What would you do if you had a new product idea?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi gang,

Setting myself up for ridicule no doubt but if you thought of a product that didn't already exist what would you do?!

I know new tools/aids/software/devices are constantly introduced and many don’t make it off the ground, and I’m hardly going to go down the road of patenting and inventing something that I clearly do not have the skills to develop, so I wondered if you guys knew of any company that does this? Or would you attempt to approach a brand? How would you be sure they wouldn’t tell you bog off and then go and develop it themselves?

Just out of interest really, anyone know anyone in the know?

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
First thing I'd do is to write up the details of the idea with as much information as possible. Then I'd package it up and mail it to myself, registered post, then I'd stick the envelope (unopened of course) somewhere really safe. That way if anyone does try to screw you you have evidence of your idea, but obviously cheaper than setting up a patent.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
First thing I'd do is to write up the details of the idea with as much information as possible. Then I'd package it up and mail it to myself, registered post, then I'd stick the envelope (unopened of course) somewhere really safe. That way if anyone does try to screw you you have evidence of your idea, but obviously cheaper than setting up a patent.

Isn't the "poor man's copyright" of posting it to yourself just a myth though? Won't hold up in court.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There are 'financial angels' out there who will help you develop your product if they think it is a goer.
Sir Tom Hunter does some great work with his 'Hatchery' in Scotland.
Talk to your local business development council officer for info.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Afaik (your milage may vary, since I only know the legislature for Germany here, but I guess other countries handle it similar), an idea is not protected or even protectable. So even if you wanted to go the patenting way, it has to be something more specific, like an actual prototype or a design document, a concrete algorithm or something like that. Just saying "I thought of a social network where people can befriend each other before Mark Zuckerberg did" is not going to cut it, even if you wrote that idea down and sent it to yourself like James suggested (which is infact a good way to ensure your copyright for for example manuscripts, movie scripts, songs or design documents).

It is a bit of a catch-22 ... the idea is not protected, to develop your product even to the point of a concrete design idea (no matter if it is a virtual one like a piece of software or an actual item like a clubheadcover with built in GPS), which could then be protected by copyright law or a patent, you will have to find people, either individuals or a company, willing to invest time, effort and/or money into it. And you won't get anyone to do that without disclosing more information. There is nothing (except honor and decency maybe) that would prevent these people from selling the product off as theirs and theirs alone.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It can be a very long road, i tried it many moons ago without success.
firstly you need to find if the idea is valid and available to market, https://www.gov.uk/patent-your-invention/what-you-can-patent

If so you then need an NDA via a lawyer, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/non-disclosure-agreements

Then you can talk to a manufacturer, be aware all they have to do is make a slight change to the product and it's not yours anymore.

I know a chap who spent 40k over 15yrs trying to get a brilliant product to market, but failed due to red tape & bs.

good luck

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very interesting reading so far chaps.

I reckon you are correct in the catch 22 scenario and that trust would have to be extended. If it was broken then it's just something you have to live with I guess. What I'm not willing to do is invest my life or real money in something that could easily end as ruff-drivers experience and mate did.

Chances are far higher that the company listens to your idea and says it is either A. a non-starter for some reason I haven't thought of or B. someone else is developing it right now. Once you've left they either laugh and say that guy was nuts or laugh and say we're developing this with a twist. I can imagine it would have to be a very decent company that would agree to take it on and keep you on board with it.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you heard of Kickstarter? Or Crowdfunding? You basically pitch your idea online and people who like the idea support it with their investment. I've never used it so can't tell you the ins and outs of it, but you can offer them first release of the product or something to encourage their investment.

I saw a SmartWatch manufacturer do this - they had the idea and the designs, they put a campaign on one of these websites together and offered the investors dibs on their product first. At the last point I can remember, the watch was sold out due to the level of interest from investors.

I guess that way you would have solid online presence too, so anyone "stealing" the idea would have to explain why, X months before they made the product, you had investors for your version. I'm no lawyer though!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you heard of Kickstarter? Or Crowdfunding? You basically pitch your idea online and people who like the idea support it with their investment. I've never used it so can't tell you the ins and outs of it, but you can offer them first release of the product or something to encourage their investment.

I saw a SmartWatch manufacturer do this - they had the idea and the designs, they put a campaign on one of these websites together and offered the investors dibs on their product first. At the last point I can remember, the watch was sold out due to the level of interest from investors.

I guess that way you would have solid online presence too, so anyone "stealing" the idea would have to explain why, X months before they made the product, you had investors for your version. I'm no lawyer though!

Thanks dude, I think you're on about the Pebble, a sort of smart watch that predates the Apple one by quite a bit. My buddy was one of the investors, he’s a programmer so it was for the geek element.

