Fix 5-iron or get a hybrid

albie999

Visit site
Think I already know the answer to this, but thought would ask anyway. I broke my 5 iron last year, and did not get fixed due to being out of the game for 6 months due to injury, but with now getting fit again, and wondering ... should I fix my 5-iron or replace it with a Hybrid. So, the iron is a Ben Ross HTX 5-iron, which comes with a KBS Tour shaft (reg flex). I have been quoted around £40-£50 to get it fixed (new shaft and fitting)

However, and this is where the question comes from ... I notice that in my iron set (Ben Ross HTX), that my 6-iron is already quite close to my 7-iron in terms of distance .. so therefore, my 5 iron again does not have that much added distance.

The main issue here thought is price. Seeing as I can get my 5-iron fixed for around £40 ..... Hybrids seems to be at least £100+ .... which is a big step

I do currently already have a hybrid in the bag, which is a Ping Karsten (labelled as a Hybrid 4)

So .. thoughts, suggestions etc etc etc

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What’s the gap in distance between the 6 iron and 4 hybrid? Because if you don’t think the 5 will fill it then don’t repair it. How confident are you with the 4 hybrid? You’ll get plenty support here for a 5 hybrid and there are plenty on eBay that only cost £40. Both my hybrids cost less than that! Adams are a good brand and if you go a few years back you’ll find plenty options. Be advised there are players hybrids and forgiving ones, so check (here if you like) if the ones you fancy are the right ones for you. Getting the right shaft is more important than anything - what’s in your 4h currently?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dropped the 5 iron out in favour of 29 degree hybrid last year.

The thing I miss is being able to hit shits with good distance that barely get above head height, my six iron is good for these shots but does not have the distance factor.

albie999

Visit site
Am wondering if should treat myself, or be treated for Xmas on a new one, instead of second hand ... Seen some good reviews by the average golfer on the mizuno hi fli hybrids

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just bought a 5H based on discussions on another thread as I feel it'll give me far more consistency and distance than the 5 iron especially in the winter and playing from the rough. I'm keeping the iron as I feel it'll be more potent in the summer conditions and like to have the option. Benross are a brand that goes under the radar a lot so not sure how easy it'll be to find although price wise they do tend to come in cheaper than the main players. I would definitely get the 5 iron fixed.

albie999

Visit site
Soooo many good hybrids around that I can see. Am thinking of calling in to AG over the weekend, and just see what they have, try a few out and see how i hit them. Seems to be varying faces available, in terms of deep, rounded etc .. who knows what will be best

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Soooo many good hybrids around that I can see. Am thinking of calling in to AG over the weekend, and just see what they have, try a few out and see how i hit them. Seems to be varying faces available, in terms of deep, rounded etc .. who knows what will be best
Definitely loads out there. Depending on your budget well worth checking the 2nd hand market for a model from a couple of years ago. I can't wait to take my new 5H out tomorrow and give it a go on the course. Really think it'll give me more options and versatility

albie999

Visit site
Must be hitting the clubs good today (for me). Just done a few hits on the skytrak, to work out numbers .... so does look like need something between the 6 and hybrid

4 Hybrid - 178 Yards
6 Iron - 153 Yards
7 Iron - 147 Yards

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must be hitting the clubs good today (for me). Just done a few hits on the skytrak, to work out numbers .... so does look like need something between the 6 and hybrid

4 Hybrid - 178 Yards
6 Iron - 153 Yards
7 Iron - 147 Yards

Or you could just grip down by about an inch on the 4 hybrid to get less distance.

albie999

Visit site
I am so confused lol .. managed to find a Ping Karsten 5H hybrid on golf bidder for £50 .. so thought, might as well, seeing as it fits in with my 4H of the same make ... anyway, tried it out in the SIM today, and pretty much, it is flying very similar distances to my 4

Soooo confused what to do now ... do I keep it, and learn how it works, or return (within their 7 days policy)

I also tried out a Ping G410 (26 degree) at AG on Monday ... and that thing was just flying (180 yds ish), so no way was that going to be fitting in the 6 to 4H gap, as that is way further than current hybrid ... suppose newer club, newer tech

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It sounds like you have 2 issues.

You dont have the SS to get the most out of the 4 hybrid or the 6 iron which is causing them both to not be optimal.

Personally i would try a 6 hybrid which i imagine will fly somewhere in between your current 6 iron and 4 hybrid.

This wont solve your second issue though which is that your 6 and 7 iron are too close, where you may as well ditch the 6 and just hit the 7 as i bet it is more consistent as well. You could then keep the 5h and your gapping may look like:

7 iron 147
6 h 160
5 h 175 or whatever it was

Obviously i dont know your numbers and youd need to check it out but this would keep you around the 13-15 yard gap between clubs