What's the deal with castle tees

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
castle tees are a marmite item much the same as ball retrievers and chippers you either love or hate.
What's wrong with ball retrievers? Mine has paid for itself many times over, retrieving balls out of water hazards and gorse bushes. :mmm:

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
What's wrong with ball retrievers? Mine has played for itself many times over retrieving balls out of water hazards and gorse bushes.

Balls in these places are sacrifices, made to the gods, and are not for removal.

Would you take candles from a church?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
And to answer Murph. Yes, wooden tees are environmentally sound. Wood is one of the most sustainable materials available. Provided the source is properly managed of course - but that is a different and long argument)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
People can use what thwy want for me.

Personally speaking, I have never found a Castle Tee that gives me the right height for any club.

The're all, broardly speaking, too high for how I prefer the ball tee'd.

As for consistent tee height. With an iron I push a wooden tee into the tury until it sits just proud.

Fairwar woods a fraction higher, generally I'll push the tee into the turf leaving a fingers depth gap between the tee head and floor.

Driver, it's become a habit of how far I plug it into the turf. I seem to 'know' that's the right height. Quick check with the driver face and it's ready to fly.

Consistent tee height is over rated :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i sometimes use a pink castle in winter as they are easier to get in the frozen ground than a wooden. In summer though, wooded ones. I usually get a few free games at Castle Stuart so always take a handfull and they last the season.

I prefer a wooden as you can alter the teeing height, a castle can only really do one height, a 2 inch wooden, high or low depending on conditions. Also the broken bits do for when you have to hit an iron, hybrid or 3 wood off the tee.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to use castle tees on frozen ground as they are simply easier to get in without the risk of it snapping byt 95% of the time I'm happy to use a wooden one. More environmentally friendly, including mowers, and are they really going to bankrupt you if you break a few. I got a box of 1000 for next to nothing on Amazon and doubt I'll ever get through them all

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry just has to be white wooden. Put half a dozen new in my pocket at start of round along with a selection of broken ones that I use for iron/wood/hybrids off of teeing area.

Scotsman in me also has me harvesting any broken white ones I chance upon.... and it has worked well for nearly 35 years....

Tees are not exactly the most obvious playing expense....

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What's wrong with ball retrievers? Mine has paid for itself many times over, retrieving balls out of water hazards and gorse bushes. :mmm:

And holding up play as you fish ball after ball out of the lake, none of which are yours, all taking up the time that you should be using to play your shot.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm having a guess at the fact that one of the most popular is pink ;)
I once saw a bag of castle tees that were gold in colour and exactly the same height as pink. Presumably for butch men who wouldn't be seen dead using anything pink. (I use pink castle tees, BTW)

Did you know that pink was first widely used during the Victorian era and was originally intended to be a colour for boys?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Actually they are the only plastic tee i don't use. I have tried the funny 3 prong ones, because I found one and what ever gets stuck on the front of mags. I am still working my way through my big bag of wooden tees I bought 5 yrs ago, ( I do tape them up and only take 3 out in my pocket for a round) . I like using broken tees for irons/ fairways and hybrids.. I don't understand this stuff about exact tee height, I just put the ball at a height that is suitable for each club, there is no mystery or magic ...

D

Deleted member 15344

Is this really about tees ?

Why would someone hate a castle tee ?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
And holding up play as you fish ball after ball out of the lake, none of which are yours, all taking up the time that you should be using to play your shot.
But if you go into the middle of a gorse bush, you have to retrieve and identify your ball for a penalty drop. Otherwise you have to go back to where you last played from, which is a stroke and distance penalty!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Hmm, is one more environmental friendly than the other?

I'm currently Pink Castle and Proud (PCP), although only since Christmas, but, I may be swayed to wooden tree's as long as they are only made from sustainable sources :smirk: