What I record at the range

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thought it easier to answer Nico's question from MWJ's thread by starting a new one.

I hit balls in groups of ten using a single club and record average distance, plus the number of shots left (wrong line therefore over drawn, right (no wrist therefore pushed) or on target. Plus the complete duffs. Three months worth in the note book now really helps. Would like to do it on the course too but worry it would slow hings?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I presume your range is like a normal practice ground where you take your own balls out to hit. How do you measure how far you hit each shot. Do you take into account wind speed and direction (my practice ground is situated so the prevailing wind is always into and from the left - not a good combination)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the range to work out what sort of pattern is emerging with my direction. I do keep an eye on the distance, but not to the extent of making notes or anything. The reason why a range is good is because I lay a length of shaft/pipe/whatever along the target line between my feet and the ball. Sometimes, you can get the wrong impression on the course of where it's going because there is no "control" for alignment.

If you want to record what happens on the course, can you not do it retrospectively? (after the round). I played 2-3 hours ago and can remember the lot.....?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did nico ask the same question as me???
Tony - sorry, my mistake. I must have been in idiot mode.

Homer. No, it's a public range, but I've mapped out the various points from google earth so can tell how far the carry is. (don't record for driver/woods as its too diificult to judge where they land). I don't record wind speed/direction but take it into account if I'm hitting longer or shorter than usual.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
tis ok, thought i had missed somethin. thanks for starting the thread. Hopefully people will add to it and i can take ideas away!