What is the scariest situation you have been in?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
737 take off from Naples to Manchester. 30 mins into the flight the air brake on one wing failed, popped up and the wing stalled. 3 hours circling Genoa to burn off fuel then several attempts to land, with the landing speed getting higher and higher as the wing stalled as the speed bled off. Hit the end of the runway at a ridiculous speed and went on forever before it stopped.

Head between your legs and pray.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Following the 'Tics to Wembley in 99 to play the Auto Windscreens final against Millwall.. Got to the top of Wembley Way and went looking for a Pub. Found one called the Duck Inn and popped in for a couple of pints with 3 mates.. Walked straight into the middle of the Millwall firm getting ready for the game..

Stood at the bar with about 50 or so hardcore thugs chanting Millwall songs at us.. The "ringleader" then walked over to us, told us we were Ok for a few pints as he respected our courage.. We got halfway through the first pint then all bolted for the door with the entire firm is pursuit.. Got all the way back to Wembley Way before a couple of mounted plod made them think twice.. I'm not sure my heart has calmed down yet..

Pin-seeker

Visit site
737 take off from Naples to Manchester. 30 mins into the flight the air brake on one wing failed, popped up and the wing stalled. 3 hours circling Genoa to burn off fuel then several attempts to land, with the landing speed getting higher and higher as the wing stalled as the speed bled off. Hit the end of the runway at a ridiculous speed and went on forever before it stopped.

Head between your legs and pray.
Have you flown since?

D

Deleted member 15344

Prob when in the IRF Merlin going from Bastion to a Para Fob and the helo coming under fire , couple of rounds firing into the cab , also an RPG was fired but thankfully off target .

Then when at said FOB in a village in Hellmand being under fire from from some Taliban taking pot shots from a far - I was only there to sort out the IT comms :D - scared witless on a roof

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
1) Being a co-driver in a rally car that left the road and went over a cliff, although the roll cage and other safety equipment did its stuff and I wasn't hurt apart from a very sore back for a day or two.

2) As a glider instructor, having a pupil doing something totally unexpected after a practice cable break on a winch launch. I managed to recover the situation (just) without crashing, but that definitely used up one of my 9 lives. Everybody on the ground was convinced we would both be killed!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I ran out of beer in my beer fridge once. I've not been that scared for ages. Worst 10 minutes of my life, till I got to the offy.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Woke up to find a burglar stood in my bedroom. Thankfully he dropped the screwdriver he was holding (police said the marks on the windows showed he broke in with it) and ran off.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me nearly falling out of a tree when I was about 8
Was this 3 weeks ago or so?:D

On a serious side,
In third place when i had a knife pulled on me

2nd Place , had a guy on drugs doing his nut in the pub one night so i put him asleep , nearly never woke him up , that scared the you know whats outa me .

1st place been told the chap needed an op on his stomach at 6 weeks ,, `thing of nothing seemingly but brain wouldnt accept that

Last edited:

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I ran out of beer in my beer fridge once. I've not been that scared for ages. Worst 10 minutes of my life, till I got to the offy.

I feel your pain
Many a scary moment opening the fridge to find the mrs' alcopops and nothing for me

On a serious note;

As an underage teen we all decided it'd be great to camp in a field between villages after a house party as we were all too drunk to go back to our own home. That night mustve be below zero degrees with wind chill factor and heavy persistent rain that flooded our tent. If i'd knew my way home i'd of started walking but it was pitch black and i had no idea where i was...felt like an age until sunrise and i started making my way home.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing to compare to being shot at, or waiting to kiss your own backside goodbye on a 737

But a self inflicted one, when trying to top out a climb by climbing over the 10ft snow cornice on top of Ben Nevis. Me & my partner, tied together with about 20ft of rope, fixed to nothing, whole thing crumbling around our ears, and nothing but 1000ft of fresh air underneath us. We got over in the end and did nothing but lie in the snow saying f***, f***, f*** .... to each other for about half an hour.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What an odd first post :confused:

My first post was asking about migration. Went down really well on here. I don't have many friends.

re scariest, when I found a bloke dead in a car on the A1 22.10 hrs. Mobile phones were about 2 weeks old and expensive. I might as well of been on the dark side of the moon.

oh ah dk2 welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Being struck by lightning.

And earlier today, having a full anaesthetic for a knee op hoping I'd wake up after it - apparently I did unless I'm writing this in Hell :)

DCB

Visit site
I somehow managed to fall through a cornice above a rather large vertical drop when winter climbing on the Cobbler over Arrochar way. I felt the snow give way and instinctively put my arms out to try and stop myself falling. MY ice axe go a good plant into the frozen snow and somehow I didn't fall right through. It did take a moment or two for my bowels to settle before I was able to extricate myself from that position.

The things we did when we were young :eek: