What would you score at Royal St George's?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Finger in the air time what would you go round Sandwich in relatively calm conditions?

Course is around 7200 yards, you've got spotters and there's around a 10mph wind

Your score, handicap and your workings out would be lovely

I'll kick us off with 91, off 6.

Reasons - hopefully steady away off the tee followed by putting around a lot of bunkers and probably getting stuck in a few of them

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Around 120 with a course handicap of 25.

My driving recently has been quite good, a steady fade, but I'm quite a short hitter. My putting and bunker play is awful so I'll be stuck in a few of those bunkers.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I can honestly say around 120. No way I keep it straight enough over 18 holes to not lose some balls etc!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea to be honest. Conservative estimate would 30 over if I played reasonably well. Plenty of the par 4s are too long for me to reach in two, two of the par 3s I'd be struggling to reach in one, plus there's a fair few holes where I'd be three-putting or not getting up and down from off the green, so not much chance of me breaking 100 I shouldn't think. But I've never played any courses even remotely like this so I have nothing to go on at all.

Just looked it up on MyEG app, and off the Championship tees it says my course handicap is 19, which doesn't feel like enough shots to me. Haha. By that estimate I should be shooting 89. :oops: And the rest...

Boomy

Visit site
Hmmmmmm I would guesstimate around 92 playing off 12 :cool:

Reasons: I play links golf on my home course, should be ok off the tee, love tight fairways for irons and wedges.. but putting could let me down.

Any chance of a 4 ball courtesy of Golf Monthly to test out my estimate please Mark :LOL:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We have done the Kent Links forum meet a few times and personally I find Royal Cinque Ports harder than St George's but I'd certainly need at least 100 shots off the normal tees, goodness knows from the Open tees

D

Deleted member 3432

No idea to be honest. Conservative estimate would 30 over if I played reasonably well. Plenty of the par 4s are too long for me to reach in two, two of the par 3s I'd be struggling to reach in one, plus there's a fair few holes where I'd be three-putting or not getting up and down from off the green, so not much chance of me breaking 100 I shouldn't think. But I've never played any courses even remotely like this so I have nothing to go on at all.

Just looked it up on MyEG app, and off the Championship tees it says my course handicap is 19, which doesn't feel like enough shots to me. Haha. By that estimate I should be shooting 89. :oops: And the rest...

Course rating is 75.2 so you have a few more than 89 to play with....

D

Deleted member 3432

Is MyEG wrong then? It says course rating 75.2, slope 138, course handicap for me 19.0. (Index 15.6) ??‍♂️[/QUOT

You can play it as a par 70 if you want but I'm aiming to beat 75.2 and hoping pcc goes up ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can play it as a par 70 if you want but I'm aiming to beat 75.2 and hoping pcc goes up ;)
Ok, I don't really understand what you mean. If you get 19 shots that's 19 shots on the par isn't it, not the course rating. To get 36 points I'd have to shoot 89.

D

Deleted member 3432

Hmmmmmm I would guesstimate around 92 playing off 12 :cool:

Reasons: I play links golf on my home course, should be ok off the tee, love tight fairways for irons and wedges.. but putting could let me down.

Any chance of a 4 ball courtesy of Golf Monthly to test out my estimate please Mark :LOL:

Looks a bit green and soft to me...;)

D

Deleted member 3432

I'm going for 82 off 3.

Would need a few rounds to work out how to play the course.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think I could break 80 of 8. Did it around Saunton East, if there are ball spotters then that would save me I think

BobbyP

Visit site
The length would do for me as I tend to play "safely" around most courses. I'd have a choice of hitting 5i off the tees to stay on the fairway, or taking the driver and ending up in the rough on 80% of the holes.

I play off 26 but I'd add a shot a hole to that, easy. So 114 would be my target. Throw in a couple of lost balls / 3 off the tee / out of bounds then more likely 120.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Could easily see me shooting 120. It would depend to a fair degree on how well the driver was working on the day