what would you remake?

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
going by the response from the Dads Army thread ,it seems a popular assumption that it wont be a patch on the original and should have been left well alone .
so what would you like to be remade or not . and what has already been done that you approve of or thought that it should have been left to memory.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ant and Dec tried to do the Likely Lads (and failed). Personally I can't see how some of the classics like this, Fawlty Towers, Reggie Perrin etc can be improved. Leave them and try coming up with something new and do it well so it too stands the test of time. Blackadder perhaps the last series to do this?

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Prisoner would be interesting to remake,don't know if it would be better than the original but it was very good of its time.

D

Deleted member 15344

The Longest Day

Dambusters

Where Eagles Dare

Plenty of old war films that could be enhanced with impressive cgi

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
On the Buses, the original was utter tripe so the remake would be brilliant.

Good in it's day (15m+ viewers) but it wouldn't be allowed to be anywhere near the original so will never get made. To be fair though it did perhaps struggle in the last couple of series (not the only one you can attach that to mind) and the films watered it down for a wider audience and did the programme no favours with flimsy writing

D

Deleted member 15344

Must have passed me by that one,I thought the original was very good, very few remakes are better than originals.

It was late 00's had Ian McKellan in it - mini series , thought it was quite good

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my favourite all time comedy shows was Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads, which itself was a follow on from The Likely Lads, and was generally thought of has having eclipsed the original.

A hope I have always had is that as the cast and and writers are still alive and kicking, then Bob & Terry could be given one last run out. They'd now be in their grumpy old gitdom but it could be a hoot.

Sadly don't think it will happen as Rodney Bewes and James Bolam aren't on the best of terms, having had a bit of a falling out quite some time ago.

But, eee pet, it could be reet champyin if it wor handled properlee man.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
to be fair it couldnt be much worse .
do you think we could get away with
"love thy neighbour"

I think it would be a non-starter, can't see how they could write anything near a comparison that would be accepted or funny, although The Khans has a go at it in a reverse aspect of a similar theme.

I loved it 😉

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
One of my favourite all time comedy shows was Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads, which itself was a follow on from The Likely Lads, and was generally thought of has having eclipsed the original.

A hope I have always had is that as the cast and and writers are still alive and kicking, then Bob & Terry could be given one last run out. They'd now be in their grumpy old gitdom but it could be a hoot.

Sadly don't think it will happen as Rodney Bewes and James Bolam aren't on the best of terms, having had a bit of a falling out quite some time ago.

But, eee pet, it could be reet champyin if it wor handled properlee man.

I use to know James Bolam quite well as he was a member of my old club. He and Bewes hated each other even while they filmed the programme. Pretty sure they haven't spoken in years. It's a shame as a grumpy old man version could have some mileage but if they re-cast or only had one or the other, it wouldn't be the same and wouldn't work

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use to know James Bolam quite well as he was a member of my old club. He and Bewes hated each other even while they filmed the programme. Pretty sure they haven't spoken in years. It's a shame as a grumpy old man version could have some mileage but if they re-cast or only had one or the other, it wouldn't be the same and wouldn't work

Just Googled it after posting and it's now 40 years since they've spoken. According to the article they were great mates back then, but after Bewes said something (pretty innocuous by all accounts) in a press interview about Bolam's private life, Bolam copped the right hump. And despite Bewes calling him to apologise, Bolam put the phone down and hasn't spoken to him since.

Even to this day Bewes is still desperate to make up but Bolam remains unmoved.

Very sad as they are now aged - Bewes 77 and Bolam 80. :(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just Googled it after posting and it's now 40 years since they've spoken. According to the article they were great mates back then, but after Bewes said something (pretty innocuous by all accounts) in a press interview about Bolam's private life, Bolam copped the right hump. And despite Bewes calling him to apologise, Bolam put the phone down and hasn't spoken to him since.

Even to this day Bewes is still desperate to make up but Bolam remains unmoved.

Very sad as they are now aged - Bewes 77 and Bolam 80. :(

I heard it also originates from Bewes being RADA trained and disliking the fact that Bolam wasn't and that from time to time wasn't always word perfect. He mentioned it in several interviews at the time and Bolam copped the hump. He was very scathing of Bewes, very bitter despite being in When the Boat Comes In at the time and getting rave reviews.