What would be the problem with this format... if anything?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So let me first caveat this with it's just a bit of fun... :)

I am going away this weekend with 5 other mates and we are playing a mini golf comp / Ryder cup.

Two teams of 3, split between a 4 BBB match and a pairs match playing twice over 2 days. We are also keeping individual stableford scores. All chucking in £20, with the winning team taking £25 each player and then the top 3 stableford players earning a little back to. 1st £25, 2nd £15 and 3rd £5.

Standard points for winning the matches i.e. 1 for win, or 1/2 for the half.

My issue with this is there are actually only 4 points on offer in total as there are only 4 matches played. So I was thinking about creating some "synthetic" matches that I could draw as a blind pairs match out after the 2 matches had finished each day and retrospectively work out what the result of that match would have been had they played together. The only constraint being the original 2-ball couldn't be drawn again.

So:

Match 1 has TEAM A / players A&B v TEAM 1 / players 1&2
Match 2 has TEAM A / player C v TEAM 2 / player 3

Then draw blind

Synthetic Match 3 has TEAM A / Player A v TEAM 1 / Player 3
Synthetic Match 4 has TEAM A / Player B v TEAM 1 / Player 2
Synthetic Match 5 has TEAM A / Player C v TEAM 1 / Player 1

Apart from the obvious not knowing the outcome and thus losing any tension during the actual match are there any obvious problems that would happen with such a format?

Thought it would be quite fun to do in the bar after with the draw as we can have each player give their own score for the hole in order as if the match was being played.

Does this even make sense? :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Nope

:eek:

Doing it in the bar sounds like a recipe for disaster. I can imagine the results will change after each round is consumed :D

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Its clearly going to be a good laugh between you all anyways - and whats £20 if you all have a good time

Clearly state what your intentions are regarding the rounds & rules of the blind draw etc

And then go enjoy yourselves!!

DCB

Visit site
Used to go on a boys spring weekend and we just kept the same teams the whole way through the weekend. Made for good banter and a good competitive spirit ;)

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about adding in a nearest the pin each round for a bonus half point for the team closest?

Yeah, nice idea. I will definitely do that.

Used to go on a boys spring weekend and we just kept the same teams the whole way through the weekend. Made for good banter and a good competitive spirit ;)

Well the teams will be the same, the matches will be different though. Drawn for day 1 and on the 2nd day the 2 highest stableford players from each team will play in the pairs match and the other 4 will play in the remaining 4bbb

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope

:eek:

Doing it in the bar sounds like a recipe for disaster. I can imagine the results will change after each round is consumed :D

Well there is that worry... Although hopefully even if we get it wrong in the bar I will have the cards to correct later!!

Its clearly going to be a good laugh between you all anyways - and whats £20 if you all have a good time

Clearly state what your intentions are regarding the rounds & rules of the blind draw etc

And then go enjoy yourselves!!

Yeah definitely :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im not sure I completely follow the OP, but I went away with a few mates last year playing BB each day, and we gave a point for each hole up in the match result so ensure a bit of separation in the points.

So win 6&5 gets 6pts, 2&1 is 2pts, etc.
The only problem was by the last round only 2 people could win.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The only problem was by the last round only 2 people could win.

Been on a couple of trips where there wee different formats and exactly this was the case.

So much preferable for a day-by-day (or match-by-match) comp, with perhaps something token overall.

It generally all goes on alcohol anyway - at least until the last day!