What's your choice of ball and why?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: What's you choice of ball and why?

I'm still jumping between balls at the moment. I do like Pro V1's but the TM Tour Preferred balls are great too and normally a bit cheaper, altho I go Tour Preferred X with the TM.

Need to give the Chromesoft another go as they are cheaper again and in theory should perform better than the other 2 above for my slower swing speed.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Bridgeston e6 or Srixon ad333 are my balls of choice.
I usually buy used (pearl) off eBay.
Premium balls are a waste of money at my level IMO.

This although I tend to stock up on ad333 when they're on offer. I'm not at the level to justify paying 20 or 30 quid for a box of balls. Saying that, I don't lose that many balls these days but I don't see how using a more expensive ball would benefit me.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Normally from April to mid October I play dx3, long off the tee, soft around the greens and nice off the putter.

These year my games been in a dark place and I've played pick up's. Anything from dt solo's, soft feels, you name it.

Two balls have really stood out, the mizuno mp s and ad333 tour.

I've just acquired 30 pearls nxt tours to get me through the next few months.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Through the winter I have used distance balls less spin and tend to hold the greens ok. But over the next month or so will probably change to a ball with a bit more spin

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

Pro v1 for me, I just feel more confident with them, a Bridgestone ball testing session came up with the 330rx so I tried them but went back to the Prov1. Just taken advantage of the 4 for 3 offer as a birthday present so will be good for balls for quite some time. So if anyone finds a Prov1 with happy birthday louise printed on it please return it.

KingKauto

Visit site

I use a taylor made burner, I had a big bag of mixed premium lake balls and they seemed to do the job as opposed to some of the callaway and nike balls. I always use a prov1x in the comps unless I'm not playing well, don't like hitting 5 pound notes into lakes!
Last week I put a sleeve of bridgestone e6 that I won somewhere and they played really well, long and straight but not as stoppy on the green.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com

I have used only even number pro v1x s for about 15 years but have been looking for something to change to, for the last month I have been hitting the 2016 Nike RZN Platinum and really loving them their very long and feel really good off the putter face 👍

phil78

Club Champion
Visit site

Using Z-Stars just now as I managed to pick up a dozen for £18

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

Wilson FG Tour is my main choice. Got them for about £14 a dozen and have around 8 boxes.

Sometimes I'll use Dunlop DP1 (have both original and V3) or Topflight Gamer Tours. Also have choice of Chrome soft or Nike One Tours.

At least that's what I've got as new balls. Pretty much a choice of anything else if I go to my box of found golf balls.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Wilson FG Tour is my main choice. Got them for about £14 a dozen and have around 8 boxes.

Sometimes I'll use Dunlop DP1 (have both original and V3) or Topflight Gamer Tours. Also have choice of Chrome soft or Nike One Tours.

At least that's what I've got as new balls. Pretty much a choice of anything else if I go to my box of found golf balls.

Normally only titleist in the bag , found a Wilson Staff DX2 soft ( I think) very nice , so nice I used up a pro shop voucher & bought 12 for €20 gona try em for a week or 2 n see what happens ..

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site

Callaway super soft lake balls.

I cant tell the difference between these and all the pro v1's I find.

Nice off the tee, love the feel chipping and putting.

78p per ball instead of £4

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site

Normally only titleist in the bag , found a Wilson Staff DX2 soft ( I think) very nice , so nice I used up a pro shop voucher & bought 12 for €20 gona try em for a week or 2 n see what happens ..
I've found a few of these and I think they're quite under rated. Not a bad ball at all.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Anything of AD333 Tour Status or above in serious rounds, at other times just try and get rid of the beat up normal AD333s, Burners or whatever else I have.

Currently I have a dozen B330RX, a dozen Z Stars and 8-10 Wilson FG Tours sat in the closet, just is the case that its quite tough to lose balls at our place so Im never topping up my bag.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site

At the moment im getting on really well with Wilson Staff DX3 Urethane. There perfect for my ability and easy on the pocket. Dabbled with the Callaway Chrome softs as well.. also a good ball. I love ProV's but can't justify the price. Plus they're practically wrecked after 1 round...

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site

Srixon Zstars. By far the best ball on the market, apart from Prov1X. No other balls get played. Yellow Z stars for winter, back to white for summer.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Warbirds, Pinnacles, Burners, or any of the cheap and hard balls.
Have never understood how anyone over single figures plays anything else really. Like me, the 3/4 of golfers who arent, just need the minimum spin to try and keep the ball as straight and as long as possible. And we will probably loose more than the low guys, so the cheaper balls suiting our game is a nice synergy.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
another fan of the Wilson DX2 Soft
Also like the Srixon Soft Feel

At my level, and swing speed these are great balls both in terms of value and performance, Even I can tell the difference between these and a rock like the Srixon Distance.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I have used only even number pro v1x s for about 15 years but have been looking for something to change to, for the last month I have been hitting the 2016 Nike RZN Platinum and really loving them their very long and feel really good off the putter face 👍

I'm normally prov1x but bought a sleeve of the new Nike rzn black and platinum to try. The black was ok but I love the platinum, and after a full round it looks like a proV that's been used for 3 holes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Tend to use a slightly firmer ball NXT Tour s or AD333 Tour in the wet and colder conditions but once it firms up I prefer the feel of a premium ball usually a Z star or Bridgestone B330 RXS