What's your longest iron?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
When I played regularly, I would use it but it would need a good lie or off a low tee.
The 1-4 irons are hollow and quite wide soled so almost like a crossover copy, except they were made in 1988.
Here's a rubbish pic (better pics could be taken if required)

View attachment 37782

Yes, I know there are 15 clubs but I would occasionally swap the 2 iron for the 18 hybrid cheat stick. ;)

Did I mention I only carry 2 wedges? :whistle:

Think I like the 2-3-4 sector the most - what a bag! What putter is that?

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
6 iron at the moment. I have a 5, but I don’t reliably hit it as cleanly and therefore it doesn’t go any further than my 6 iron. I use a 3, 4, 5 hybrid instead and they all go pretty nicely. If it’s windy I’ll sometimes swap in and take the 5 off the tee for longer par 3s rather than a hybrid, but it doesn’t come out often.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
5 iron, 3 crossover but that doesn’t really count !
If I were to use my Mizuno TP18s I would have the 3 iron in the bag …
Oh and I have an MX200 4 and 5 iron in the garage .. should see how that compares as a 4hybrid replacement (as that is a struggle at the moment)

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just bought a new set of boom baby PXG blingers ?

Went for the gen 3 XP irons in 4/5 and the “4” iron is 19 degrees ?

Two degree’ weaker than the 2 iron I flogged to @bluewolf that he can’t hit for toffee….

?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hit a PP’s hybrid 22 last night on one hole - First time ever used a Hybrid. For those who do hit 7 wood and Hybrid, which do you prefer and why please?
I have two of each. For the longer ones I think woods are easier to launch. But for the shorter ones (my 5 & 6 iron replacements) hybrids are probably a little more accurate. (And obviously easier to get hold of in the first place.) I did replace my 20° hybrid with a seven wood, and I find it easier to hit and get a good yardage out of.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hit a PP’s hybrid 22 last night on one hole - First time ever used a Hybrid. For those who do hit 7 wood and Hybrid, which do you prefer and why please?
I replaced a hydrid, now sold, with a 7 wood about 6-8 weeks ago. I find the 7 wood much easier to hit and I hit the ball far more consistently. Whether it is psychological or design I don't know but it works for me. Even my bad shots are fairly straight, just straight and along the ground :rolleyes:. More often than not though it goes high and goes well. Doing that with my hybrid was far more elusive.

I suspect the question to ask yourself is how clean and good a ball striker you are. If you are a good one then a hybrid will be the one to go for, you can probably control the shape of the shot more. If you need a little extra help then go for the 7 wood. Mine has certainly helped me a lot, it is my go to 2nd club shot at my course.