What is a power draw?

roody829

Visit site
In my last lesson, my instructor had me attempting to hit a power draw. My question is what is the difference between a power draw and a regular draw shot? Is there one? Thanks ✌️

roody829

Visit site
Is it as simple as that lol. Is it about transferring more speed into the ball with a cleaner connection? There must be a reason it’s called a power draw ?

D

Deleted member 25172

Sounds like a nicer way of him to ask you to hook it, without the negative connotations that come with it. And from there, learn how to hit an actual draw.

roody829

Visit site
Sounds like a nicer way of him to ask you to hook it, without the negative connotations that come with it. And from there, learn how to hit an actual draw.
That makes sense. So over exaggerate a normal draw in order to better learn what a draw feels like ?

D

Deleted member 3432

In my last lesson, my instructor had me attempting to hit a power draw. My question is what is the difference between a power draw and a regular draw shot? Is there one? Thanks ✌️

I would have thought he would be explaining to you the reasoning for hitting that shot.

Always ask if you are unsure why the the pro is asking you to do something.

Are you a slicer by any chance?

roody829

Visit site
I would have thought he would be explaining to you the reasoning for hitting that shot.

Always ask if you are unsure why the the pro is asking you to do something.

Are you a slicer by any chance?
Yes I have a tendency to leave the face slightly open which occasionally causes a nasty slice. I guess by exaggerating closing it, it will get me to a better position quicker

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
He's just getting you to hit a big hook as a way of exaggerating the changes needed.

Calling it a "power draw" is just in his head, just a made up expression that goes the opposite way to the equally poorly named "power fade" ?‍♂️??
But wait - telling your mates that your coach has taught you how to hit a 'power draw' or a 'power fade' sounds impressive - especially as they most likely won't have a clue what you are talking about. They'll nod in appreciation at your new-found golfing abilities...but you'll most likely not be able to tell them when you've hit one - or that you are going to hit one - as opposed to a hook or a slice ;)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My pro also had me working on this.

The two tips were to fire the hips first, not by them going early but by holding off swinging my arms down instead. So my swing goes as normal but I intentionally try to not move the arms when I do on an iron swing but a fraction of a second later. It’s super hard to explain and very easy to misinterpret as moving the hips before you normally do, which would kill the swing completely.

The second is to not flick the hands over but try to intentionally deliver a closed face, too much and it snaps left but with practice you can add more draw without the hook. In reality this is just changing me from slightly openly to square but it is hard work!

For me the key was not changing anything else from my swing that was a slight fade or miss right, ie all on plane but open face, just holding my hands back a little later than my hips. I have not tried the hands thing yet as it seems a lot of work and I am happy with my now straight shot or a slight draw. It seems too much for me right now to add in the hands thing and just aim left still until I do.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
With saving_par on this and double check with the pro as to why he's getting you to do it. Sounds like an over emphasis drill to get the feeling of clearing better. It's not an unusual thing in a lesson and so hopefully when you go and practice it, the feeling will eventually find a "normal" range and you'll be turning better, compressing and may even get that soft draw a lot of players look for