What part does the right hand play in the downswing?

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always been told that the right hand is there for the journey in the downswing,being left handed and playing right handed this has suited me fine,but today at the range annoyed at my usual short strikes I decided to get the right hand active and use it on the downswing as though making a topspin volley type shot in tennis, the result was a better strike and a few more yards.what's your take on the right hand?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've always been told that the right hand is there for the journey in the downswing,being left handed and playing right handed this has suited me fine,but today at the range annoyed at my usual short strikes I decided to get the right hand active and use it on the downswing as though making a topspin volley type shot in tennis, the result was a better strike and a few more yards.what's your take on the right hand?

I don't think about my hands coming into impact. I don't try and manipulate them through the swing especially near impact.

Can I ask. Doing as you describe above (... If I'm reading it right). Did you hit many low and left?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
no low left just straight and true, only tried it with the irons though.

Genrally speaking, if you're rolling your right hand into impact, as Birchy says, you're closing the face.

If you're timing is off, you'll get some erratic ball flights.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
you will more than likely end up playing wih a kind of pull draw. eventualy this may turn into a destructive hook.

been there, kind of still at it if im being honest!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Topspin volley in Tennis is probably the least controlled shot I know - hugely dependent on timing! And it's more controlled if it's played with a solid right wrist - so the hand isn't really involved at all. Check the relative sizes of Nadal's forearms if you want to see what does the most work on topspin - or Rod Laver for we oldies!

If my right hand starts to stray under where it should be on Drives, I do think 'topspin forehand down the (right court) line' which sorts it out. Not something I have a problem with on irons though.

Otherwise, my right hand really only gets involved through the impact zone.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It should be there as a passenger. Certainly not trying to 'steer' the ball or the clubface... you should just be swinging the club and the ball should be simply 'getting in the way'. The downswing lasts about 3/100ths of a second, if you want to try and sneak something into that timeframe I don't think you'll end up with very good results, consistently.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you set your hands into the correct position in the backswing and maintain the correct pressure in your grip, the hands will naturally release through the impact zone. You shouldn't really have to think about it too much :thup:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
The right hand's sole purpose is to point in the direction the ball has sliced widely off to whilst shouting fore right.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The downswing lasts about 3/100ths of a second, if you want to try and sneak something into that timeframe I don't think you'll end up with very good results, consistently.

Are you sure about that?

Given that over 10% of that time (4/1000ths) is actually how long the club is in contact with the ball during impact, I'd challenge that value!

Got a link/reference?

Mind you, that's probably how long my downswing used to take!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you sure about that?

Given that over 10% of that time (4/1000ths) is actually how long the club is in contact with the ball during impact, I'd challenge that value!

Got a link/reference?

Mind you, that's probably how long my downswing used to take!

And here we go again:blah:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
A further question on this.

If the right hand on the grip is "Only along for the ride"

Why, when people have a strong right had grip is it suggested they change? Surely it doesn't matter?