• App or card as preferred by player

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.5%

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We must submit a scorecard and enter score into system either via IG app (we use IG) or via computer terminal in clubhouse.
And so yesterday after my round I found I was unable to enter my score using the PSI in the clubhouse. The pro shop was shut so I couldn’t seek guidance as to why, so I used the IG app to enter my score.

As I went along entering score for each hole, I seemed to be getting messages by the app telling me internet connection was being lost, then it would be ok, sometimes I was asked to save the score I’d just entered for a hole…sometimes not. Eventually I got my card entered then spotted I’d made a mistake (entered a 4 for one hole when I got a 5, so corrected it). Popped card into comp card box and went home.

When home went online immediately to see how I’d got on, and couldn’t understand why my competition nett was showing one less than it should. I checked my card as I had entered it using the app and spotted my correction hadn’t been saved. I can only assume that was because the internet connection was dropped at the point I made the correction in the clubhouse, but of course I would not know that as my corrected card in the app at the time looked right.

Concerned I called my pro (I am allowed…) and he checked and corrected my score.

Of course overnight my HI has been updated, and if I had not spotted the error last night my new HI would be wrong and if I was to play a match today my shots given/received could have been wrong.

What would have been the outcome if problems with the technology mean an inconsistency between signed physical scorecard and IG system for my medal yesterday and HI and any match played today with wrong PH.

I note that as mentioned the inconsistency that arose for me yesterday was corrected an hour or so after I’d submitted my physical card and score through IG app, but I am unusual in having the access I have to our pro.

I am thinking that my technology glitches experienced are the reason for the physical card being required and that sorts things for the comp, but doesn’t address the potential incorrect HI/PH question.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Voted "Other" as not sure if the top option matches what we do.
Comps you have to register your entry via PSI in the Pro shop - at the same time as you pay your entry fee.. Score entry can be via PSI or app as you choose. But you have to submit a scorecard for checking. I guess that cuts down the amount of data entry required in the office, but it does effectively mean players have to record data twice. (Not that I'm bothered though).

General Play is done via the PSI or the app - no card is required.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm glad that we have to put a card in for GP rounds as well as comps...
As we don't have a full time booking system there would be nothing to stop me going out on my own, falsifying scores, adding Fragger as my marker and putting the score in the system. Nobody would know if we were out there or not as there is no checking in with the shop...as long as I sign in and put the scores in I'm good to go.
At least, with a card, Fragger would have to sign it so there would some confirmation of another player being present...
Seems to me like the powers that didn't really consider the admin side when they said we could put in as many cards as we like....a cheats charter

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
For comps its submit paper card + input via PSI or HDiDo app. We still check signatures etc on paper card - we get regular input errors. Some members still input their stableford points as scores :LOL: Getting better tho.

GP rounds we have gone to all via the My EG app and turned them of via CLUBV1 / HDiDo app - My EG is more 'mature'. Our procedure requires members to book on via BRS as a check that they submit intent before tee off time. With geo tagging etc it might not be perfect but we feel we are doing what we can with the tools we have to manage them.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Are you sure you don't have a committee. As I understand it a handicap committee is mandatory for all clubs operating WHS.
I'm 100% certain we don't have a handicap committee any longer. We have a committee which is made up of the section Captains and Treasurer. We used to have a handicap secretary, but when WHS came in, it was decided that role was redundant, as the adjustments would take care of themselves and annual review is automated also.
I have no idea if that's right or wrong, but that is what happens.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
As we don't have a full time booking system there would be nothing to stop me going out on my own, falsifying scores, adding Fragger as my marker and putting the score in the system. Nobody would know if we were out there or not as there is no checking in with the shop...as long as I sign in and put the scores in I'm good to go.
At least, with a card, Fragger would have to sign it so there would some confirmation of another player being present...
Seems to me like the powers that didn't really consider the admin side when they said we could put in as many cards as we like....a cheats charter

It definitely needs monitoring.

We are look at deleted intents and other reports on WHS - it seems some golfers change their minds...wonder why that might be :unsure:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I thought the main point of the SG (and perhaps the EG) app was so that you could enter a GP score at any time and any venue without burdening your handicap sec with extra work.
Don't think it is in the spirit of the whs for clubs to insist on cards for GP.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I'm 100% certain we don't have a handicap committee any longer. We have a committee which is made up of the section Captains and Treasurer. We used to have a handicap secretary, but when WHS came in, it was decided that role was redundant, as the adjustments would take care of themselves and annual review is automated also.

Holy crap! This stuff still needs monitoring, adjustments are still required and some golfers still seek to work the system. Someone needs to have a word :eek:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Holy crap! This stuff still needs monitoring, adjustments are still required and some golfers still seek to work the system. Someone needs to have a word :eek:
Yeah this is all sorts of wrong Bratty.

There has to be a handicap committee, it needs to be a minimum of three people one of which should be a lady, and absolutely you still do the annual review. Your club sounds shambolic

Bratty

Visit site
Yeah this is all sorts of wrong Bratty.

There has to be a handicap committee, it needs to be a minimum of three people one of which should be a lady, and absolutely you still do the annual review. Your club sounds shambolic
To each their own.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The club's decision rather proves that they do need a handicap committee if they can't even open or read the book.
Rules 1.3(ii) and 7.1 make it clear why and 7.1a(i) makes specific reference to an annual review.

Bratty

Visit site
So having looked at the rules of handicapping, I can confirm that at annual review, the Captains come together and perform the task that is usually associated with a handicap committee, and will have been available throughout the year for people to make comment on handicaps. So we do perform an annual review, but it is mainly just a case of seeing what the computer throws up. I can't remember any major disputes of handicap between members.
As we are a proprietary club, the General Manager and Membership Manager tend to perform a lot of tasks that committees would at a private members club. My understanding is that they are also involved in handicapping.
I also know that there were discussions about all of this when WHS was coming in, and the book was read and this was the decision taken, because I was on the committee at that time.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Everyone should be allowed to play golf in all its forms without having to carry an electronic device. Golf clubs should ensure that this state of affairs remains.

The technology is there for the convenience of those that may choose to use it. It should never become compulsory.

Marking a card and handing it in should always be sufficient. Everything else should remain an optional add-on for convenience.

I have expressed my view.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Everyone should be allowed to play golf in all its forms without having to carry an electronic device. Golf clubs should ensure that this state of affairs remains.

The technology is there for the convenience of those that may choose to use it. It should never become compulsory.

Marking a card and handing it in should always be sufficient. Everything else should remain an optional add-on for convenience.

I have expressed my view.
One I very much agree with.

There was a discussion last year, not sure if it was here, or on a FB group, that we'd never be going back to paper scorecards, I suggested we very much would as folks were being excluded, and checking paper scorecards is far easier than electronic ones. I'm very glad to see most clubs have indeed reverted.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One I very much agree with.

There was a discussion last year, not sure if it was here, or on a FB group, that we'd never be going back to paper scorecards, I suggested we very much would as folks were being excluded, and checking paper scorecards is far easier than electronic ones. I'm very glad to see most clubs have indeed reverted.
I wasn't bothered until yesterday and the technology was flaky for me. But for my confusion yesterday after playing, and desire to 'just check, I could easily have been playing a match or comp today with me declaring the wrong playing handicap.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
If you use the EG app to record GP scores, your marker needs to agree your score on the app. How is this any different to the marker signing a card.

Last edited: