What's the deal with castle tees

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
Alright so I've been using castle tees for many years now and recently I have heard of a few people giving people stick if they use castle tees.

For me, especially on my driving, they get the ball in the same position every time I hit a drive so that eliminates any possible problems there.

I don't see the point in using wooden tees, inconsistent teeing height and break on most drives = more expensive in the long run.

Views?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will ALWAYS use a red wooden tee. It started a few years ago when I had one of my best ever rounds and realised when I finished that I had only had these in my pocket. I am now so OCD about it that if I have to tee it up on another coloured tee it plays on my mind while I'm hitting my drive. In my more rational moments I know it's complete nonsense but I still do it. Having said that I will also only have the TV at home or the radio in the car on an even number for the volume because it's unlucky to have it on an odd number. There is a chance that I might need professional help.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Learn how to tee it up the correct height with a wooden tee. It is a skill, and with a little practice you can learn how to do it. I have noticed a lot of people that use castle tees also use iron head covers. Some golfers have absolutely no self respect.

:whistle:

super hans

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm having a guess at the fact that one of the most popular is pink ;)

As accurate and homophobic as that appears, I don't think the majority of golfers are in a position to comment when it comes to colours on the course. Golf is not called "The sport that style forgot" without reason.......

At the end of the day its a tee...

I think if you are someone who actually cares about what tee's other people use then you really need to revaluate your life...

spot on.......are you REALLY concentrating on your own game if you're interested in the style/colour of someone elses tee (or sexual orientation)

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
If every tee was as flat and level as a billiard table, I would see the point of castle tees, but as they aren't, I use wooden tees.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use wooden tees, I don't like the castle ones personally but that's just me.

To address the two points you make about castle tees however...

Consistent Tee Height: If he ground was perfectly flat, you have a point, but it isnt. Also, many wooden tees have marks on them for various heights.

Cost: A wooden tee costs about 1p and they don't snap all that often, the long term cost of them really isn't or shouldn't be a concern

G

guest100718

100 white wooden tees on ebay for 1.98 is hardly going to break the bank

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I will ALWAYS use a red wooden tee. It started a few years ago when I had one of my best ever rounds and realised when I finished that I had only had these in my pocket. I am now so OCD about it that if I have to tee it up on another coloured tee it plays on my mind while I'm hitting my drive. In my more rational moments I know it's complete nonsense but I still do it. Having said that I will also only have the TV at home or the radio in the car on an even number for the volume because it's unlucky to have it on an odd number. There is a chance that I might need professional help.

Yellow for me.... use the wooden Pride pro tees for my driver, no concerns about finding the correct height as it has a line on it at exactly the right height (4cm - same as the pink plastic ones), but has the added flexibilty of being able to add or reduce the height if wind or trees require it. Use plain yellow wooden tees for any other club. They do break occasionally, some rounds more than others, but have also been known to play the same couple of tees for multiple rounds.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
No problem with them in my book. I recently switched from wooden to castle tees. I see them as the GI irons of teeing. I no longer had the time to practise my teeing so why not use something a bit more forgiving. I realise now that wooden tees were a bit of a vanity thing and I do smile when I see higher handicappers struggling with wooden tees when they really don't have the abilty to use them. Yes the ball feels sweet and sounds great when you middle one off a wooden tee but how often does that happen for most club golfers?

Of course I do benefit from having had mine custom fitted but that's a whole other thread. ;)

:D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I always used to use white wooden tees. Now I use pink castles, although I do wish they were a different colour, as I can't see them at all.

The reason being, I used to tee the ball very high, but my coach wants me to tee it lower. The pink ones are the right height for me. If I use a wooden tee, during the round, my teeing height creeps up, until it is back where I have had it for 20 odd years, and looks right to my eye. Castles stop this.

Are wooden tees environmentally sound? Is chopping up thousands of trees to make a tee, which may only last one shot a green idea?

Castle tees are plastic, and pretty much last forever (unless your pro spends his spare time notching them with a hacksaw before sale, I'm sure ours does). However, they don't degrade when lost, but then someone else normally finds them, and they get recycled. Much like golf balls, which don't degrade either, and no one is suggesting we use wooden balls?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Consistent teeing height!!??? What a load of tosh!!!

What's the point in that when we are not hitting the sweet spot all the time? A mm here or there will make zero difference.

If consistent tee height was so important, the pros would all be using them......unless they have a teeing coach!!?? ;)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not the "custom fitted tees" thread again please.. In the end, you're still only using mass produced items. If you're really serious, made-to-measure, and hand made is the only way to go.