What would you score at Royal St George's?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Exactly. And it is true for many of the courses that they play. If there were no spotters and no spectators,( like we play). I reckon you could add near 8 strokes?
Me my mates had a discussion re this after we'd played Monte Rei. There they've made all rough a red staked hazard meaning only a one shot penalty removing stroke and distance.

Even there we noticed a couple of guys would be ambitious with *** choice because the penalty wasn't so severe.

Re the pros. We thought it would make the comps boring as hell. There were 8 of us and there were still two of us that hit fairways and won comfortably. The same would happen on tour. A few would have a good 4 days and most likely still finish at 20 under. Then the rest would just be miles behind.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For the golfing elite, it is, relatively speaking, a piece of cake, the easiest Open course in history. I am off 13.7 index and don't carry my drives 130 yards. Off the Championship tees, I wouldn't even start. Off the appropriate tees, I'd hope to break 100.

D

Deleted member 15344

Across the fence even!

My first links experience - and I was totally hooked! The variety that 3 nines provides would help too.

I would try again - you appear to have the wrong course

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Royal St Georges. EG tell me I'm getting 12 shots. My biggest challenge would be losing balls in the rough. At Silloth it was either on the fairway or lost, here I have spotters, so that isn't a problem.

If I only hit half the fairways off the tee I'm hacking out 7 times, so that them gone.

I reckon that there are 9 holes that I can comfortably reach in regulation and 9 where I'll need to hit my very best to get on, so I reckon that I'll be chipping at least 9 times. The greens look to be quite subtle and probably difficult to read (my Achilles heel), so there are going to be a good few 3 putts and a few 2 putts following chips. I'm thinking another 9 shots gone here.

Assuming 2 or 3 duffs adding to my woes, then I'm looking at 19 0ver par 89. I'd take that all day long.

TogoPresley

Visit site

I reckon that there are 9 holes that I can comfortably reach in regulation and 9 where I'll need to hit my very best to get on, so I reckon that I'll be chipping at least 9 times. The greens look to be quite subtle and probably difficult to read (my Achilles heel), so there are going to be a good few 3 putts and a few 2 putts following chips. I'm thinking another 9 shots gone here.

Assuming 2 or 3 duffs adding to my woes, then I'm looking at 19 0ver par 89. I'd take that all day long.

Distance wise those 9 holes may be doable, but in reality - keeping the ball on the right side of the fairway or the fairway at all is the challenge for the next shot - same with the greens, with competition green conditions you have to hit certain spots for pins to keep the ball on the planet. I think it would be much harder than comparable distance course or benign conditions that the mere mortals play it in as some comparisons have made. I might need a second caddie to carry all the balls.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To put some perspective on this we are talking the back tees. The 4th off the tee those have been lucky enough to play the course will have used is 190 carry to the fairway and 220 to carry the Himalaya bunker. This week it is 230 to the fairway and 260 carry to clear the bunker. The rough when most of us have played it is down, at the moment it is up! I was there this afternoon,.it was in my head a 4 Club wind by the time Rory was finishing.

Most of us would rack up a big.big score trust me playing the course in the condition and length these guys are facing.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've played there when the rough was up. You really don't realise on the telly how thick the bloody stuff is. If you knocked 10 balls into it, without ball spotters you'd be lucky to find 8 of them it's that bad.
It really is soul destroying. Not to mention what it does to your card.
Take the spotters away and I reckon half of the field would be shooting in the 90's

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
To put some perspective on this we are talking the back tees. The 4th off the tee those have been lucky enough to play the course will have used is 190 carry to the fairway and 220 to carry the Himalaya bunker. This week it is 230 to the fairway and 260 carry to clear the bunker. The rough when most of us have played it is down, at the moment it is up! I was there this afternoon,.it was in my head a 4 Club wind by the time Rory was finishing.

Most of us would rack up a big.big score trust me playing the course in the condition and length these guys are facing.

You're absolutely right, I dont think I, or most posting, took into account the additional clubbing needed for the wind. The times I've played it has mostly been pretty benign with less rough than now. I'd probably run out of balls rather than have too many shots!

Anyway I'll reserve judgement until I see for myself on Saturday then I'll hanker for another Kent Links meet no doubt!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Fun question in a nonsensical kind of way, well into three figures for most of us. The actual number is fairly meaningless
But its about as comparable a scenario as asking how many penalties 5 forumers would score in a European championship final… shooting from the halfway line… with a 4 man wall :sneaky:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
You're absolutely right, I dont think I, or most posting, took into account the additional clubbing needed for the wind. The times I've played it has mostly been pretty benign with less rough than now. I'd probably run out of balls rather than have too many shots!

Anyway I'll reserve judgement until I see for myself on Saturday then I'll hanker for another Kent Links meet no doubt!
The OP did specify spotters and a 10mph wind, that is worth a ton of shots over the alternative.