What part does the right hand play in the downswing?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It wasn't an admission, I was just thinking about your slow swing when I wrote it..... for the rest of us it's 3/100ths :D

One day you might actually type the words 'I was wrong'!:rolleyes:

Or do you still maintain that the downswing is 3/100ths?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just to add my tuppence :D

A golf professional’s average time for the backswing is 0.80 seconds, with an additional 0.28 seconds to make the down swing to impact. That is an ideal ratio of 3:1, meaning it takes 1/3 the amount of time to make a downswing compared to your backswing

http://www.zepp.com/the-lab/tempo-is-your-golf-swing-on-time/

Also.

Tiger Woods' 8 iron swing takes 1.2 seconds from takeaway to impact

http://www.lpga.com/instruction/golf-tips/tips/articles/2013/4/improve-your-golf-swing-tempo.aspx

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
So if 3/100ths of a second is right, to maintain an ideal tempo the time elapsed from the start of the backswing to impact is 12/100ths of a second?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So if 3/100ths of a second is right, to maintain an ideal tempo the time elapsed from the start of the backswing to impact is 12/100ths of a second?
That's right!

I think I was justified to challenge that number!:whistle: Wrong by about a factor of 10!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
¼ second seems fair enough to transition into the left side and perform the downswing.

I don't care if it's 3/100th, 18/100th or 30/100th ..... all are quicker than human reaction times :thup:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Was just reading this from an interesting golf book.....

IFzgm8b.gif

and this....

2N1xa8M.gif

:thup:

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Is the right hand not where you feel pressure from the handle which tells you that you've left the clubhead trailing somewhat?

Great question.... awkward answer.

There is a pressure point at the top of the right hand index finger.... and we feel it AT TIMES.

If you're making a slow swing eg: chipping then you can certainly feel it and apply pressure to the shaft if you so wish, in a 'full-out' swing then the right hand can't apply the same pressure.... but we might FEEL that we do. Prior to impact the right hand generally can't apply or feel pressure on the grip (other than it's holding onto the grip) because the centripetal force is doing the work yet moments after impact we can (the club head has slowed and the right wrist angle changes) but when we feel that impact pressure we often conclude that we felt it BEFORE we hit the ball and were applying pressure... it takes time for our brain to process feelings and by that time the swing/impact has in fact finished.

As it said above in those book excerpts... "drop the right hand out of our thinking as far as hitting the ball goes".

If you find the right impact position you don't need to worry what the right hand is doing, it will already have done what it needs to :thup:

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
A little bit off topic.... but this is a good one too...

LGJUc83.gif

....and this :p

iETOauE.gif

...and who hasn't heard the advice "swing thru to a good finish" from a well meaning 'expert'.... :D

UJjlacY.gif

Last edited:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're making a slow swing eg: chipping then you can certainly feel it and apply pressure to the shaft if you so wish, in a 'full-out' swing then the right hand can't apply the same pressure.... but we might FEEL that we do.

Funny that you mention chipping. When I got back home after Gatwickland I spent a good bit of time trying to go through the chipping technique you showed me. Suddenly, I felt something in my right hand. I then managed to keep that feeling when pitching 50 yards. Took it to the bunker. Jeebus H Price- I got the ball out every time. Took it to the course and concentrated on that feeling alone and suddenly I wasn't fatting anymore. I must have hit 4 fats in the last 30 rounds! Incredible stuff.

It's easier with wedges, less so with mid irons, easier with hybrids (I have quite flexible graphite shafts) and I can't get the feeling with driver.

Rambling- but hopefully a relevant ramble.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
¼ second seems fair enough to transition into the left side and perform the downswing.

I don't care if it's 3/100th, 18/100th or 30/100th ..... all are quicker than human reaction times :thup:

Wrong again!

But no surprise there!:whistle:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
your fave pitching video JO. 2mins 56secs.

[video=youtube;HttXJN0u5E8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HttXJN0u5E8[/video]

*runs for cover! lol

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I use this method from 10ft to 95yds.

All I worry about is how fast I put my hands past my left thigh (after choosing the right club of course).