What would you score at Royal St George's?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Well any handicap golfer really but anyone who can manage the carry that some of the holes require.

To answer the question, the way I'm playing at the moment, I think I'd shoot somewhere around 120, 110 on a "good" day. If playing my absolute best, I don't know, 90?

I've managed the carry there ok - but haven't always found my ball ??

TogoPresley

Visit site
The distance\carry is not the biggest challenge IMHO. It is the precision you require to keep it on the fairway and greens.
Even with spotters to locate your ball, you would be bouncing off fairways into the longer cut\rough and then your approaches would be coming into greens hot and not sticking around.
The greens were not electric speed but getting on there and staying there is a challenge.

123*

Hacker
Visit site

Single figure handicapper plays it from one tee up from the pros. Says he is playing it from the tips today, with the pins in Sunday’s positions. Be interesting to see how he gets on!

sunshine

Visit site
I read it perfecty well and still chuckle over 6 handicappers who think they can shoot the same as Mickleson in a Major.

And you're a knob if you think otherwise.

Don't know why you find his comments so unrealistic. I guess you've never played a Championship links venue.

You're just being obtuse referencing Mickelson's 80. When I played Birkdale I managed 3 birdies, Mickelson probably didn't birdie those 3 holes when the Open was last there. Does that mean I think I'm better than him?

And to answer the OP: if my driver was functioning fully then I think I could shoot bogey golf. A few double bogeys but then a few pars as well. It would be terrifying off the tee and the ball spotters would be my saviour, but the greens aren't scary (this isn't Augusta) and the pin positions were reasonable on the first 2 days.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great post online on the lines of 'every major should have a regular golfer in the field as a reference point for everyone watching'.

They could be a scratch golfer, no better, and it could not be a golfer from the home club. They would go out in the last group each day so that they don't slow down the field. (I've thrown these things in).

This would answer the question each tournament ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Great post online on the lines of 'every major should have a regular golfer in the field as a reference point for everyone watching'.

They could be a scratch golfer, no better, and it could not be a golfer from the home club. They would go out in the last group each day so that they don't slow down the field. (I've thrown these things in).

I'd love to see this to be fair, even it it was just a round played in the practice week but still woth the course obviously set up for the pros. Not sure id want them chucked in the last group of the day with the potential winner. Would ruin that walk up the 18th having some middle aged bloke duffing a shot 40 yards short of the green in the background!

D

Deleted member 15344

They can attempt to qualify if they wish but the majors are also competitions for people to help earn a living.

Sorry but it’s a ridiculous suggestion - just go and the course for a reference

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Think of the pressure the poor sod would be under.
Last group on your home course would be bad enough with two of the best in the world.

sunshine

Visit site

Ironically the LET did this just last week at Centurion. Every fourball consisted of 3 pros and an amateur invited guest. Don't know how they selected the amateurs, I'm guessing a mix of sponsors, rich people, and some members. The male amateurs played off the same tees as the pros. The female amateurs played off forward tees.

There was one guy off 2 who seemed to be enjoying it, and was up there with the pros, but generally the amateurs just got in the way and skulked around trying not to embarrass themselves. The spectators had zero interest in them.

Felt a bit sorry for the lad in the Georgia Hall group. On one hole he sliced his tee shot into the rough, the women just walked on to their balls and carried on playing the hole. When he found his ball he couldn't play because the players and spectators had all moved up the fairway and were in his way. He had to pick up and do the walk of shame up the hole by himself.

For balance, I also watched a lady shank her ball into the trees, hack it out, duff her pitch, then three putt. And then I discovered that she was actually one of the pros!

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Should do that for every event in the Olympics too.

D

Deleted member 15344

There shouldn’t be pros at any sport in the Olympics.
Why not ?‍♂️

How can Amatuers compete in the Olympics when most of them have jobs to ensure they can eat - the Olympics became professions decades ago now and it’s about highlighting the very best in all the sports that they compete in - it should also be the very pinnacle of their sports ( hence why imo golf and football shouldn’t be there )

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why not ?‍♂️

How can Amatuers compete in the Olympics when most of them have jobs to ensure they can eat - the Olympics became professions decades ago now and it’s about highlighting the very best in all the sports that they compete in - it should also be the very pinnacle of their sports ( hence why imo golf and football shouldn’t be there )
Just my opinion.
It should be the top ams that’s it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There shouldn’t be pros at any sport in the Olympics.
They are pretty much all pro's at the Olympics now. Even the most obscure competitor from GB will get lottery money and be full time. The days of the amateur are long gone. It certainly removes some of the romance for me but you can't turn back the clock.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They are pretty much all pro's at the Olympics now. Even the most obscure competitor from GB will get lottery money and be full time. The days of the amateur are long gone. It certainly removes some of the romance for me but you can't turn back the clock.
Yes I do realise that and imo it has ruined the Olympics.
It’s who can afford the best / undetectable drugs now because the stakes are so high.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just my opinion.
It should be the top ams that’s it.

Who are the top ams in all those sports in the Olympics ? There isn’t any for most because they become sponsered or into financially backed schemes like lottery funds etc there is no such thing as Top Ams unless it’s golf

The world of the Olympics changed a long time ago