What type of Golf Balls do you use?

Do you favour any type of golf ball?

• Premium (e.g. say over £35 per dozen)

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Upper Mid Range (e.g. say £25-35 per dozen)

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Lower Mid Range (e.g. say £20-25 per dozen)

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • Budget (e.g. Under £20)

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Lake Balls

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Whatever you find, any ball

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Whatever you find, as long as it isn't a Pinnacle / Top Flight (or similar)

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Total voters

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve gone premium, basing this on serious/comp rounds in nice weather! I’ll generally play any premium ball I’ve either found or bought when on offer (wouldn’t pay top dollar), or a cheaper version, ie, seed, vice etc.

MACM85

Visit site
Currently using Wilson Staff Model balls. Previously used Seed which I liked but prefer the feel of the Wilson balls

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use mid range but buy as lake balls, which should I choose on the poll? 🤷🏻‍♂️😀
I think this has been said before. Some folk say they wouldn’t use lake balls, but then play a ball that they found in a bush. How do they know that it has never seen the bottom of a pond. Because of the materials used to make modern golf balls they probably have a half life akin to plutonium 🤣 and I can’t see that water will cause too much degradation. I personally don’t buy lake balls, but I have no problem playing premium balls that I find in friendly knocks. Who knows where they have been? If they are duff it only takes a couple of hits to notice and they then get fired down the range.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I have chopped and changed for years, generally using whatever I find but with some caveats. I won't use a brand I haven't heard of, and I don't like balls with too many markings from the previous owner(s). Conversely, I love a ball with a random corporate logo on it! I will even use Pinnacle, Slazenger, Dunlop, but not Top Flite - don't ask me why, I have no idea. These are prejudices that I just have to live with.
This season I've won a few sleeves so it's been a bit of a treat to use new balls and that's made me want to continue. Now I have the problem of deciding which ones to go with.

Last edited:

Boabie

Visit site
Does it matter?
An amateur and a professional discussing what is meant by feel of a golf ball after much discussion and ball striking it turns out to be "the sound made when the ball connects the clubface".
If it made any difference what so ever why would the "top brands" resort to paying professionals to use their ball. Tiger Woods could use a burst tennis ball and still beat me.
Colin Montgomerie once said "I change my ball after every hole but I don't pay for my balls".

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be honest in the winter I'll tend to use anything especially when the course is wet (like now) and it is windy. I have a load of the old Titleist NXT which was a great ball in the day and I am trying to get through them although I may use AD333 or the current tour speed/tour soft

If we get less wind I will use a premium ball and have so many loose ones knocking about I'll just grab a handful for the bag and go from there. Truth be told I have more balls (especially premium) than even my dubious ability will lose in the rest of my career, Must sort them and put some up for sale

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this has been said before. Some folk say they wouldn’t use lake balls, but then play a ball that they found in a bush. How do they know that it has never seen the bottom of a pond. Because of the materials used to make modern golf balls they probably have a half life akin to plutonium 🤣 and I can’t see that water will cause too much degradation. I personally don’t buy lake balls, but I have no problem playing premium balls that I find in friendly knocks. Who knows where they have been? If they are duff it only takes a couple of hits to notice and they then get fired down the range.
Lake balls are also a bit of a generic term. I bought a batch recently from a greenkeeper at a local course. I'm pretty sure the course in question doesn't have water but it's become a generic term for second hand balls.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be honest in the winter I'll tend to use anything especially when the course is wet (like now) and it is windy. I have a load of the old Titleist NXT which was a great ball in the day and I am trying to get through them although I may use AD333 or the current tour speed/tour soft

If we get less wind I will use a premium ball and have so many loose ones knocking about I'll just grab a handful for the bag and go from there. Truth be told I have more balls (especially premium) than even my dubious ability will lose in the rest of my career, Must sort them and put some up for sale
If this rollback happens you might want to hang onto them! You'll be laughing!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i use Prov 1 in the summer, but winter any old rubbish will do, though i do prefer a soft ball in winter. don't tend to buy balls always find plenty while walking the dog.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
i use Prov 1 in the summer, but winter any old rubbish will do, though i do prefer a soft ball in winter. don't tend to buy balls always find plenty while walking the dog.
I haven't bought my winter ball either, I won a box of Titleist TrueFeels for winning a scramble event, so figure they will do me until Spring. Although I did lost two already the other day. :LOL:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’m pretty much settled for on the Seed 01 now. Does everything I need and is cheaper that the equivalent Pro V.

I still have a stash of Pro Vs that will get used at some point. But over the summer I stick to playing the same ball.

I’ve got about 30 Tour Speed to see me through winter times. And bag full of good condition mid range balls to use if the weather is looking particularly bad.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Interested to know from those that use different ball in summer & winter. If its a crappy summers day do you use your winter ball of choice?

Swango1980

Visit site
Interested to know from those that use different ball in summer & winter. If its a crappy summers day do you use your winter ball of choice?
Nah. I've a feeling it is temperature related rather than wind, rain or even ground conditions. Even a rubbish summers day is over 10 degrees, whereas in winter it is often sub zero.

Hitting a decent ball still.feels better in summer, even if it is a poor day. Hitting a decent ball in sub zero seems to make no difference at all.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nah. I've a feeling it is temperature related rather than wind, rain or even ground conditions. Even a rubbish summers day is over 10 degrees, whereas in winter it is often sub zero.

Hitting a decent ball still.feels better in summer, even if it is a poor day. Hitting a decent ball in sub zero seems to make no difference at all.
Agreed. Plus it's more about buying the balls in the first place. Not going to buy a new box of good golf balls once we arrive in winter. Whereas on that dodgy summer's day you already have them.