What one course has disappointed you?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Seaton Carew. I’m not a fan of links courses at the best of times but I really didn’t like the lay out here.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Celtic Manor 2010 course. It was like playing Hurtmore, just a bit longer.

Turnberry Ailsa....disappointed that I like it so much. I wanted not to like it because of Trump!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The Faldo @ The Emirates Golf Club.

Most I'd ever paid (by far) to play a round of golf and as much as the course was in great condition and all that - I just didn't get a feel of great holes and great setting - because the setting for me was awful - felt like I was playing golf in a a housing estate with road and building works all around. And such a distraction was the setting that I didn't really take too much notice of, and enjoy, the holes I was playing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Both points made me smile! Xmas in Elstead this year, so Hurtmore might be on the agenda :-(

Need not be the case - plenty of forummers live round and about Elstead - and even the most miserable and normally a pain-in-the-derriere might well extend the hand :)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why? When did you play it? I've always enjoyed it and considering it's a hotel course and gets a lot of society traffic on has always been in decent condition
if the front 9 was the same as the back 9 it would probably be the best parkland in the county imo.

its one of the best hotel courses around

D

Deleted member 15344

if the front 9 was the same as the back 9 it would probably be the best parkland in the county imo.

its one of the best hotel courses around

I don’t even think the back 9 is that much tbh - it’s a bit meh really

Hanbury Manor is a better course as is St Pierre

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

St Pierre, dont be ridiculous.

you didnt like Walton Heath mate so i aint listening to you :D

Back 9 at Arden is exceptional. great selection of short and long holes. i'm not a fan of the par 3 18th though.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Back 9 at Arden is exceptional. great selection of short and long holes. I'm not a fan of par 3 18ths!
;)

My memory of FoA was the front 9 was on the hardshoulder of the motorway and covered in goose pooh! The back 9 was like a different country! Really good. Deer running all over it too!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Sorry Phil but in my opinion the FoA is significantly better than St Pierre. I thought St Pierre was very bland and uninspiring. Granted there were some good views but the actual quality of the design and the condition didn't do it for me. I don't actually thing there's a huge amount wrong with the front nine at the FoA and it's a typical parkland course but it does really come alive on the back nine. I don't like the last hole but thats more to do with my score there and what could have been

D

Deleted member 15344

Back 9 at Arden is exceptional. great selection of short and long holes. i'm not a fan of the par 3 18th though.

Exceptional ? Sorry but it’s ok - take away the deer and it’s a bit bland with dead trees and a bit of water. Bearwoods back 9 for example is exceptional, Hanbury Manors back 9 is far better. It’s just an ok Marriott Course like all of them

albatross2

Visit site
Look forward to being able to chime in on courses in your part of the world. Stateside, the most disappointing course I’ve played, by far, is Whistling Straits. It’s Pete Dye being too clever by half. It LOOKS beautiful. And like it wants to play as a links. But it’s not a links. No ground game - just target golf. And very expensive targets they are.

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
I played the Bracken at Woodhall Spa during the summer and was a bit disappointed. The course was in fine condition, but if I am honest I found it quite boring. The Hodgekins is the main course, but I just couldn't afford it.

brfcfan

Visit site
Agree with lots of the above.

The Grove
The Shire
Princes
Frilford

but the biggest turd has got to be Cinque Ports, just don't get it. Boring holes, no views of the sea, unfair bounces and terrible condition for parts of the year