What would you do?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At the start of the year I was struggling a lot with hitting snap hooks with the driver and over turning basically all my irons.

Had a few lessons and practiced and during the year and managed to start fading all my clubs. About a month later that fade with the driver turned into a slice and I just couldn't control it.

I had a lesson last week and I can now control the fade a bit better (obviously some still get away from me) but on track man it is spinning high and getting a carry of about 230. AoA was downwards by about 1-2 degrees causing the high spin and high ball flight meaning in any wind I am basically doomed.

I decided I would then try and play the draw, which I used to be able to play very easily and no matter how much I tried to draw the ball it came out dead straight with an average of 247 carry and AoA was about 1 up. It did feel like it was un natural though to try this.

At this stage I was thinking happy days, just try and do that on Saturday and all will be good. But on the course it was completely different and couldn't hit the driver at all.

Bit of a long winded post but would you settle for the 230 carry but can control it or work hard to try and get the 247 carry with lower spin and better ball flight?

I am worried that because it felt so un natural I may never get it and will always feel like I am fighting the swing. I am also vary of going back to pulling my irons every shot

Interestingly on Saturday I had 11 points on the front 9 trying to draw the ball and 18 on the back 9 while playing my natural shot shape. Though it was 20+ mph winds and most of the front 9 was into the breeze and most of the back 9 was downwind

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Take the 230 up the middle and walk away. Here speaks someone who hits it 200 and would love your problem :LOL:.

If the difference was 230 and 260-270 then I would say work at it but the difference is not big enough imo.

Thinking about it. Would those 17yds make a difference on your course? If that gets you past dog legs, bunkers etc then the extra work would be worthwhile.

So.....my instinct is take straight but if the extra distance would really help then go for it.

Last edited:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I thought that would be the answer! I just hope I can control it and it doesn't turn back into a 50 yard slice!

It is just frustrating knowing there is another 17 yards there easily with the same swing speed and it is just a setup change.

There is also roll to add onto those numbers and the high spinny one was stopping a lot quicker too on the trackman making the overall distance gap greater. Although I tend to ignore the total distance on trackman

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That would have been an interesting question to ask Luke Donald when he was in his pump at World No1.

He was a short hitter and at that time he holed everything from 10' in

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBh 230 carry is fine unless you have a loads of par 4's over 450. if you carry it that far you will be getting 20 yards on run on a good day, so even on a 400 yard hole you will only be going in with an 8 iron

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah I guess you are all correct.

Part of me is worried about the slice coming back in but will focus my efforts on that rather than trying to rebuild the swing to get more distance.