What yardage am I losing with 13 degree driver?

janmolby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a 13 degree Callaway X460 driver which I have recently started to hit pretty well but I was wondering what yardage I could be losing because it's 13 degrees rather than say 10.5 degrees? I have no idea how long I actually hit it but if I hit it say 200 yeards, how much further would I expect the ball to go if I used the same club but with 10.5 degrees & hit it exactly the same?

I have no intention of changing, just wondering.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its about spin rate and trajectory, you might lose quite a bit of distance if you hit a 10.5 degree driver 5 feet off the ground and it hurtles into the fairway 100 yards away :)

Next time you're out with your mates/on the range as to use one and see if it's any better. Remember too that the less loft on the face, the easier it is to slice it into the car park.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are in Letterkenny if I remember Emmet, go along to either Francie or to city of Derry and get a go on a launch monitor and see what's what. Was talking to Seamus Clinton and I think he is getting an indoor set up as well. But you could also ask the question how much are you gaining using a 13 degree driver ;)

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi was using a standard R9 with 10.5 degree loft and averaging around 250 yds.

I now use a R9 Superdeep TP 9.5. A bit more difficult to hit but am constantly around 280-300. Funny enough, I was slicing the 10.5 much more than the superdeep. The superdeep has only two possibilities for me: perfectly straight and far or monstruos top spin and 150 yds max. Never slices never hooks.

However, my learning curve is still going up so for sure I also got better in the past few months.

janmolby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You are in Letterkenny if I remember Emmet, go along to either Francie or to city of Derry and get a go on a launch monitor and see what's what. Was talking to Seamus Clinton and I think he is getting an indoor set up as well. But you could also ask the question how much are you gaining using a 13 degree driver ;)

Yes I'm in Letterkenny alright but not looking to change driver, was just wondering would it be 10, 20, 30 yards...

But I get what you mean about gaining using a 13 degree driver, being slightly shorter off the tee but on the fairway is better than being 10 yards closer to the hole but in the rough.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The 13 might be longer. It depends on your swing. You might actually lose distance going to lower loft. On the other hand you might gain. Impossible to put a number on it without a launch monitor.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I'm in Letterkenny alright but not looking to change driver, was just wondering would it be 10, 20, 30 yards...

But I get what you mean about gaining using a 13 degree driver, being slightly shorter off the tee but on the fairway is better than being 10 yards closer to the hole but in the rough.

Go and ask Francie if he is not busy he might give you a go with a couple of drivers anyway. With your swing a 13 degree driver might be the best option anyway but until you get a go on a launch monitor you will never know for sure

janmolby

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Go and ask Francie if he is not busy he might give you a go with a couple of drivers anyway. With your swing a 13 degree driver might be the best option anyway but until you get a go on a launch monitor you will never know for sure

I don't think that's a good idea as you know what will happen, I'll go there just to see what he says then end up buying a new driver that I can't afford :eek:

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I use a 13 degree driver too. I look at it like this..... the difference between a 13 and say a 9 is the same as the difference between a 7 and 6 iron so you'd expect a 10 to 12 yard difference in carry. However, the 13 degree still has the same length of shaft as the 9 so this difference is much less as the clubhead speed is the same and as above the launch angle may mean it actually goes the same or further. So don't worry about it if you are hitting it well.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no idea how long I actually hit it but if I hit it say 200 yeards, how much further would I expect the ball to go if I used the same club but with 10.5 degrees & hit it exactly the same?

It would go shorter. I'm 100% convinced. Not every ball, because you'll get lots of roll with a 10 degree driver, but the carry will be way down for your needs.

If you hit it say 240, then we'd have a competition.

If you hit it 275+, then we could be into serious distance loss territory.

Nobody believes me, but I don't care. :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have no idea how long I actually hit it but if I hit it say 200 yeards, how much further would I expect the ball to go if I used the same club but with 10.5 degrees & hit it exactly the same?

It would go shorter. I'm 100% convinced. Not every ball, because you'll get lots of roll with a 10 degree driver, but the carry will be way down for your needs.

If you hit it say 240, then we'd have a competition.

If you hit it 275+, then we could be into serious distance loss territory.

Nobody believes me, but I don't care. :)

I believe you RG.

It's all about finding the right face angle to make your swing launch the ball at the best angle and spin rate to maximise distance. That might be 8° or it might be 13°

My swing happens to hit a 12° driver furthest for whatever reason, but my mate hits my driver and it goes miles in the air.
Horses for courses.

At the sort of speed required to carry 200, I'd be willing to bet less loft will cost you distance, unless you hit the ball very high.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
launch angle is key (well one of them) - 16 deg I think.

If, like me, you could get a 9.5 degree launch with an 11.5 degree driver then things can only get better.

janmolby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The more I think about it the more convinced I am that staying with the 13 degree driver, at least for now, is the right way to go. I suppose by this time next year I can see how things are going and look at testing a few other drivers to see how they behave

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use a 12 degree cobra, ok I still hit a fade but I can control that a tad

take my 10.5 out and no chance, total nightmare

until you hit straight and half decent length the try a lower loft, just because others use 8.5, 9.5 etc doesnt mean they are the new John Daly

its not about how but... (fanfare) How many :)