What Muscle groups/Exercises should I train to get further distance on my shots?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome Roberto.
I think you would have to give us some information about yourself first.
How old,how tall,what you weigh ect.
The reason is you dont have to be overly strong to play golf.
Look at the difference between Luke Donald and Tiger,poles apart in size
and physical appearence.
Ones brute force the other is finesse

ash01

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Focus on elasticity.

Alot of focus is on core strength and that is very true.

Although full body stretching is a good start.

20 minutes of stretching a day will help distance and will not cause injuries like lifting weights etc. can.

Hope this helps.

Ash!!

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm currently using the TRX, VPER, Kettle-bells and Bosu Balls at the gym to work on my core. Mainly any of the stabilising muscles.
Alot of the power in the swing comes from the core area. You also need the strength to have control of your swing as such virtually all muscles affect the swing in some way. So it depends how fit & strong you are already to some extent.
Have you tried asking a pro, personal trainer or fitness expert at a gym?
Also, search Youtube, they have plenty of golf related exercises on there.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My advise would be to work your body as a whole and try not to focus on specific area(s)

After all, you dont swing a club with individual parts of your body, you work your body as one unit.

As has already been said, core work and flexibilty can help, but gym work can also be used to prevent muscle imbalances.

Ultimately a better technique will get you hitting it further rather than bigger muscles.

D

Deleted member 1147

At your age I was a similar weight - now upto 13st thanks to gym work (and a few extra pints).
At that stage I concentrated on an overall body workout. mainly on weight machines. Then moved onto free weights, now concentrating on "golf" workout.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the response
Height: 6,2
Weight: Around 10 and a half stone

Ok thats better.
I remember when i was 10 stone wet through,yes is was a long time ago.
For your size i would imagine you are to put it nicely streemlined.
As has been said,a strong core is essential,and weights will help.
Plenty of websites wil point you in the right direction.
But good timing and a good release will also add distance.

beck9965

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd go with the personal trainer for muscle groups/pro for stretching regime , i have and have already started to add yards to my game and i've only been at it for five weeks, it's hard work but the benefits are worth it, you will also have a lot more control of your swing. I have the trainer for one session and go to the gym three times a week.

Visit site
I just wanted to know because you see the pros on tv (not saying I am) don't look bulked up taking tiger woods for an example. So would being a bit more bulked up help distance?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
You need to do work on range of movement of your upper body to create more elasticity in your muscle groups. Training with light weights of high reps is better for you than heavy weights at low reps. You do not want to start building up big muscles as that can restrict your range of moevment. Look at all the tour players that spend time in the gym. They do not have big body builders muscles, but what they do have is lean strong muscles as you will not cause any restriction in your swing. I am undergoing rehab for my bust shoulder at the moment and my instructor has got me doing a program that will also assist me in my golf swing. I hit some balls yesterday on the range and can already feel the benefit after just 1 month as my swing feels so easy yet is generating plenty of power.

beck9965

Head Pro
Visit site
No you don't want to bulk up too much as this can promote inflexability, you need to get the muscle groups stronger so they can contract faster this will increse swing speed an give you more distance.
Madadey beat me too it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i would say yes it would. my mate gave up the game for a year and trained hard and hit the gym as he plays gaelic and he came back built. he can hit the ball a long way but its through brute force and ignorance. hes not a technique man at all. hes hit the par 5 17th at ours with a driver , 7 iron. ive never been on in two in my life. been close mind you but never on. he plays off 22. i whip him at golf any day but he can, and does at times, pound the ball a long way!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well theres three reasons to dislike someone you dont know .. :D only jelous mate dont mind me .. go on sicken me altogether what handicap are ya ?

haha probably has a nice tan too with a name like roberto santa cruz. some people have all the luck :rofl:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
No you don't want to bulk up too much as this can promote inflexability

Most pro body builders can perform the splits. Muscle size has very little relevance to flexability.

you need to get the muscle groups stronger so they can contract faster this will increse swing speed an give you more distance.

Muscle contraction is based on type not strength. Type 1 or slow twitch fibres produce energy through oxygen (ATP) and are used for endurance. Type 2 are fast twitch fibres that contract at a fatser rate any event that requires a massive one-off or very unsustainable effort. Problem with these fibres is they will fatigue more quickly due to the energy created and spent.

Sarcoplasmic and myofibrilar hypertrophy (Strength VS size training) are a different subject all together.

beck9965

Head Pro
Visit site
Most pro body builders can perform the splits. Muscle size has very little relevance to flexability.

Muscle contraction is based on type not strength. Type 1 or slow twitch fibres produce energy through oxygen (ATP) and are used for endurance. Type 2 are fast twitch fibres that contract at a fatser rate any event that requires a massive one-off or very unsustainable effort. Problem with these fibres is they will fatigue more quickly due to the energy created and spent.

Sarcoplasmic and myofibrilar hypertrophy (Strength VS size training) are a different subject all together.

Sarcoplasmic, is low strength just for bulking up as it is an increase of fluid around the muscle this is why bodybuilders go for this type of training whereas myofibrillar is protein increase and although will build muscle it will also increase strenght.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sarcoplasmic, is low strength just for bulking up as it is an increase of fluid around the muscle this is why bodybuilders go for this type of training whereas myofibrillar is protein increase and although will build muscle it will also increase strenght.

It's the old powerlifter vs BB'er debate about which is better for gaining size and/or strength (...... Like I said, different debate).

In either case, the muscle size will not cause inflexability.

Last edited:

beck9965

Head Pro
Visit site
It's the old powerlifter vs BB'er debate about which is better for gaining size and/or strength (...... Like I said, different debate).

In either case, the muscle size will not cause inflexability.

It can restrict your range of movement though,thats what i meant by inflexability.

Last edited: