What do you find effective in high winds?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Interestingly we had an email saying we won't be closed and if you want to play you do so at your own risk....but please take care
And if you feel it's too windy then please don't play....
:unsure:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I remember arriving at St Andrews New one June day some years ago. There is an altimeter on the clubhouse which was showing 35-40 mph. The guy pointed out that was at single story roof level and was probably higher further up. Three of us, 2 decent single figures and a very good +1 from East Lothian went out. The wind was against going out.

The 1st is a short hole of about 350 yards. The +1 hit a 1 iron off the tee and the same off the deck and was still short. There is a short par 5 on the front, probably a decent get on in 2 candidate. I was the only one to get on in 3, with a driver, 3 wood and 5 iron that barely got above nose height. We all hit driver at the 180-odd yard par 3 at the far end of the course, Nobody got near the green.

The back 9 was the opposite. Going over every green if you didn't try to drop it 30 yards short. After the round, the +1 said that if he had to play in those conditions every week, he would take up snooker instead.
A mate and I had a Weekend pass to New & Jubilee where day 2 was similar conditions. but wind straight off the North Sea. We laughed at the anemometer too. Par 3 9th was a challenge to reach in 2! I was short on the short Par 3 13th with Driver! Great fun (thinking about it afterwards) once though!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am so hit or miss in high winds. It's boom or bust for me. I do try and slow down and try to be "smoother" and if it works then superb but often it goes wrong and I end up going the other way.

It's mostly a mental thing in wind. If you can perservere then you hav a chance. If you go balls to the wall and thrash at it like a deranged chimp like I do then.....

Played Hayling today in strong winds - interesting to say the least - blown off my feet a few times

Believe the wind was around 45knots
You must be crazy if you attempted to play in 45 knot winds ?

I’ve played in very windy conditions over the years I would never think to play if the wind was that strong.

Are you sure it was that strong?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
D

I’ve played in very windy conditions over the years I would never think to play if the wind was that strong.

Didn’t mean to quote you Captainron?

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s what I believe the local weather station said - and yes it was crazy but fun

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Playing in 45 knots and getting blown off your feet is surely a sign its a pointless exercise. You can't score well no matter how good a golfer you are and the chances are the ball would be moving on the green. Any pro event would be delayed

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Used to be a member of a course in Surrey downs, even on still dats it played with a breeze so gusty days were awesome. So much fun creating shots in amber warning conditions, watching flush 3 woods hit 50mph head wins and fall out the sky at 125-140 yards is funny as heck!

sea ford head will be awesome in this weather, you’ll work it out.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Th
Used to be a member of a course in Surrey downs, even on still dats it played with a breeze so gusty days were awesome. So much fun creating shots in amber warning conditions, watching flush 3 woods hit 50mph head wins and fall out the sky at 125-140 yards is funny as heck!

sea ford head will be awesome in this weather, you’ll work it out.

That again is just plain crazy it’s impossible to play golf in 50mph wind.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would take some of these with a large pinch of salt. Just had a look at Newquay airport and the wind is only just starting to hit 50mph in the gusts. Anyone who thinks they've played/could play in tht is a fantasist!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Course closed with a review at 9:30am to assess strength of wind and what is forecast (pretty noisy outside at the moment). We’ve been doing a lot of tree thinning, trimming and removal recently and there will be loose branches still in the trees, and branches and limbs weakened as a result that could come down.

Imurg

Visit site
As expected we are open....and I bet there's a few complete jackasses up there just trying to prove a point...and they're probably wearing shorts too..

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site

I played in that meet as well - windfinder.com reckons it had ramped up to 27kts (31mph) wind speed with gusts of 40kts (46mph) by the early afternoon as we were playing the last few holes… so not quite as bad as Phil thought, but it was the windiest I’ve ever played in I think. A big wooden bench by the practice green had blown over as we left the 18th.

Led to some interesting conversations on the tees about how far wide of target to aim etc.

Last edited:

Imurg

Visit site
As expected we are open....and I bet there's a few complete jackasses up there just trying to prove a point...and they're probably wearing shorts too..
I stand corrected.
Nobody has turned up so they've closed up.
To be fair, it's starting to get a bit feisty here now....we've hard worse winds than right now but its building..
Strangely, every now and again, the wind dies off to virtually nothing for a couplemof minutes and then gets back to it.

TeeRev

Visit site
Both Seaford courses are closed today so not a golfer in sight, looking out from my eyrie I can see an occasional walker still braving the climb up the Head and a little while ago a lone mountain biker was battling the hill, looked very wobbly! High spring tide was a few minutes ago, the sea is a mass of white foam with massive breakers on the beach and Newhaven lighthouse has disappeared in the spray! My sunshade slats are fluttering wildly but it's holding up at moment, hope it's still there tomorrow as it will be expensive to replace!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I once went out at Sunbury in 40 mph winds for a bet with the GM that I could not break 80 off the whites (par is 68, SSS was 65). I made a five foot putt on the 18th for a 79. Still one of the best rounds I've ever played. It was hard to stand up to putt and chip. But I did reach the 170-yard par-3 11th - by crushing a 3-wood about 10 feet off the ground.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some
Both Seaford courses are closed today so not a golfer in sight, looking out from my eyrie I can see an occasional walker still braving the climb up the Head and a little while ago a lone mountain biker was battling the hill, looked very wobbly! High spring tide was a few minutes ago, the sea is a mass of white foam with massive breakers on the beach and Newhaven lighthouse has disappeared in the spray! My sunshade slats are fluttering wildly but it's holding up at moment, hope it's still there tomorrow as it will be expensive to replace!

Some people don’t respect weather conditions enough, you just have to see the mountain rescues there are in the winter.

A few years ago here in Shetland we had 2 tourists camping near high cliffs in winter they didn’t listen to the local forecast and when the weather came they we’re blown off the cliffs and killed.

Some of the posts encouraging golfers to play Seaford head in extreme weather was madness.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Course closed but clubhouse open (can't imagine anyone venturing up for a drink although we are suppose to be having bingo up there tonight). Not sure if we'll be open tomorrow depending on any damage today