What really grinds your gears with golf?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
[/QUOTE] there is one near me 200 yards... [/QUOTE]

We have a brute that plays anywhere bewteen 200 and 220, usually into the wind. My buddy plays off 24 and would consistently end up in the clag or deep bunkers left and right trying to go for a target he just cannot reach consistently. This year he started laying up with a 5 wood into the generous reasonably flat area in front of the green, he usually walks off with 4 but has had a couple of 3s.

If you've got the shots, use em!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
there is one near me 200 yards... [/QUOTE]

We have a brute that plays anywhere bewteen 200 and 220, usually into the wind. My buddy plays off 24 and would consistently end up in the clag or deep bunkers left and right trying to go for a target he just cannot reach consistently. This year he started laying up with a 5 wood into the generous reasonably flat area in front of the green, he usually walks off with 4 but has had a couple of 3s.

If you've got the shots, use em![/QUOTE]

This ^

Nobody has a divine right to be able to reach a par 3 in 1 shot. It's a golf hole, just get down in the fewest possible shots.
If it was a 220 par 4 with trouble all around the green lots more people would lay up, but because it says par 3 on the card most think they are forced to go for it.

A combination of a short hitter and a long par 3 probably means it's a shot hole anyway.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
there is one near me 200 yards...

If you've got the shots, use em![/QUOTE]

This ^

Nobody has a divine right to be able to reach a par 3 in 1 shot. It's a golf hole, just get down in the fewest possible shots.
If it was a 220 par 4 with trouble all around the green lots more people would lay up, but because it says par 3 on the card most think they are forced to go for it.

A combination of a short hitter and a long par 3 probably means it's a shot hole anyway.[/QUOTE]

does when there is water involved and its 170 yards carry

240 par 4 would be much more fun! lay up more chance of par .. lay up for a bogey doesnt feel as great

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't pay into the 2's club if it is windy as 3 of our 4 par 3's tend to be into the wind and require a hybrid for me to reach. Not worth it and makes the round a bit duller. At least one of these holes could be moved forward to make it a really good 120-130yd par 3. All the best par 3's I've ever played have been short ones.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Not keen on the phrase "grinds your gears", sorry.

Equipment wise, everything to be 50% less expensive but same quality would be great (not happening)

How about an indestructible brolly-trolley combination for strong wind+rain.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I'm with Lord Tyron on this, long par 3's 200 yds plus, totally no nead for them. Plenty of chances to hit long shots on the fours and fives. Par 3's should be about accuracy not distance.

Our shortest par three off the whites is about 175-180. When I was fitted for a driver I was hitting it 170-180 Max with 30-50 yd run on. I do not have a club that will get up 10 and stop dead on the green. Think that all clubs should have a green that's 100-130 yd. oddly enough all the courses we played in Norfolk had iron reaching green and I played outta my skin on them.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Things that annoy;

Manufacturers bring out 'new' clubs (or balls) every year, when in fact, the club are in essence exactly the same.
People that take it too seriously (i'm one of them)
Pitchmarks on the green - there's no need for it!
Jobsworth members that think they own the place

Things i'd like to see;

GPS golf ball locators!

Exactly all this,we'll arrange a game one day mate you sound like the ideal playing partner :thup:.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it comes to equipment. What grinds my gears the most is how expensive a lot of it has become.

The only upside is how easy it is to buy last years models at a more realistic price.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The ridiculous price charged for golf shoes, e.g. the Adidas Gripmore. £80, discounted down from £90. Yet a pair of Adidas Samba trainers can be bought for £25, discounted down from £50.

£55 difference between the Gripmore's and the Samba's... rip off!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't pay into the 2's club if it is windy as 3 of our 4 par 3's tend to be into the wind and require a hybrid for me to reach. Not worth it and makes the round a bit duller. At least one of these holes could be moved forward to make it a really good 120-130yd par 3. All the best par 3's I've ever played have been short ones.

Every club should have least one short par 3 if they insist on having all these long ones

Just 1 wouldn't kill them would it?