I think it’s fair to say that I have no appetite for developing this myself, apart from the risks involved I'm not that way driven. What separates me from the Alan Sugars of the world. It’s obvious that passionate entrepreneurs who succeed do so by throwing everything they have at their idea for years until the correct door opens. And often it doesn't, but if it does it’s through as much determination as anything. I possess none of these qualities. What I wondered was could you walk into the e.g. Titleist HQ with an idea and walk out a person with a vested interest in that idea. Does that happen? Or is it the lazy mans dream of getting rich quick.

Thing is its a really good idea.

But I would say that.

No it really is. :)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
There's a lot more options these days.

Long before smart phones and gps on phones, had an idea to use a device based on the Gameboy - cartridge for each course with course planner showing on the lcd display, yardage and ability to type in scores during a round. We milled it around a bit and looked at cost of components and such, but we didn't really push it hard enough to fly. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but we didn't really know how to drive it forward and obviously missed any chance of our success........

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn't the "poor man's copyright" of posting it to yourself just a myth though? Won't hold up in court.

yep the above is pretty much correct

& in this case you gotta remember anyways that you cannot 'patent' an idea only an invention (something that exists in working order)

here in 2013 the system 'moved from a “first to invent” system to a “first to file” system

but even prior this the "poor man's copyright" would be very difficult to sustain in court
- in effect all the person would have is that from a certain "date stamp" they 'owned' a piece of paper with some ideas on it.
the "poor man's patent" would at best be only able, perhaps, if an actual patent application was filed
to “swear behind” a reference

copyright of something like music is a little ways different - folks talk about 'copyrighting' a song but this isn't really accurate - as again you gotta remember 'copyright' isn't something you do, it's something you have indeed you have that from the moment you wrote the music/lyrics
think in the UK this copyright lasts up to a point 70 years after the death of the write - so in that sense it's something folks can pass to grandkids.

the bone of contention is in being able to prove that 'the writer' is the owner of copyright - in a dispute over actual ownership either within a band or if someone else releases a song with music/lyrics that are either identical or extremely similar few years down the line - then in law you have to be able to prove you wrote them first.

but for this as opposed to an 'invention' you can have protection if you were to send yourself a copy of written or 'recorded music' by recorded delivery
but you gotta do the following

[SIZE=-1]
  1. Put a note inside of when and where the material was recorded. If it is not a recording but a manuscript of the music with a lyric sheet date, then note when and where it was written
  2. Include a list of performers on any recording, and the names of writers of the song. Include their addresses.
  3. Make sure that you write the name of the song on the outside of the package - you may have more than one package so need to know which song is where.
  4. Get the post office to date stamp across the seal.
  5. Don't open the package when it arrives, just put it somewhere safe.
[/SIZE]

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks dude, I think you're on about the Pebble, a sort of smart watch that predates the Apple one by quite a bit. My buddy was one of the investors, he’s a programmer so it was for the geek element.

I think it’s fair to say that I have no appetite for developing this myself, apart from the risks involved I'm not that way driven. What separates me from the Alan Sugars of the world. It’s obvious that passionate entrepreneurs who succeed do so by throwing everything they have at their idea for years until the correct door opens. And often it doesn't, but if it does it’s through as much determination as anything. I possess none of these qualities. What I wondered was could you walk into the e.g. Titleist HQ with an idea and walk out a person with a vested interest in that idea. Does that happen? Or is it the lazy mans dream of getting rich quick.

Thing is its a really good idea.

But I would say that.

No it really is. :)

Yes! The Pebble!

You're right. I watched a TV show on Channel 5 about Billionaires... and the outcome was these people generally A) Do not see their job as work, and B) Have a healthy / unhealthy obsession with making money (not being rich, but making money).

I work as a web developer. Sometimes we have people come to us and ask for advice on a new website, but we have to sign a non-disclosure before getting the info about the site. You could do that - start talking to some people / companies who might be able to help with a non-disclosure to say if you can't work with them, they can't steal / sell your idea.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's a lot more options these days.

Long before smart phones and gps on phones, had an idea to use a device based on the Gameboy - cartridge for each course with course planner showing on the lcd display, yardage and ability to type in scores during a round. We milled it around a bit and looked at cost of components and such, but we didn't really push it hard enough to fly. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but we didn't really know how to drive it forward and obviously missed any chance of our success........

Tough break chap, sounds like you were much of the way there.

Thanks for the responses guys I think I've a fair idea of what would lie ahead should I pursue it further. Nice one for the input

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
DM me if you want an NDA, will send you our company standard template. May not be 100% correct for what you want, but a decent starting point and saves you paying out for a lawyer. (To Quote Shawshank, Bunch of ball washing bar stewards)