What grip ?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Use whatever's comfortable.

A pro wanted to change mine from baseball as I "would struggle to get below 15". Changed pro, got down to 6, with minimal practice.

The ball doesn't know how you hold it.

D

Deleted member 1147

I use overlap
Handicap 2.2

I have long thin hands and fingers.

A Pro changed me from interlock to overlap, thinking it may help me become less handsy down towards impact. I think it may have helped for the most part. I think it was done to make the right hand less dominant, Bobmac may advise if this makes any sense.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Interlock current HI 7.8. Lowest was 5.4

I’ve got small hands so having the correct size grip is important.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Interlock current HI 7.8. Lowest was 5.4

I’ve got small hands so having the correct size grip is important.

I also have small hands and never considered using anything other than a standrard sized grip....but just by accident (ebay purchase) I tried a club with a Midsized MCC+4 grip.....loved the comfort and the fact that it helped me have a more relaxed grip (holding a baby bird rather than wringing a chicken's neck)....tried the fatter grip style on all my wedges....really liked the results so converted all the grips to midsized +4 wraps.

I would simply have never considered such big grips as a potential option if this ebay purchase hadn't arrived with such a grip on it.

Mandofred

Visit site
I also have small hands and never considered using anything other than a standrard sized grip....but just by accident (ebay purchase) I tried a club with a Midsized MCC+4 grip.....loved the comfort and the fact that it helped me have a more relaxed grip (holding a baby bird rather than wringing a chicken's neck)....tried the fatter grip style on all my wedges....really liked the results so converted all the grips to midsized +4 wraps.

I would simply have never considered such big grips as a potential option if this ebay purchase hadn't arrived with such a grip on it.
That's what I did a couple of years ago. I wear mens small gloves, but tried a mid sized grip and loved it. If you just go with what golf "experts" tell you, you might be missing out on something that really works for you. I recently ordered some Lamkin full cord midsize that I had to put a few tapes under to get to about the right size.....next time I regrip I'll be putting at least 4 extra tapes on. The Tour Velvet midsize are about the right size....the full cords seem to be a hair smaller.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
That's what I did a couple of years ago. I wear mens small gloves, but tried a mid sized grip and loved it. If you just go with what golf "experts" tell you, you might be missing out on something that really works for you. I recently ordered some Lamkin full cord midsize that I had to put a few tapes under to get to about the right size.....next time I regrip I'll be putting at least 4 extra tapes on. The Tour Velvet midsize are about the right size....the full cords seem to be a hair smaller.

I’ve just taken of the a set of plus 4 with extra tape and replaced with standard grips and one layer.

They feel more comfortable now and I’m striking the irons loads better.

Mandofred

Visit site
I’ve just taken of the a set of plus 4 with extra tape and replaced with standard grips and one layer.

They feel more comfortable now and I’m striking the irons loads better.
That's why I think people should experiment more. What works for one person doesn't mean it works for everybody.

JSims

Visit site
I started preferring Baseball, as an ex Hockey, Cricket (and Tennis) player. But it only took a small amount of convincing by a Pro before changing to overlap.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Have you tried jumbo grips?

Mandofred

Visit site
Have you tried jumbo grips?
I have, and I have small hands. I bought a set of extra small Jumbo grips (as was pointed out at the time...extra small, Jumbo?) a couple of years ago to try. Just a hair too big for me to be comfortable with. I could have got along with them ok if I'd kept them though. I try not to let my hands move around a lot and the larger grips work for that real well.

RichA

Visit site
HI up to 18.5 at the moment and struggling with form. I use interlocking grip.
Midsize grips on my modern irons, which I'm not currently enjoying but standard grips on my older MP-60s, with which I'm showing slight improvement.
Weirdly, as a cricketer, I'd never tried a 10-finger grip until this morning at the range, where I decided to give it a try. It felt strange but was very consistent with the irons. Dreadful with the driver.

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
Interlock. 18.8 currently. Have been considering trying overlap as I’ve weakened my grip and the interlock doesn’t feel as, er, interlocked and I tend to creep round stronger again. But as with anything, it feels weird so would probably try to mess with it a bit in the off-season when I am not playing as many rounds and have time to persevere a bit on the range

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After years of baseball I've moved to over lap for most full shots. No real reason behind it. Just fiddled with the grip after struggling for a bit and settled for a stronger overlap grip.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
1.1 atm
Baseball grip.
Changed about 7-8 year ago, overlap feels like I’m not even gripping the club and interlock really hurts the last knuckle of my right pinky finger.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
This thread has got me thinking.
My fingers and hands are possibly going to become a little weaker as I age through my 60s and I might try baseball after 50 years of overlap.
I've already tried a few swings in the garden and some of my older clubs (1950s) feel like I might benefit from baseball grip.

I've even tried the left thumb outside the right hand and round the grip rather than down the grip. I posted a picture (post#15) of Francis Ouimet holding the club this way. The thumb rests between index finger and middle finger and does not touch the grip at all. It feels really fierce - like you're going to crush down on the ball. That might have been useful with old hickories from difficult lies. I might try that grip for putting, however - it feels quite comfortable for that.

I've always used reverse overlap for putting - left index finger over right hand pinkie.
I've been a fairly good putter over the years. It was the first part of the game I learnt to do before even attempting to do anything else.

Oh, HI went from 4.6 to 4.5 yesterday (or overnight or whatever)