's what I call a top, the club has hit the ball near the top and driven it into the ground.
Try moving the ball forward and use a longer tee, that will help you hit the ball on the way up

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I suffer from something similar and can relate to your problem - although I don't hit it anywhere as far as you! My quick 'fix' is to stop trying to whack the ball miles with a swing that is too fats to control. This makes me unbalanced and I lose shape. Swing easier, give up a potential few yards in distance and it may improve.

Please note, that I am not a low handicapper but know what works when I start topping drives :)

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I agree with Nields above especially when it seems to start happening when you are full of confidence and hitting it well.

RichA

Visit site
I've always struggled with the driver.
I recently bought a steel driver shaft with a Taylormade adapter that fits in my M2. It's the same regular flex but 2.5" shorter and feels less wobbly and more controllable.
If I tee the ball up normally but use a more conservative "iron swing", it's a good confidence booster. I'm losing a little distance and it's not solving the problem, but it's consistently getting the ball in play and out past 200 yards.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I like the nail drill; picture you're hammering a nail through the ball, towards the target. Like this image, but for me, I see the nail tilted up more towards the head.

normal-drive.-1024jpg.jpg

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Definitely seems to be a 'top'. But topping a ball teed on a pink tee takes some doing!
A Pro should be able to identify the problem fairly quickly, but it could simply be related to ball position, lifting your head (and shoulders) on the downswing, or a sway causing your body to get ahead of normal impact position.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Possible sway in backswing?
I have a similar issue and I believe it to be a sway in my backswing - when my drives are too low my head tells me to move myself back during my backswing so that the angle of attack becomes more positive and I hit the ball on the up. But all that does is move the low point of my swing arc too far behind the ball and i top it - also not helped by likelihood that I end up reaching for the ball and club head overtakes hands at the low point. Temporarily (at least) I have narrowed my stance to give my head less room in my backswing to sway and to encourage backswing rotation - and that seems to have stopped my occasional top.

However I don’t really know - but my pro will - it will be obvious to him and he will have an easy fix rather than me having all sorts of theories and remedies - so will touch base with him this weekend.

G1z1

Visit site
I have a lesson today and it’s with the pro who I feel kind of fobs me off when I want to look at the driver. So if I don’t get some answers today this will be my last lesson with them.
Also going to try a few things on the sim this morning see how higher tee and moving ball around works. I have just not been practicing at all recently, so definitely need to get more practice in.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Possible sway in backswing?

It's possible, but as the OP hits his irons ''really well and consistent'', I would say it's unlikely.
However, there is a good chance he is getting ahead of the ball with the big clubs.
To fix that you change either
1. reduce the amount of weight transfer and increase the turn which will reduce the lateral shift on the downswing and flatten out the angle of attack or
2. move the ball forward

So you change the lowest point of the swing to where the ball is or
You move the ball to be where the lowest point of the swing is.
KISS

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a lesson today and it’s with the pro who I feel kind of fobs me off when I want to look at the driver. So if I don’t get some answers today this will be my last lesson with them.
Also going to try a few things on the sim this morning see how higher tee and moving ball around works. I have just not been practicing at all recently, so definitely need to get more practice in.

Don't be scared to move the ball forward as far as your big toe

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If someone is topping the ball why would you move it further forward?

Because he is hitting down on the ball.
There is some confusion among some golfers to the difference between a TOP and a THIN.
In my understanding, a THIN is when you make contact high on the ball on the upswing.
This makes the ball shoot away about 6 feet high.
A TOP is when you make contact high on the ball on the downswing.
This drives the ball into the ground and it bounces down the fairway.
Moving the ball forward will help the OP hit the ball on the way up, therefor curing the top.

Last edited:

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Because he is hitting down on the ball.
There is some confusion among some golfers to the difference between a TOP and a THIN.
In my understanding, a THIN is when you make contact high on the ball on the upswing.
This makes the ball shoot away about 6 feet high.
A TOP is when you make contact high on the ball on the downswing.
This drives the ball into the ground and it bounces down the fairway.
Moving the ball forward will help the OP hit the ball on the way up, therefor curing the top.

Good explanation. I was going to suggest that maybe he had the ball too far forward and he was virtually missing it on his upswing, but catching enough to hit it downwards at high speed

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't be afraid to stick to your guns about which club you want the lesson to be about. I've had lessons purely about individual clubs on multiple occasions. It's your lesson, you are paying the money. As you say, if the pro won't do this then change your pro.