What would you do?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok,
Most of us are nearing the season end and some of us have reached goals and other may have yet to reach them....Getting injured again at the start of this year has thrown me back just a little but iv been happy with most of the progress....
Iv been bouncing a few things around inside my head.....Iv always had long term goals when i first took up the game 3 years ago...
1. To represent our club
2. To get as low as i can on my own with no lessons....

Both are still a work in progress but i more than likely will be playing for the club next year...
My handicap is dropping and this year has been the first that i can actually say i feel like im on the edge of getting a very low round in....Lowest so far has been a nett 69..
So here's the thing....Do i get myself on a course of 6 lessons for the winter at maybe 1 a month......Or should i keep plugging away the self thought route.....Some have seen my swing and some haven't but its not like an octopus falling from a tree anyway thank god.....Iv played with a few low single figure handicappers over the summer months and they have said not to go down the lessons road.....

If i stay going without the lessons im more than likely going to go down the S&T route as i think im closer to than (So iv been told:thup:) than starting from scratch and going the conventional route....I guess the S&T swing would be the more easier of the 2 to sway towards :eek:oo: excuse the pun:whistle:

All that im struggling with really is the driver and the odd wayward shot with the 3 wood....

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Few years back I was in a similar situation and wanted to make the push on downward to single figures book a lesson explained to the pro and he gave me the choice of eradicating well practiced faults but meaning hard work lots of practice and almost certain guarantee of scores going off the scale for a while. Or stay as I was and struggle to make much more progress.
I choose the lesson route did go haywire but after 3/4 months the new swing was working nicely h/cap fell to low point of 7.8 and life was good.
Then industrial accident wife and kids got in the way so a bit of a sabbatical but when I started again managed to hit 10 for new allocated h/cap last season.
IMO if you want to get to Single figures the lesson route is best.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Firstly, I can't believe for a minute that low single figure players have told you NOT to take lessons?!?! Secondly, without lessons how will you know you have got S&T right?

If you want to get better, take lessons and stick with what the pro tells you. And get as much range time in as possible working on those things. No point paying for lessons then going back to your old ways.

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Kid - in the same boat myself.

Got to 14 without any lessons and also stuggle with the driver on the bad days.

I am gonna carry on with my own until I can get no further and start failing to hit the buffer in comps. Still feel like a few better decisions and better concentration could get me a few more off the handicap.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Firstly, I can't believe for a minute that low single figure players have told you NOT to take lessons?!?! Secondly, without lessons how will you know you have got S&T right?

If you want to get better, take lessons and stick with what the pro tells you. And get as much range time in as possible working on those things. No point paying for lessons then going back to your old ways.

:thup: 100%

T

thecraw

I'm changing my grip now. Its tough when the 40 yard block right jumps out at you but I know I need to neutralize my strong left hand.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And get as much range time in as possible working on those things.

This is the clincher for me.
What you do depends on how much time you can put into making the changes part of your routine swing.
IF you can't put the time in then I'd say don't bother.
I've never been a good practicer and either can't or won't put the time in to bed in changes so I've never had lessons.
Not saying don't have them but you need to be able to hit a few thousand balls to make it stick.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The good thing about the lesson route is hopefully, the pro will explain why he/she is suggesting any changes and what improvements they will bring to your game. Your practice will have a purpose, a direction and you will have confidence in what you are doing.
If you try and do it yourself, you may stumble upon a fault that might help balance out another fault but you will spend a long time second guessing yourself wondering what to do next.
I can see the satisfaction of doing it yourself rather than asking for help but is it worth it?
Spending the whole winter, frustration, bad days on the golf course, rows with the wife, just so you can say I did it my way.

Get advice, get practicing, inject some purpose and direction to the work you are going to do and enjoy the results.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you have to pick your instructor very carefully though.

After 5 intensive sessions (with 1000 range balls practice over the week between lessons) I have built a better swing from scratch in 2 days with S&T Youtube videos and taught myself to chip&putt well with a V-Easy.

I struggled to get to grips with what my instructor was looking to do and rightly or wrongly felt that he was trying to get me to build an off-the-shelf swing.

I'm going it alone for a while until I can book a weekend down in England to visit a S&T instructor.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site

Its your choice to believe what you will d4s...Im just stating what i was told..Thats why i was asking the question to the Forum in the first place...To get it from both sides of the people that have and havent had lessons and either could or could not get and maintain a low handicap without them....Are you saying that you cant get to or maintain a low handicap without lessons?
There are a few on here who totally blow that rule out of the water.....

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
The good thing about the lesson route is hopefully, the pro will explain why he/she is suggesting any changes and what improvements they will bring to your game. Your practice will have a purpose, a direction and you will have confidence in what you are doing.
If you try and do it yourself, you may stumble upon a fault that might help balance out another fault but you will spend a long time second guessing yourself wondering what to do next.
I can see the satisfaction of doing it yourself rather than asking for help but is it worth it?
Spending the whole winter, frustration, bad days on the golf course, rows with the wife, just so you can say I did it my way.

Get advice, get practicing, inject some purpose and direction to the work you are going to do and enjoy the results.

Bob to be fair to Youself and James,
Ye both have been of great help to me since the start....So if im honest im not really doing it all myself....I suppose you could call them Cyber Lessons.:thup:
And yes the advice was well worth the effort.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Its your choice to believe what you will d4s...Im just stating what i was told..Thats why i was asking the question to the Forum in the first place...To get it from both sides of the people that have and havent had lessons and either could or could not get and maintain a low handicap without them....Are you saying that you cant get to or maintain a low handicap without lessons?
There are a few on here who totally blow that rule out of the water.....

Few being the operative word....out of how many thousands of members on here? There are a few people with enough natural ability to get low without lessons but the vast majority of us have to take lessons and work hard to improve. These 'low single figure' players that told you not to take lessons are either very naturally gifted or just plain dumb. I just cannot see why they would tell someone who is keen to improve not to take lessons.