What do you find effective in high winds?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Due to play seaford head in Friday... 40% chance of rain throughout the round, but more pressing is the 45-50mph winds.

In recent weeks I've been practicing on the range the stinger/punch style shot with a lot of good effect. But in high winds do you find this shot type most effective or taking extra clubs and hit more easily?

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Due to play seaford head in Friday... 40% chance of rain throughout the round, but more pressing is the 45-50mph winds.

In recent weeks I've been practicing on the range the stinger/punch style shot with a lot of good effect. But in high winds do you find this shot type most effective or taking extra clubs and hit more easily?
You're not playing in 50 mph wind. No chance.

D

Deleted member 18121

Agreed. If it's that windy you're barely standing upright.
Luckily, seaford head is hardly exposed at all....

Ha ha luckily I have a lot of self ballast and I enjoy a challenge ?

RichA

Visit site
Dark Sky app says it'll be 50 gusting up to 70. Comedy golf.
Out of interest, what do you mean by "swing easy" and what difference does it make?

D

Deleted member 18121

Dark Sky app says it'll be 50 gusting up to 70. Comedy golf.
Out of interest, what do you mean by "swing easy" and what difference does it make?

Allegedly less spin imparted on the ball so it shouldn't balloon up into the sky and therefore should maintain some distance.

haha! I'm looking forward to the post round report!

Deal.... I've played it a handful of times this winter and scored 76-83, want to have a stab at a predicted score?

For clarity.... We'll probably do pick and place everywhere.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing in a 50mph wind will not be fun.
Where I play it is windy often. Up to about 30 mph is bearable but very unlikely to play to hcp.
At 50mph, prepare to hit a 5 iron about 100 yards into the wind, putts to be blown off line and for your trolley to be blown over several times.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There is really nothing you can do that will be effective in a 50mph wind. Well, maybe thin every shot into the wind.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If you've got any reverse muscle back irons in your garage, they're supposed to keep the ball down, unlike sole weighted clubs which get it airborne.

1644962820823.png

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got to use your brains in that weather, take a putter for all shots that don't require a carry. See if you can get 150yds of roll as your stock shot :)

Boomy

Visit site
When it’s breezy, swing it easy.

Having now played Silloth in some ridiculous winds the thing that works best is clubbing up and swinging easy - basically, don’t try to swing aggressively.

Hitting a full 6 iron into a 100 yard par 3 takes some convincing the brain that it’s the right thing to do ?