What do you find effective in high winds?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Staying at home! My game is hopeless in the wind, it just messes with my head too much. On Sunday I shanked 3 punch shots off the tee. That's a shot I have no problem playing well on a quiet day

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Why's that?

I would be utterly amazed if that course remains open in 50mph winds.

If it is, the most effective thing you could do is tie yourself to an anchor to prevent yourself being blown off the top of the cliffs. That or an appointment with a psychiatrist to establish the state of your mental health; that course in 50mph winds would be utter madness.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When it’s breezy, swing it easy.

Having now played Silloth in some ridiculous winds the thing that works best is clubbing up and swinging easy - basically, don’t try to swing aggressively.

Hitting a full 6 iron into a 100 yard par 3 takes some convincing the brain that it’s the right thing to do ?
This.

I first started playing on a links course on the NE coast, wind was a constant. The best players in that kept a smooth swing, didn't give it 'extra'. It's surprisingly hard to do but it does work.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play in the windiest place in the uk there’s no way anyone can play golf in 50 mph winds. That’s storm force 9 impossible to play golf in that.

Yep. 59mph mean is Storm or 10 on Beaufort. 50mph is Severe Gale.

Not criticising, agreeing that people generally over estimate wind speeds masssively. Anything over 40 mph can blow you off your feet.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember arriving at St Andrews New one June day some years ago. There is an altimeter on the clubhouse which was showing 35-40 mph. The guy pointed out that was at single story roof level and was probably higher further up. Three of us, 2 decent single figures and a very good +1 from East Lothian went out. The wind was against going out.

The 1st is a short hole of about 350 yards. The +1 hit a 1 iron off the tee and the same off the deck and was still short. There is a short par 5 on the front, probably a decent get on in 2 candidate. I was the only one to get on in 3, with a driver, 3 wood and 5 iron that barely got above nose height. We all hit driver at the 180-odd yard par 3 at the far end of the course, Nobody got near the green.

The back 9 was the opposite. Going over every green if you didn't try to drop it 30 yards short. After the round, the +1 said that if he had to play in those conditions every week, he would take up snooker instead.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
20 or so mph is quite sporty. 50 mph is silly. I wouldn't bother.
Agree. It’s very windy where I play. 10mph is the norm and there are no trees for shelter. The last two rounds I’ve played it’s been blowing 20/25mph with higher gusts. It’s fun occasionally, but gets tiring really quickly.

Anything more and it becomes silly. 50mph is dangerous.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I am so hit or miss in high winds. It's boom or bust for me. I do try and slow down and try to be "smoother" and if it works then superb but often it goes wrong and I end up going the other way.

It's mostly a mental thing in wind. If you can perservere then you hav a chance. If you go balls to the wall and thrash at it like a deranged chimp like I do then.....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ditto to comments about even being able to play in 50 MPH winds. Will you be able to stand up particularly if the gust are as forecast - up to 70

I play a hill top course where 30 MPH winds are quite common. With really strong winds the course might well be closed to danger from falling tree branches

I just accept that there will a lot of distance loss I try to keep the ball down use 2-3 more less lofted clubs and play low 'long pitches and runs. As the saying goes in the breezy swing it easy.

AliMc

Visit site
I remember arriving at St Andrews New one June day some years ago. There is an altimeter on the clubhouse which was showing 35-40 mph. The guy pointed out that was at single story roof level and was probably higher further up. Three of us, 2 decent single figures and a very good +1 from East Lothian went out. The wind was against going out.

The 1st is a short hole of about 350 yards. The +1 hit a 1 iron off the tee and the same off the deck and was still short. There is a short par 5 on the front, probably a decent get on in 2 candidate. I was the only one to get on in 3, with a driver, 3 wood and 5 iron that barely got above nose height. We all hit driver at the 180-odd yard par 3 at the far end of the course, Nobody got near the green.

The back 9 was the opposite. Going over every green if you didn't try to drop it 30 yards short. After the round, the +1 said that if he had to play in those conditions every week, he would take up snooker instead.
The first time I played the Old Course i hit Driver 3 wood and didn't reach the burn, on the plus side the 17th was 3 wood and wedge !

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Dark Sky app says it'll be 50 gusting up to 70. Comedy golf.
Out of interest, what do you mean by "swing easy" and what difference does it make?
Mental, why would anyone even think about golf in that, especially if it's going to rain as well. Zero enjoyment.