What do you want from an opening hole?

evemccc

Visit site
One of the best 1st holes is found at Royal Cinque Ports. Clubhouse in view as you tee off up the right, but really is a pretty easy par 4 to start with. You walk off and breath...only to get chewed up by the next 17
Hardest course I’ve played by a country mile

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I started birdie, par, birdie, par, bogie the other week. Scored one more point on the next four holes...?????
Net?

Most courses I have played tend to have a pretty boring straightforward first hole. Very often it is the weakest hole on the course. I have wondered in the past whether this is something designers do to ease you into your round.

Have you played Market Rasen off the whites?
452yds, water and trees left, trees right.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I quite like the opening hole at our place. 320 yard par 4 so its only ever a driver and a wedge and with no real trouble. There are trees to the right but the prevailing wind usually helps slices and there loads of room out left. Its a nice gentle opener.

The only daunting thing is the tee being right in front of the clubhouse so you're teeing off in front of a crowd at the weekend.

Its then followed by a 220 yard par thats usually into the wind and an entirely different prospect altogether! A four on there is a good score.

Roctar

Visit site
Net?

Have you played Market Rasen off the whites?
452yds, water and trees left, trees right.
And Got to hit a draw, semi blind, long 2nd shot over the big dip, that might be down hill to the raised green. Not the easiest starts in the county.

ArthurFarr

Visit site
A birdie...and I got one today!

Seriously though, the first hole at my course is an easy par 5. Feel that in the middle of a round it would be a guaranteed par but it seems wasted as the first hole (apart from today)!