Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.5%

• Total voters

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One I very much agree with.

There was a discussion last year, not sure if it was here, or on a FB group, that we'd never be going back to paper scorecards, I suggested we very much would as folks were being excluded, and checking paper scorecards is far easier than electronic ones. I'm very glad to see most clubs have indeed reverted.
Ours hasn’t.
One lad was DQ last week for not returning his card but he put it in the box I saw him do it.
He dosnt own a phone and the terminal wasn’t on in the clubhouse.
I thought they could not DQ you for that.
Think each club is just doing what it wants until they are challenged.
I said to him “ ask the sec what rule you were DQ under”
Might be a Comp condition but pretty sure they can’t DQ you for that.

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely every club should still be using a paper scorecard as the prime way as per golf rules and then a combination of PSI or mobile scoring

general play then it’s either the clubs CSV app ( and some want a scorecard ) or just use the EG app and then it’s out of the clubs hands

wjemather

Visit site
Was that only for Covid restrictions that were removed ?‍♂️
The authorities were very clear to point out that "The Rules of Golf have not been modified" for Covid, but merely "clarified" to allow things such as verbal certification - as such, most provisions remain acceptable per the rules if a committee chooses to continue with them.

Also, scorecards may be electronic.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If there is a discrepancy between the score on a signed physical scorecard and that recorded electronically, does the signed physical scorecard take precedence (assuming the score on the signed physical card is the correct score).

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
If there is a discrepancy between the score on a signed physical scorecard and that recorded electronically, does the signed physical scorecard take precedence (assuming the score on the signed physical card is the correct score).
It will depend on your club's Terms of Competition, but would generally expect where both are required for the Scorecard to take precedence

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
It will depend on your club's Terms of Competition, but would generally expect where both are required for the Scorecard to take precedence
We've gone with paper scorecard speaks, if terminal entry is correct but physical card not signed (as an eg) then it's a DQ.

IanMcC

Visit site
Regarding scorecard return, this is what we have on our Charter:

4. Scorecards

(a) All scorecards should be fully completed including competition name, player’s name, Course Handicap and date. The player must ensure that his correct Course Handicap is recorded on his score card before it is returned.

Marker responsibility: After each hole the marker should

-check the gross score with the player and record it on the scorecard.

-On completion of the round he must sign the score card and return it to the player.

-If the player had more than one marker each marker must certify the scores for the holes he marked.

-Group marking of cards is prohibited. Each player must submit a separate scorecard.

Player responsibility: On completion of the round the player should

-check his score for each hole and raise any issues with the Committee.

-ensure that the marker has signed the score card,

-must not change a hole score entered by a marker except with the marker’s agreement or the Committee’s approval,

-sign the score card himself and, promptly return it to the Committee

-must not change the scorecard after he has returned it to the committee

(b) Returning of scorecards: A score card is considered to have been returned to the Committee when it has been posted in the letter

box in the lounge.

(e) All scorecards must be returned, even if NR is recorded. All competition scores should, if possible, be entered electronically, either via HowDidIDo or the PSI in the lounge. For any obvious omissions a player may receive a warning of non-compliance. Subsequent omissions may lead to suspension from competitions for a short period, under a Code of Conduct (Committee Procedure 5H) decision. If the PSI is out of commission, the player should use a post it note to record the reason, and attach it to their returned scorecard.

I know some will pick big holes in it, but basically it is the paper scorecard that counts.

D

Deleted member 1147

I believe we can still use the APP. But mostly it's just a paper card, handed in to the Pro shop, who enter it onto the system for us.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Out of interest today I asked our Golf Manager about what would happen if there was a discrepancy between the scoring on a signed physical scorecard and what the player had entered on the clubs system (IG). He was very clear that in all circumstances the physical card is the 'truth', and that if there is any difference between the card and the system then the card always takes precedence - without any penalty to the player. The use of physical cards was reintroduced to avoid potential issues in respect of the technology.

However, if a player enters an incorrect score on the system it is the players responsibility to spot the mistake - and if the mistake has an impact on the overnight recalculation of his HI then it is the player's responsibility to check any change - especially if he suspects it isn't right - and to ensure that his HI correctly reflects any change as a result of his previous days score as recorded on the physical card. If the player does not, and as a consequence plays off the wrong PH then whatever sanctions and penalties appropriate will be applied.