There is a course I played with my cousin once had an 80 yard par 3 was really interesting to play

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Long par 3's are a grave disappointment and increasingly common
/QUOTE]

I hate long par 3s with a passion

Do you play them as a par 3 or a par 4 when (if) you get a shot?

I have never minded long par 3s but I tend to look to lay up or run on the front. I count anything over 190 as a long par 3 though.

What I do hate is long carries with no viable alternative for those who cannot make the carry, that is just poor course design for a members club. Fine to have it for the very back tees but NEVER for normal competition tees.

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
The pros inability to shout fore,how long will it be before someone is knocked out or loses an eye when they get hit full on in the face. If it happened to me a crap signed glove would not cut it.
Just watching the Irish open and not one of them has shouted fore yet.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
[QUOT

Do you play them as a par 3 or a par 4 when (if) you get a shot?

I have never minded long par 3s but I tend to look to lay up or run on the front. I count anything over 190 as a long par 3 though.

What I do hate is long carries with no viable alternative for those who cannot make the carry, that is just poor course design for a members club. Fine to have it for the very back tees but NEVER for normal competition tees.

I'm not against using my shot and in fact I did so only last week when it was windy. Par 3, 170yds into a headwind. 150yd carry over a stream and hedge, out of bounds left. It made it about 170 to clear the ditch, absolutely straight. I took an 8 iron and laid up. Chipped on, two putts, happy with that. I took some stick but better than coming off with a 5 or more after a visit to the ditch or oob after trying to over hit the ball with a rescue, been there before.

I probably should do this a little more often. You get drawn in by hitting a great rescue and having a chance of a two. Unfortunately that happens 1 in 5 or so and the other times you are having to recover from trouble. Course management dear boy, course management. Memo to self, good point SB.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I tell you what grinds my gears when it comes to clubs. Was fitted for a SLDR. £300 plus quid and it was tripe. So much so I would never buy TM again. But is the problem with TM?
I was fitted at my club, it put about 15yd on me drives on the charts. But on the course it took about 20 yds off and put it 30 yds right. I fiddled with it ( weights) to the point that I sold it after 6 months and lost £200.
Would like it to be standard that once you have had a fitting for a club or clubs and paid a good chunk of cash for said club. You have a second date arranged to see how you are getting on with it/them.

G

guest100718

lack of etiquette. Talking, moving whispering... how hard is it to shut up and still for 15 seconds or so!
Lack of care for the course, pitchmark repairs, raking bunkers, replacing divots etc.
Guys who are scared of progress and wish it was the 1950s and they could blackball prosepctive members.

Sock police
Dress code police

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tell you what grinds my gears when it comes to clubs. Was fitted for a SLDR. £300 plus quid and it was tripe. So much so I would never buy TM again. But is the problem with TM?
I was fitted at my club, it put about 15yd on me drives on the charts. But on the course it took about 20 yds off and put it 30 yds right. I fiddled with it ( weights) to the point that I sold it after 6 months and lost £200.
Would like it to be standard that once you have had a fitting for a club or clubs and paid a good chunk of cash for said club. You have a second date arranged to see how you are getting on with it/them.

I think though once you get custom fit for a club its best to not touch the settings at all.. put the wrench in a draw and leave it..

The change could be the slightest of change in your swing rather than the club itself as majority is down to swing over equipment

custom fit then never touch is best way otherwise you wasted the custom fit!

you can always go to a club fitter and get them to check if its the best for you still and fiddle with the weights , but best for them to do it

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Had 2 fitting sessions with TM Tashy. First one I replaced everything in the bag bar the 2 wedges and putter. All were gone within 6 months. Tried again a couple of years later but didn't buy.

Both sessions by visiting TM fitters... not impressed.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Had 2 fitting sessions with TM Tashy. First one I replaced everything in the bag bar the 2 wedges and putter. All were gone within 6 months. Tried again a couple of years later but didn't buy.

Both sessions by visiting TM fitters... not impressed.

talking to a guy last night at Missis Ts retirement do. He bought the callaway epic and irons to match for Christmas, £1500. The lot is now on eBay as we speak. He has gone back to his i15's.