What is wrong with a black glove?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can't rationalise it, but some of the biggest choppers I've played with use; ball retrivers, castle tees, chippers and putt with their black glove on.

to borrow a phrase from one of my now deceased forum heroes...weekend warriors the lot

some things just aren't right:D
You old golf snob you!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've used a black golf in winter - oh the shame!

I'd wear one in summer too except it looks to me like black socks and shorts - just a big no no. I only end up chucking gloves away though because they look so manky and mucky after a while and especially so after many sweaty range sessions :eek:

I'm going to try and clean the latest one which is due for the bin!

S

Snelly

This thread makes me want a black glove and a ball retriever.

I saw Mickleson in two black gloves yesterday. He looked beautiful!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wear a black glove wear black shoes carry a chipper and a ball retriever. I drive the ball a maximum 165yrs with a senior shafted driver. I use any ball that I can find even pink ones and some the dog chewed.
My clubs are the only set I have ever had Petron Impala's with a 1 and 2 iron in the set. I buy my golf clothing from charity shops or I ask my fellow members for hand me downs even the ladies?
I get to the club on my bike made up of spare parts from the dump, with my second-hand pencil bag on my back which I have had to darn at the bottom to stop things falling out of the hole that was there.to get out of bunkers I use an old spoon (no it really is an old spoon) and I putt with my foot.:eek:
As long as you tuck your shirt in and stand IN HNSP, you're fine

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I thought wearing black gloves was an undercover advertisement of something. You know, like wearing your jeans below your boxer pants......

It let people know you were a bandit without fashion sense or any sense at all :whistle:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought wearing black gloves was an undercover advertisement of something. You know, like wearing your jeans below your boxer pants......

It let people know you were a bandit without fashion sense or any sense at all :whistle:

I shall wear mine on Sunday with my Loudmouth gear then

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
OK, just saw a comment somewhere and it reminded me, the "funny" twitter accounts ie GCW and PSW also take the mickey out of people wearing a black glove?

Where has this come from and what is the problem with it? I dont get it. PS. I own black glove!

Where would you like me to start... :)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sandy Lyle, 1985 Open, Royal St George's...

The case for the prosecution has no further evidence, your Honour...

View attachment 11558

Sorry, no idea how to make this picture bigger!

I was kinda hoping your were going to be my man on the inside of the industry Jezz, your opportunity to be a trailblazer and front the "black glove love" you have let me down with your glove racism.

kozmos

Assistant Pro
Visit site
nike and footjoy seem to be the only ones whom make black gloves (non all weather)

was in sports direct the other day getting the boy some new footie boots, needed a new glove so went and checked them out.. tried on every glove they had except the dunlop being a bit of a brand snob.. wasnt happy with any of them, so decided to try the dunlops :rolleyes: well.... black glove with green stretchy mesh fabric over the knuckle and one of the softest leathers i've ever felt on the palms.. rrp 13.99 or 2 for eleven squid BARGAIN!!! Best glove ever...

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got grief today for "accepting" a SRIXON lady ball (good for my swing speed), having a Pink Ping shirt on - from someone using pink castle tees.

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have heard in the past but have no evidence for the following:-
Coloured gloves are not as soft due to the dye affecting the fabric and making them 'harder'.

This may be decades old theory with latest materials etc. or who I heard it from could have been making it up!

I have in the past used coloured gloves and probably would again if the price was right.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always used SciFlex gloves as their coloured patches often go well with my myriad of shoes. Yes I am that sad. I've never had a black glove and to be honest not 100% certain I've seen anyone wearing one although I've never checked that closely. Where did the hatred come from. Jezz has produced Lyle as exhibit A but surely the die was cast long before then