What time do we call it a day?

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I came off the course today and parked next to me was one of our very senior players who was changing out of his golf shoes back into his normal shoes.

"Been out playing?" I asked him.

"No", he replied "I've just been having a lesson with the Pro on my wedges".

It was all I could do not to bow down before him - this guy is 85 for heaven's sake but looks about 65.

I'll have a pint of whatever he's on, although funnily enough he doesn't drink alcohol. So go figure...

What a man! and more power to his elbow!! An absolute legend at our place.

His positive spirit and dedication to the game has given me a huge lift all day since.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have an 85 year old who plays in our roll up and I kid you not I have seen him jogging to his ball at times.

Unfortunately he has not played for about a month now because he feels a burden to his playing partners, hopefully he will get persuaded to return soon.

Fair play to anyone at that age that plays.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We have a 95yr old who is still actively playing in and for our B-team 👍🏌️

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have a 3 ball which play 9 holes every Monday, all of them are above 90. After the round they go into the club house and order sandwiches and share a bottle of wine between them.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i hope if im still alive at 85 and that i still play and im going to carry a pencil bag with 3/4 clubs and not let a single person through. still i have 40 plus years to go so am prepared to wait before i get my revenge

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of our regular 4ball is either 84 or 85 and is as fit as a fiddle. Plays 9 holes three times a week (weather permitting) and 18 holes on Saturday. Considering he is also a diabetic he does really well and never holds anyone up.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a 93 year old who sadly died this year. Up until his death he still played 5 days a week and occasionally could still outdrive me. The only problem we had with him was when he put his name down for a match somebody had to phone his wife the night before to get her to remind him that he was selected for the team.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Not sure if I'm more impressed about the guy in the OP playing golf at that age or the fact he's having a lesson and still trying to get better

Definitely the latter. I mean, yes, it is amazing enough to still play at that age. There are a few at our club who still do, but they are normally content with getting out into the fresh air and having a chat with their mates and don't care that much about how well they play anymore. But to still strive to get better, to learn new skills at that age, that`s really admirable.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure if I'm more impressed about the guy in the OP playing golf at that age or the fact he's having a lesson and still trying to get better
Yeah that was amazing part. You'd think at that age you'd just be happy to get out and play, but to still be taking lessons and wanting to get better is admirable.