What is your Pre-Shot routine!

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
Two practise swings for rythm. Then stand 3 or 4 paces behind the ball, pick out a spot a couple of feet in front of the ball on the line I want. Line my club head up with that spot, address the ball with my feet together then move left foot out then right. Rehearse take away a la Mike Weir. One look at the target, head down and go.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two practise swings for rythm. Then stand 3 or 4 paces behind the ball, pick out a spot a couple of feet in front of the ball on the line I want. Line my club head up with that spot, address the ball with my feet together then move left foot out then right. Rehearse take away a la Mike Weir. One look at the target, head down and go.

good stuff thats what im looking for!

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i am very guilty of being lazy on this subject , need to have a close look at this area and take a few notes from these threads

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site

very simular to above,although without the practice swings(stopped doing this as get so peed off with a duffed shot after perfect practice swings) i just make a point of not grounding the club in a bid to avoid tensing the arms or grip, then just swing within myself, resist the "rip it" attitude or it ends in tears .

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Point at my target with my club, line up with a point about 3 ft in front of me, address the ball and square my club to that point with my left hand. Make sure I'm happy with my left hand, not too strong or weak bring my right hand over, One last look up and then it all goes dark and I don't know what happens next. :D

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Atticus,

judging by yesterday's play you don't need to know where it goes. Just walk a quarter of a mile down the fairway and it'll be there, apparently;)

You stopped smiling yet?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I stand a little behind the ball, pondering distance and ideal shape (or bail out!). I find a spot on the fairway ahead of the ball (mostly using the shaft as a long range aim), then address the ball fairly casually aiming over the spot. Take a step away from the ball, swing a couple of times grazing the turf for feel, slide up to the ball, double-check the near-point for aim (and club face angle), settle into my stance, get my shoulders aligned (els style) then fire!

If I want to upset my opponent, I'll look to and from the target 7 times (olazabal style), decide something is wrong, take another club out the bag, then do it all again!!

I'll either nail it like a real hero or hit it fat!!!

Dave

hellbunker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
stand behind the ball and pick out my line about 1 mtr infront and line up on that...take a deep relaxing breath, checking ball position in relation to feet; check grip; one last look down the fairway, nice slow take away, concentrating on completing a a nice rythmic swing NOT result. One piece of advice on practice swings...take as few as possible....think about it. If you take 2 practice swings before each shot, you in esscence are taking 290 shots per round...a little exagerated but you get my point...

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was once told that if my shoulders were pointing at my target that it didnt really matter where my feet were pointing. with in reason. 1 practice swing is all any of us should need. I get pissed off while waiting on a guy having 3 - 4 practice swings then duffing the ****ing thing.

How many practice swings do you take over a putt?
I take 2 swings over a putt any more and I've forgotten the line. than I get bored.

def

Medal Winner
Visit site
best advice i had is to see shot from behind ball and target then one practise swing before clubbing it into the rough

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
hell, my practise swings are not really full swings, they're more swishes to get the rhythm of the swing.
this one's interesting.
I see a lot of people who don't take a full practice swing, but just 'walk through' the shot without much momentum and sometimes without a follow-through and I know one who does the opposite - exaggerates his practice swing to a ridiculous extent (incuding the putt!!)
I think you need to do the whole thing as you intend to hit it, on the basis that it really is a dry run, next time the ball will just be in the way.
(Having said that, Mr. Exaggerate is good player - just annoys the hell out of everyone while he ponces, if I can say that, around!)

AliB

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
i tend to take two practice swings and hopefully get the 'feel' that i can make the shot but i have taken two swings not felt right and still addressed the ball and.......topped it 30yds. why oh why didn't i listen to that little voice. :D

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
If its with my driver, stand well away from the ball and one half swing, its a familiarisation thing.
If its with an iron, one practice swing and make sure my feet and shoulder are pointing in the right direction as I have a habit of aiming far too far right then almost hooking the ball back on target, thats sorted by my psr though.
Chipping, I take at least one practice shot and try to gauge mentally how the ball will react when it takes its first bounce, is it uphill, are there any mounds to clear, is the green wet/dry is it wind against, can I afford to hit it a little harder than I think it needs? How is the ball actually laying, can I get at the bottom of the ball cleanly etc.

Putting is a personal thing as everyone will agree, I mark the ball, clean it, replace it and make sure its not swaying etc then takemy stance just short of the ball and practice two putting stroke 4-6 inches above the ball to getmyself hitting on the right line, then step up and hit it.
Because of my routines I alays try to get to my ball before anyone else is ready to hit as I take a little time around the ball, not necessarily when over it though, my belief is that if you rush it you will make mistakes, if you take too long you will invent obstacles and problems that arnt actually there. Take your practice swing/putt then hit it, do all your thinking before you hit it, not during.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't tend to take a practice swing (although it is something I am trying to bring into my routine but don't want it to fell fake or forced so not using it on the course yet - just trying it onthe range).

I place my club behind the ball, move my right foot and then the left to get the ideal ball position, check my posture making sure my knees are nicely flexed, a small exhale of breath to release tension and then pull the trigger

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a really bad aiming patch so went for lessons and he told me to point club at target, put club behind ball then shuffle feet round, it kind of works most of the time.