What tales of woe do we have today

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sat Medal started out well with a gross 40 on the front nine (with a double bogey on the 9th).

Unfortunately the double bogey was a prelude of what was to come. I birdied the 10th to steady the ship (or so I thought) and then proceeded to bogey / double bogey all the way in. Ended up with a gross 89, nett 67. Good enough for a third place finish but I was really hoping this was the round to demolish my handicap!

Ah well back to the drawing board :)

Glenfish

Club Champion
Visit site
Was in the gents before we started and guy came in moaning as he just 4 putted the 9th, he was well upset , so we had our round and amazingly enough I had an 18" put on the 9th for my best ever score but completely fluffed it :mad:

So I blame him ;)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played Friday, pick-up game and a lot of fun. Didn't play particularly well as the swing still isn't reliable but it's getting there. Some of the putting was also pretty decent, some wasn't.

Really fluked one hole, way, way off line with the drive (I maintain it was the wind and nothing to do with my misalignment). Ended up 210 yds away on the far side of the adjacent fairway tucked under some trees and around 180-190 from the green. Ball was sitting up well and I thought I couldn't muck it up any worse so I tried my 3-iron (on the grounds that it's new and I hadn't tried it yet and I might keep it low under the trees). Smack in the middle of the green, 50 ft from the pin. Putted it for a birdie! (I measured it later on Google earth).

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Missed my third qualifying card for handicap by one stoke today. After adjustments I had one that would have seen me in at H/C 21 and the second at H/C 23. Really only needed a scoring card of any sort to make up my three.

Just to clarify , this would be a 'General Play' H/C and not one that would qualify me for medals - I don't play them yet and only want an H/C so that I can play some of the H/C only courses where I go on holiday.

Some upsides though:

1) Finding that the 7 iron is 'the club' for chipping for me. Didn't flub or top it once.
2) The strenghtening of the grip ive had to make gives more distance and no more slicing at the expence of the occasional pull (I'll work on that)
3) The pitch shots are coming on a treat
4) Ive got the makings of a punch shot coming on. Weve got a huge tree planted smack bang in the middle of a pinch point in the fairway on the 16th at about 260 yards. Together with the other tree's that connect with this one high up there's no way over it for a second shot. You can't play up to it as it's a par four (waste of a shot) and any fairway under the spread of the tree is bare and hard. A low punch with a 4 or 5 iron seems the way.

All in all a good weekend but a few better thought-out shots and I would be on my way to my first handicap cert- bah
:(