What one course has disappointed you?

D

Deleted member 15344

I would never advise you or anyone else not to go therod, unless it’s a real dog of a track like Cleveland is. It’s horses for courses, I really like the Oxfordshire but that’s taken stick on here, it’s what you like and is probably a must play to tick off your list.
It might be silly, but first time I played it 20+yes ago, the starter answered a question with ‘We are Ganton’ !!!!

I’ve played it 4 times, 3 of them was practise round before Mid Amateur 36 event, and I struggle to remember the routing of the holes.

Go play it and make your own mind.

Played Oxfordshire loads and can see the appeal some if people like the open course with a lot of water and sculptured holes , fairways and greens are always in good condition but it has zero character for me plus the par 3’s aren’t great

But I can see why people like it if they prefer those type of courses - Centurion , Marquess etc - all a bit soulless for me

Ganton and Hollinwell - just the total opposite , can feel the character of the course , the history , the natural flow of it - both tough courses but both just made me smile and want to keep playing. I’m always happy to finish the Oxfordshire - just a slog in the end

Visit site
Just got reminded, Woburn. Not played Duchess but any one of them 3 I’d play.

Er wrong thread. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The 10th is a good matchplay hole, but strokeplay not so much. You can’t go there and lay up 🤣🤣🤣.16 17 & 18 are all strong holes. I’ve slagged it off before, but the fairways were like my living room carpet !!! £5.50 for a cappuccino tho 😱😱😱
I remember seeing a sign at the bar last time. All doubles with a splash ONLY £12!

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m probably going to catch a lot of flak for this but I would say Royal County Down, I grew up half an hour from it and spent most of my life hiking and climbing in the mournes but had never played the course. When I did for the first time a couple of years ago I was just very underwhelmed, now it was in fabulous condition and the views are spectacular but too many blind tee shots and some very ordinary holes just meant it did nothing for me. I have seen it voted the best course in the world, I don’t even consider the best in Northern Ireland, and the money they demand is daylight robbery.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I’m probably going to catch a lot of flak for this but I would say Royal County Down, I grew up half an hour from it and spent most of my life hiking and climbing in the mournes but had never played the course. When I did for the first time a couple of years ago I was just very underwhelmed, now it was in fabulous condition and the views are spectacular but too many blind tee shots and some very ordinary holes just meant it did nothing for me. I have seen it voted the best course in the world, I don’t even consider the best in Northern Ireland, and the money they demand is daylight robbery.

Yep, you have opened pandoras box. Ok, the blind drives are a bit grinding, but i love that golf course.

Oh, and i went to downpatrick high school as a kid.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I have seen it voted the best course in the world, I don’t even consider the best in Northern Ireland, and the money they demand is daylight robbery.

Many on here live and die by course ratings, they seem to think that if a course has a top 100 rating....guess what ? it must be good :ROFLMAO:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nairn for me, good golf course and some of the best greens I've ever putted on but overall just wasn't as good as I was expecting given place in course rankings etc.

Aberdovey probably very similar IMO.

Both good courses though and would happily play both again.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
While I totally disagree with your choice, Royal Dornoch for me is amongst the best I have played. The bit I have highlighted is the crux in my opinion. I have built up a few courses in my mind only to feel very deflated after playing them.

Given the thread title Maybe I shouldn’t of mentioned Dornoch as it certainly didn’t disappoint me. I just thought it would of had something a little different that would set it apart given a lot of the misty eyed reviews etc.
I wanted to love the place...I really did 😂

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Given the thread title Maybe I shouldn’t of mentioned Dornoch as it certainly didn’t disappoint me. I just thought it would of had something a little different that would set it apart given a lot of the misty eyed reviews etc.

I wasn't questioning your opinion. We all love different courses for different reasons. I feel the same way as you about Kingsbarns. It was 4 or 5 great holes but for me had so many average holes too and a final hole that needs redesigned.

Everyone else loves the place.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

i must have played Dornoch 20 odd times before i got it, always beat me up. Mind you when i first started getting GM it didn't even make the top 30 in the list the fist few times i saw it

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wasn't questioning your opinion. We all love different courses for different reasons. I feel the same way as you about Kingsbarns. It was 4 or 5 great holes but for me had so many average holes too and a final hole that needs redesigned.

Everyone else loves the place.
with you on KB, "over rated" they did a far better job with Castle Stuart imo

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
with you on KB, "over rated" they did a far better job with Castle Stuart imo

I loved Castle Stuart.. Everything about the place. It had the 6 or so breathtaking holes that I wanted/Expected at RD.
As I said though..I’d love to be in a position to play RD again.. Maybe take it in a little more.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It definitely takes time for some courses to grow on you. First time I played Porthcawl I wasn't impressed, played it 4 or 5 times since and now I love it.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The New Course at St. Andrews. Played it twice but is nowhere near as memorable as the Jubilee or even the Eden course

D

Deleted Member 1156

The views are some of the best the world has to offer but I just didn’t like Isle of Purbeck in dorset
Understand what you are saying, I know plenty of people down here that aren't keen on IOP although personally I actually quite like it.