What do you find effective in high winds?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date

RichA

Visit site
Currently at the local range. Weather app says 30mph gusting up to 55. The wind is blowing left to right.
The long irons are dreadful. The wind is just blowing them down into the ground.
Shorter irons are actually working out well, up in the wind, as long as I aim about 30 yards left of target. Glad I'm not a slicer.
I thought it might be a laugh to play golf in this wind. I've changed my mind.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Dougherty always says one of Faldo's best tips is to think of 'soft arms' when it's into the wind. Always quite liked it. What I actually do in real terms will likely resemble nothing of the sort but it's quite a nice swing thought

TeeRev

Visit site
I play at Blatch these days but used to play at the Head and have had quite a few rounds there in silly windy conditions but nothing as strong as what's coming on Friday which is looking positively mental, windguru is predicting 46 knots constant with 71 knot gusts and that pretty well agrees with metcheck's 55 mph/82mph at midday, the Met Office is showing just a little bit less so lets hope they are right.

I used to be a windsurfer and doubt that I would have even tried to sail in that, I did go out at Shoreham in 64 knot gusts once and it was virtually impossible.

If you do play here's a couple of tips for the top holes, take a hammer, tent peg and a bit of line to tie your trolley to so it doesn't blow away or jam it together with your playing partners and wear ski goggles as the horizontal rain will have tiny shards of chalk from the cliffs in it and that bloody hurts your eyes, ask me how I know that!

Can you also post your tee time please as I can see a lot of the holes on the Head from my penthouse and I can try to watch the fun through my binoculars and report back here for the amusement of the forum, that's if I'm not outside trying to hold my sunshade roof on!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Latest BBC news showing inland winds of 70-80mph from the Midlands to the south coast. Going to work and especially getting home again will be a challenge let alone trying to bash a golf ball around

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I’m due to play Royal St David’s on Saturday. Postponed from last weeks storm, maybe postpone it again. I’m hanging on until Friday for a better guess at the weather, but it’s not looking promising.

D

Deleted member 15344

Played Hayling today in strong winds - interesting to say the least - blown off my feet a few times

Believe the wind was around 45knots

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Saturday still gusting around 34-36mph to make it interesting. Any more than this and I think it'll be a futile exercise. I guess it's also dependent on how much damage the wind and rain causes on Friday

1645040350246.png