What would you score at Royal St George's?

D

Deleted member 21258

RSG off the yellows, was very playable. Think I scored 34 points at the forum meet and about handicap(9) when I played there with son in summer.

How playable it is off the back tees, will depend on how long are carries over the thick rough(so may become unplayable for someone who hits 220 though the air).

I'll plumb for 98 on a good day:LOL:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My game would depend on my woods. If they were working I'd like to think I could go round in less than 100. If not 120 with bal spotters, no spotters and I'd probably run out of balls before the end!

evemccc

Visit site
We have done the Kent Links forum meet a few times and personally I find Royal Cinque Ports harder than St George's but I'd certainly need at least 100 shots off the normal tees, goodness knows from the Open tees
Royal Cinque Ports beat me up

But it’s the loss of balls from goodish shots that trickle into the rough that did for me mostly. Hit a ball a long way up the fairway / or just off fairway and without spotters it’s a nightmare
With spotters I would love to give it another crack ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
HI of 14.7

On current form it could be anything between 85 and 120.

I'd like to think if I put the woods away and just went 2 iron I could plot my way around fairly respectably. But my worry is I'd need a driver to reach the fairways and then it becomes a lottery! All very well and good having spotters but I'm hitting the ball to places they won't have conceived possible!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It's only 400yds longer than my track off the whites. And the rough is nearly as thick.

I'd like to think I could keep it around 90 playing well with good course management.

D

Deleted member 15344

My best there is 35 points of 5 playing from the yellows

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I, genuinely, have no idea.
My only experience of Links is a couple of rounds at Hayling and they didn't have, from what I remember, the deep rough they have at RSG.
As long as I break 100 I'll be happy.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Finger in the air time what would you go round Sandwich in relatively calm conditions?
I've played it a few times (staying in the Dormy House and wearing long socks - which are probably in a drawer somewhere - once), though not off 7200yds!
Scored close to handicap (once under) all but when a 'gale' was blowing.
Actually a simple enough course to play if, as I generally do, you hit it straight. The 'random' bounces can certainly make it 'interesting' though - and, for me, was/is an essential part of the experience!
Off the length you specify, mid 80s to low 90s would have been an 'acceptable' score back then. I'm a crippled hacker these days (20-25 years later), so would probably lose my way and die in the long grass - especially if starting from the 10th!

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Time of year is crucial. I've been siting here telling myself that I could do alright in October/November when the rough's down. My wrist would give out by the 3rd and I'd be helicoptered off to some local Kent A&E.

Have never played Sandwich, only one of the Open courses that I haven't, but I do love Deal down the road. Amazing place to play golf

D

Deleted member 3432

Has it been wet down south or have they gone crazy with the fairway watering?

Different colour links to what we are playing up here.

D

Deleted member 15344

Time of year is crucial. I've been siting here telling myself that I could do alright in October/November when the rough's down. My wrist would give out by the 3rd and I'd be helicoptered off to some local Kent A&E.

Have never played Sandwich, only one of the Open courses that I haven't, but I do love Deal down the road. Amazing place to play golf

Love Deal - great course , far better welcome from the club pro shop than what you get at RSG , I would prefer to be a member of Deal