What one course has disappointed you?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Crail, heard a lot, looked forward to it. what a let down. a big flat field.

Woodhall as well, again heard a lot but was a little disappointed once i played it, i would give it another go though... unlike Crail

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We've had threads about which course you want to play, dream course to play etc etc, but which course have you played that really disappointed you ?

Mine is Mannings Heath.

Played a society at Mannings Heath lost on countback to a guy that had two 5s on his card, but that's another story, I equaled my best ever score there, from what I remember of the course I thought it was good and can't really think of any negatives.

What was your issues with the place?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played a course in Lanzarotte which I can't remember the name of which didn't have full grass fairways, just part black volcanic dust and part grass and if you went of the fairway you teed the ball up with horrible rubber tees that were joined together.

Other than that I can't say I've been disappointed with any other course I've played some good some not so good but have enjoyed them all.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played a society at Mannings Heath lost on countback to a guy that had two 5s on his card, but that's another story, I equaled my best ever score there, from what I remember of the course I thought it was good and can't really think of any negatives.

What was your issues with the place?
Played the Waterfall course, and they made no mention of works being done prior to us finding out when we got to them and an overall poor general condition of the course.. Members that tried to consistently drive through us, even though we were keeping pace with the group in front and again an overall unpleasant feeling.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Burnham and Berrow.

I know it is a decent links but some of my friends in the South West of England were comparing it to Open venues which, after playing, it clearly is not.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
West hill for me.
The first time I went there I loved it.
The 2nd time was for HFH and it was soaking wet and one of my worst days on a course.

Just recently for the meet it was really dry and bare everywhere although the greens were good.
People were raving about it but it really disappoints imo.

I would hope if I play it again it’s in full bloom.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Royal Dornoch.
Maybe I’d built it up too much. It was good, very good, but I expected it to blow my socks off.
I’d love to play it again though.

The Fader

Visit site
Fulford - was in great condition but flat and boring. No feature holes that I can remember. The much vaunted Langer tree is a bit meh!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played the Waterfall course, and they made no mention of works being done prior to us finding out when we got to them and an overall poor general condition of the course.. Members that tried to consistently drive through us, even though we were keeping pace with the group in front and again an overall unpleasant feeling.

Fair enough ,I had no issues when I played ,but when you are getting members trying to drive through you it will never reflect well on the place.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
While the pay and plays hardly ever disappoint me. Southport Municipal was a bit bleak, but at least the company was good.

So I'll go for Ilfracombe. Unfriendly welcome, ignorant green keepers, 2 holes sharing the same tee.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Royal Dornoch.
Maybe I’d built it up too much. It was good, very good, but I expected it to blow my socks off.
I’d love to play it again though.

While I totally disagree with your choice, Royal Dornoch for me is amongst the best I have played. The bit I have highlighted is the crux in my opinion. I have built up a few courses in my mind only to feel very deflated after playing them.

U

User62651

This thread topic was done a good few years back on here and my answer is the same - Southerness, not bad by any means but had built it up in my mind beforehand to be much more than it was............fairly bland.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ganton and Hollinwell. Enough said.
Worst post on this thread. By a considerable margin
H'mm. I'd venture to say that your own post actually qualifies better for that 'award'! At least from a legitimacy pov.

While you you might (strongly) disagree with anyon's opinion, it's impossible to disagree with them having one!

Qwerty's selection of Dornoch (or anyone else's selection) could be pooh-poohed as well, but the reason to be disappointed (as likley in his case) may well not the quality of the course, just the difference between expectation and actuality!

So perhaps you should ask 6535 'WHY?' first

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Downfield was a big let down compared to expectations. Having just played the wonderful Old Course, Jubilee and the very nice Ladybank, our other choice of inland course on the trip was the big disappointment - can't remember too well as 13 years ago but we were all in agreement - not a bad layout and quite pretty for much of it but some awkward ohles, poor greens, surrounds, fairways and bunkers - and we were expecting a Top 100 contender!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Royal North Devon. Sorry Mike.:eek: Was expecting a course similar to Saunton, but apart from a few nice links holes on the front nine, a lot of the holes were very dull. You needed to be Captainron’s size to see over the reeds.:whistle:

Some of the members were not the friendliest to say the least.