What does Augusta look like at the moment?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've played a few courses in Georgia and it is normal practice to overseed the dormant grasses every year. As stated, the courses play as normal, just look a bit odd. Think scorched links course in a hot dry summer, different colour same result.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
isn't this the whole point they have it in March??

We have a couple of guyss who live in Georgie, who come over to Nairn and play for the summer as it just gets too hot there in the summer

D

Deleted member 1147

I see the grass is now green at Augusta.
Who’d have thunk it?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of green spray paint in places .. camera doesn’t pick it up. There will be a touch up team the week before.... well that’s what happens at the F1 circuits

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
How did you find that? Kept clicking to try and get a date but couldn’t

Every Google Earth Pro image that I look at has image info in a banner at the bottom - Imagery Date, Latitude, Longitude, ground above sea level and image height. HTH

D

Deleted member 1147

I find it extremely hard to believe those photos were taken 10 days apart.

Re the OP, I'm sure we'll see Augusta playing and looking very similar to always.
I can only go by what the author says

sunshine

Visit site
Apart from an absence of Spring flowers! :ROFLMAO: But knowing that lot, they'll get the seasons moved!

I expect they have flowers in a greenhouse somewhere and will transport thousands in ready for the tournament.

Trust me, the azaleas and dogwoods etc don't just all naturally bloom at the same time every year to coincide with the normal April Masters week ;)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I know... when I was there one of the marshals told me about an event there a member looked up from his shot to complain about a mobile phone mast he could see in the distance. A call was made to the company...and the mast was gone within a couple of weeks. Even if that isnt true, it says plenty.

It's amazing what they achieve with a huge supply of cheap labour and a massive budget! :)

sunshine

Visit site
I know... when I was there one of the marshals told me about an event there a member looked up from his shot to complain about a mobile phone mast he could see in the distance. A call was made to the company...and the mast was gone within a couple of weeks. Even if that isnt true, it says plenty.

It's amazing what they achieve with a huge supply of cheap labour and a massive budget! :)

I once chatted to a guy who had worked there as a greenkeeper (just a temp building up to the tournament). The job sounded more like the Chelsea flower show than golf course prep.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I believe that Augusta is not available to play in the summer months and plays in the spring for the Masters (and now Women's amatuer) and the members play in the autumn.

There is huge variances in grass over in the states due to the extreme summer temperatures. So clubs that play through the summer might have different kinds of grass that they seed for Summer, compared to what is played in the cooler seasons. .

Huge expense and work basically overseeding the course twice a year, but that's what you have to do if you want green grass all year round.

I believe a lot of 'normal' courses, it is pretty much accepted that they will have brown conditions for large parts of the season, depending on what kind of grass is used. Or they may dye the fairways to keep up appearances.