What do you think about during your swing?

jcooper5083

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

got to thinking about how much we trust our swing that we have worked on in practice and how much muscle memory comes in to it so wondered when you are on the course playing a round what do you think about during your swing?

jcooper5083

Club Champion
Visit site
This is what I was hoping someone would say.

I believe I am over thinking my golf on the course far too much and I need to trust the practice I have put in, the swing I have developed and the consistancy I am getting on the practice area.

SamQuirkePGA

Club Champion
www.samquirke.co.uk
These are currently my thoughts:

P1 to P3 more hinge.
P3 to P4 more thoracic extension.
P4 to P5 more palmar, shallow shaft.
P4.5 to P7 pelvis back & pitch elbow.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If anything the path I'm swinging on for the way down or the exit/finishing point of my hands.. or even where I'm starting the ball but everything else has taken part before I swing the club, including my 'swing trigger' per se. Once I'm set up correctly I'm good to go so never really worry during my swing, I've made all the decisions... I'm happy with what I'm about to do, so I do it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Usually too much. Then get frustrated if it doesn't go well and then it's "see that ball Amanda, yes that ball....see this club Amanda...damned well hit one with the other" - at which point I totally nail it. So the next few are similar with no thought except hitting the ball I can see with the middle of the club in my hands (when I do this the ball seems huge and the task ridiculously easy!), and then I start to question what I'm doing that works so well and the merry go round starts again.

Gotta love this game!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm guilty of a few thoughts, the list is getting shorter!!

1. Keep left arm straight
2. Full shoulder turn
3. Swing through the ball dont hit at the ball.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As I address the ball I say quietly to myself 'plane, plane, plane...' and imagine in my mind's eye Ben Hogan's swing finish. My attempt to trigger muscle memeory established from early teens copying Hogan's swing. Then nothing at all during the swing - as best I can.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
In my opinion you should be thinking about things during your swing (anyone who says they think about nothing is lying or plays off 28 h/cap).... but a managable amount of stuff... not 27 things :D The swing only takes 1 second... so one thing for the way back and one thing for the way down should suffice.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my opinion you should be thinking about things during your swing (anyone who says they think about nothing is lying or plays off 28 h/cap).... but a managable amount of stuff... not 27 things :D The swing only takes 1 second... so one thing for the way back and one thing for the way down should suffice.

+1. Exactly what I was thinking.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
on the course
i have a few practice swings with some swing thoughts
when i stand up to the ball i try and just focus on the target

on the range a million and one things

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Not sure that I agree that you should be thinking about things. As you say - it's only a few seconds. If I'm thinking anything into the start of my backswing then maybe I'm thinking 'calm...' But can honestly say that I don't think I think of anything else - certainly nothing 'mechanical'. Why would I want to be thinking anything during my swing?

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I honestly couldnt tell you what im thinking. Before I play the shot i will have a look from behind the ball and try to visualise what i would like to do, so may think soft fade, or aim at the point there.
I would imagine there are some thoughts going through my head, but I dont conciously think about any of them when swinging.